Archinect
anchor

Commuting to SCI-Arc

MKAT72

I am beginning the M. Arch I program at SCI-Arc this fall and will be commuting from the Valley...do any of you commute from the Valley? Is it going to be difficult?

Apr 28, 05 1:13 pm

just find friends with couches. Or leave a sleeping back or inflatable mattress or something in studio. It'll be doable most of the time, but you'll have to establish limits for yourself on when you will or won't drive home. I spent two years commuting from Long Beach to USC, which is a similar distance, and after several instances of nodding off at the wheel, realized that if it's past 2:30 in the morning, I should just stay in studio.

Apr 28, 05 1:16 pm  · 
 · 
MKAT72

I've been warned about lots of late nights...can you be more specific? What am I in for?

Apr 28, 05 1:19 pm  · 
 · 

I'm not sure what you mean. Architecture is a lot of work, in terms of sheer volume, which necessitates a lot of late nights. I usually leave studio by midnight, but sometimes I stay over. Since I'm at USC, not Sci-Arc, I'm not sure what sort of specifics I can give you... except that it's worth staying in studio until at least 8pm to avoid rush hour!

Apr 28, 05 1:31 pm  · 
 · 
corbustier

What part of the Valley?

Apr 28, 05 1:34 pm  · 
 · 
MKAT72

Van Nuys -

What I meant to ask is how long one typically works in the studio...midnight? 1AM? 2AM? I know the hours will vary, but on average???

Apr 28, 05 1:41 pm  · 
 · 
tzenyujuei

If its before a deadline you could be there all night into the morning etc etc... it really depends on ur work ethic and how close it is to a pin-up and/or presentation. Its hard to give you a time... If your not too rushed, I say roughly the midnight - 1 am before a minor pin-up sounds about right but you could always work from home if you have ur arch. supplies there and you have a car to transport your work.

Apr 28, 05 1:48 pm  · 
 · 

it's a really sporadic thing that depends on how close you are to a deadline. Some days I don't work in studio at all (*gasp*, I know that's sacreligious here), one time I worked for four days, three nights, straight through. It all depends on 1) what you need to get done, and 2) how fast/slow of a worker you are. Some things take me days that take other people hours, and visa versa. How much time you spend in studio will be determined by your own skills and work habits, not by any sort of average. If you have a problem being there late at night, come in early in the morning. You control the hours.

Apr 28, 05 1:49 pm  · 
 · 
corbustier

It really depends on how much you want to put into your work.
I know people who pulled all nighters regularly, and others who went home by 10 every night. But be prepared to work very hard, consistently, without relief. The first semester is probably the worst, but you'll get used to the pace eventually.
In any event, you will probably working past rush hour, so without traffic, a commute to Van Nuys will take approx. 20 min.

Apr 28, 05 1:52 pm  · 
 · 
strlt_typ

from where you're staying, you'd want to end up on Ventura blvd. which is where the Metro Rapid bus runs (check metro rapid stops, only stops on some major intersections). take the Metro Rapid to the Universal City Red Line station....at this point you would've used up approximately an hour of your time...take the Red Line to Civic Center stop(30 minutes).... exit the station at 1st street then take Dash A, which stops on 1st street outside of the civic center station...the Dash A stops in front of bloom's on traction and hewitt....pick up some cigs from blooms, coffee and some supplies at the store and then walk to school...

or you can get off at Union Station, instead of civic center, and walk to school for your exercise...

it will take you 2 hours to get to school...

as far as getting home, the last red line from union station to the valley is around 12:00-12:30 am...check...

i'd suggest bringing a bike along

Apr 28, 05 3:41 pm  · 
 · 
strlt_typ

maybe a foldable one...

Apr 28, 05 3:42 pm  · 
 · 
strlt_typ

if you miss the last train then you're sleeping at school...

Apr 28, 05 3:43 pm  · 
 · 

ok, working off of dammson's post- I think we were all assuming you had a car. If not, find a new place to live. You just don't want to do that through public transportation- way too much of your life would be spent in transit.

Apr 28, 05 3:46 pm  · 
 · 
MKAT72

dammson...

thanks for the detailed directions - but
How about I get in my car and drive instead? I'll skip on the coffee and cigs...do they have tea?

:)

Apr 28, 05 3:46 pm  · 
 · 
strlt_typ

if you drive during rush hours...it could take you 2 hours to get to school as well...

Apr 28, 05 4:17 pm  · 
 · 
strlt_typ

shit...i assumed you wanted to take public transportation...

Apr 28, 05 4:24 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: