Archinect
anchor

Heavy Trash

popeye

Can anyone out there in LaLa Land shed some light on this organization?

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&u=/nm/20050427/en_nm/art_enclaves_dc

Apr 28, 05 12:25 pm
FRO

wow, what a depressing article.

People tried to bring a social issue to light, but nobody really noticed or cared. More news at 11.

Apr 28, 05 12:53 pm  · 
 · 
duke19_98

You can't change the world by installing catchy art pieces, especially when you design them above your target audience's level of comprehension. Not that I don't agree with Heavy Trash's overall foundation, but they may need to take a look at the goals of the organization, figure out who their audience is, and tailor their efforts toward them. Otherwise they risk becoming a organized group of artistic people bitching about how the world sucks.

Apr 28, 05 1:43 pm  · 
 · 

"they risk becoming a organized group of artistic people bitching about how the world sucks."

but isn't that what we are and what we do already?

maybe it some sort of socio-political-architectural masturbation for them... anyone here participate and would care to further inform us?

Apr 28, 05 1:55 pm  · 
 · 
el jeffe

The top of the stairs really should have some text or images relating to their implicit critique of gated communitites. As art pieces i think they're underdeveloped. As a concept i think it is brilliant.

Apr 28, 05 1:58 pm  · 
 · 

I don't think that a "organized group of artistic people bitching about how the world sucks" HAS to be a bad thing. They just need to figure out how to bitch about it in a more understandable (to the average person) way, then they could maybe be engaging in constructive bitching. I thought it was really telling that the people in the neighborhood thought it was a construction scaffold or something.

Apr 28, 05 2:00 pm  · 
 · 
Bryan Finoki

Well the story has certainly circulated the news, so on that level their tactic of merely trying to alarm us about the rise of gated communities has been successful (but maybe within the internet crowd only, I am not sure). as an art intervention, i think it is pretty cool that a group of architects and planners are installing projects in places which flag barriers and raise questions about them: access to parks, pitiful LA transit system, rise of gated communities. but yeah, you hope there is more to their game than flag waving with groovy art pieces. but i dont view every little art protest as some great goal of trying to change the world. thats too arrogant. who says that is what they are trying to do? why can't their goals with this project be as simple as targetting an urban issue, in hopes that we will take another look at the types of communities we are allowing to get built, almost unchecked in every way? presumably since they work in the industry they are also pursuing goals aimed at combattng this? baby steps.

I agree with the comment about adding some educational info to the piece about gated communities. But I don’t think we should expect too much of this type of project, jsut maybe let it be the small success it is. I actually like its subtley, its peripheral commentary, almost meant to blend in and be unnoticed.

Apr 28, 05 2:05 pm  · 
 · 
blaster

If anyone has an interest in Guerrila Art or Critical Art check out The Institute for Applied Autonomy at http://www.appliedautonomy.com and make sure to check out their associates. I do agree somewhat with your rebuttle to their approach but don't underestimate the value of critical artists. They bring about discourse to interdisciplinary settings. And besides anytime the suburbs get a fuck you, I am all for it.

Apr 28, 05 2:32 pm  · 
 · 
pasha

kids and their tantrums..

parents didn't spank them when it was time, and now a whole community has to deal with them..

Apr 28, 05 2:35 pm  · 
 · 
ether

now's it going to get interesting.

why do you say that pasha? had any heavy trash dumped in your yard?

Apr 28, 05 3:05 pm  · 
 · 
fakeid

attention was their intention. i say be indifferent, let them rot and decompose.

Apr 28, 05 3:07 pm  · 
 · 
sameolddoctor

pixelwhore,

""they risk becoming a organized group of artistic people bitching about how the world sucks."

but isn't that what we are and what we do already?"

if thats your definition of being an architect, i hope you do not wonder why we are underpaid and overworked

Apr 28, 05 9:08 pm  · 
 · 

i lived in LA when they did the aqua line west side extension and it was brilliant.

Apr 28, 05 10:09 pm  · 
 · 

sameolddoctor: it was a tongue-in-cheek comment, thought that came across but I guess not...

Apr 28, 05 10:28 pm  · 
 · 
bUbBLe

the artical was on Tuesday's LA Times as well.. Personally I think at least they tried to do something and willing to take the risk.. I really love the Metro Aqua Line they did a couple years ago..

Apr 28, 05 10:31 pm  · 
 · 
fakeid

brilliant in the eyes of the minority, while the majority doesn't care. it's a perfect explanation for the underpaid-overwork belief. comparing the rest of the architects to the group is like a slap in the face and a wake-up call.

Apr 28, 05 10:32 pm  · 
 · 
imagebytekid

Anyone read cocaine nights by ballard?
all they do anyway is watch international sport on their plasma tv.

Apr 29, 05 1:03 am  · 
 · 
e

my trash is always heavy.

Apr 29, 05 11:10 am  · 
 · 
Smokety Mc Smoke Smoke

"You can't change the world by installing catchy art pieces, especially when you design them above your target audience's level of comprehension."

That's right ... so obviously all you have to do is post it on a website and watch as more and more people become aware of it. In many ways, Heavy Trash won its battle.

"Otherwise they risk becoming a organized group of artistic people bitching about how the world sucks. "

So what is the option? Not bitching?

Apr 29, 05 4:13 pm  · 
 · 
duke19_98

"That's right ... so obviously all you have to do is post it on a website and watch as more and more people become aware of it. In many ways, Heavy Trash won its battle."

I don't think so...the fact that a bunch of architecture geeks are talking about heavy trash hardly qualifies a win. As architects, I'd hope most of us already agree with their agenda. I'd think, that they'd want to target the jerk offs that are buying into the idea of gated communities. This audience is not going to react to the cute squatty orange towers.

"so what is the option? Not bitching?"

One option would be to analyze the target audience and tailor the publicity stunts appropriately. I suppose sitting around and bitching about the world is their right...just not to productive.

Apr 29, 05 4:59 pm  · 
 · 
Smokety Mc Smoke Smoke

"I'd think, that they'd want to target the jerk offs that are buying into the idea of gated communities. This audience is not going to react to the cute squatty orange towers."

Perhaps so, Brian. But perhaps the goal is to get attention. And when you live in LA (as I do), when you drive, the only things that are probably going to get my attention are cutesy orange things.

"One option would be to analyze the target audience and tailor the publicity stunts appropriately. I suppose sitting around and bitching about the world is their right...just not too productive."

Again, you may be right. Their project portfolio is not exactly exahustive. Yet, who should be the target of their efforts? Not homeowners. Perhaps local government? The media?

Apr 29, 05 5:17 pm  · 
 · 
duke19_98

As vehicular dependent as LA is, I still don't think the squatty orange towers do the trick. I'm doubtful the level of attention required to understand the pieces would be available as people zip by in their car.

I agree homeowners probably are not the best target. Primary target's should be the government, developers...etc. The media can be exploited for what it is, but its not valuable as a main target. There's already to much garbage there. (pun intended)

Apr 29, 05 5:37 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: