Archinect
anchor

B.Arch Dilemma: Rice vs UT-Austin

EXCEAR

Aspiring to be an architect, a couple of months ago I applied to several colleges known for their architecture schools. Now, having been accepted to some, and with my decision required in the very near future, I am at a standstill in choosing between Rice and UT-Austin for undergrad architecture.

Overall, each University seems to be the opposite extreme of the other, yet their architecture schools are supposedly renowned throughout the country. I visited both schools earlier this month, and I like what I saw at both schools. It seems that Rice focuses strictly on theory-oriented design, while UT is geared to a mix of theory and technical issues. Both arch schools are small: UT is 60students/4studios, while Rice is 24students/1studio, per class level of course. Location is not too great a concern: I've heard a lot of good about Austin, lots of bad about Houston. On the flipside, many people seem happy with the Rice campus. Do such views factor into the school's learning philosophies?

I feel confident about both, and their is nothing that I strictly dislike about either. Are there any alumni or current students that are able to share experiences or advice? Is there any information crucial to making the correct decision? More on the point: which would be a better pick?

Advice is appreciated, thanks!

Apr 27, 05 3:16 pm
tzenyujuei

I know a few Rice architects whom are all excellent designers. They tell me great things about the school and find the area around Rice to be very accomodating. (If you like classical music, Rice has a GREAT music performance program) I am unfamiliar with the UT Austin program but I hear its a nice city to live in.

Apr 27, 05 4:53 pm  · 
 · 
EXCEAR

Rice has one of the happiest student bodies of all Universities in the nation, which is a definite plus. Everyone was friendly to me when I visited, with the same case at UT. I suppose the alumni networks are also strong at both places. It's a rather tough decision...

Thanks for the input.

Apr 27, 05 7:40 pm  · 
 · 
swisscardlite

excear, what are your stats?

Apr 27, 05 7:42 pm  · 
 · 
swisscardlite

excear, what are your stats?. . .just curious, i'd love to get into rice for undergrad

Apr 27, 05 7:43 pm  · 
 · 
EXCEAR

Justin:

When I applied, I did interim decision. I felt it was less hectic, and with an earlier response from Rice, less waiting.

GPA: 3.90, 4.6 weighted.
SAT: 1430 (out of 1600)
SATII: 800 Math IIC, 740 Writing, 740 Physics
Total of 6 AP classes taken in high school.
Attended Stanford University High School Summer College in 2004, took 9 credits.

However, I feel that what truly got me into Rice is visiting, and having an on-campus interview. Somehow I feel it helps, as I did the same at UT, and again got in. At other schools such as Cornell, Syracuse, and Northwestern, where I didn't visit, I got waitlisted. It seems to me that campus visits are underrated.

Hope that helps!

Apr 27, 05 8:26 pm  · 
 · 
driftwood

Hmmm....

I may be a bit of an ass here, but I'm speaking from experience... Smart people don't live in Houston, nor do they want to. I know Rice is really something, but Jesus Christ...

Austin rocks, though. One of only two cities in Texas I'd live in.

Apr 28, 05 2:54 am  · 
 · 
do_arch

A bit of an ass indeed. "smart people don't live in houston" has got to be the most ridiculous comment i've ever heard. Go back to your bong on the couch. i lived in austin for 4 years getting a B.A. in cultural anthropology and must say that it is a really fun town to be in, but as an architect it is severely lacking stimulation and critical dialogue. Just look at the new buildings being built in downtown there (i.e. "the nose hair trimmer"). The dot com generation that still has money in Austin does not know what to spend money on besides cigarette boats and fast cars. For mountain biking, lake sports, live music, and a good party go to Austin, but for intelectual discourse and the challenge confronted by a contemporary global city, go to Houston. Cite, RDA, Rice, U of H, MFAH, Menil, Diverse Works, etc. are just some of the mediums in which architectural dialogue exists in Houston. Austin just does not have the world class architecture and complex urban-architectural issues that you will be confronted with in Houston. For the record, I do not live in either city and did not go to arch school in either, but have lived in both. You want to be in school somewhere that will challenge the way you view and understand the global city. As the 4th largest city in the U.S. and the energy capital of the world, Houston will be a good place for you to study. You also want to chose a school based upon with whom you want to study, so take a look at Carlos Jimenez and Sanford Kwinter to name just two at Rice. Houston is a better place to study architecture and planning, and besides Rice is a much better arch school.

good luck!

Apr 28, 05 11:59 am  · 
 · 
sahar

My vote is for Rice, but I am a Rice graduate so I am biased. I don't know what criteria beyond the programs are helping you choose between the two. I am assuming you are a Texas resident, which would make UT cheaper than Rice, but for all I know Rice could have given you a pot of money.

I liked Houston. Dingle pointed out quite a few good things about it. It is also only a few hours from Austin, Galveston, Dallas/Ft. Worth.

Many people seem to think that if a school appreciates theory it automatically ignores technical issues. I don't think this is true. Rice's undergraduate program gives you a solid architecture background. It has a very structured cirriculum. Many students stick to the cirriculum, taking very few additional courses. If you end up choosing Rice, I suggest that you take one class/year that is something beyond the required cirriculum inside or outside the department.

Apr 28, 05 12:14 pm  · 
 · 
THREADS

and don't forget the internship program at Rice. You will gain more "grounded" knowledge working in an office for one year than tech course offered at UT. My vote is Rice. Beautiful campus, top tier universty, small private education and their undergraduate architecture program is one of the best in the nation.

Apr 28, 05 1:06 pm  · 
 · 
chupacabra

Being from Austin, I would choose Rice. I personally like UofH better than both, great school for undergrad with a ton of resources.

Austin lacks much architecture to be inspired by, where as Houston has a ton of architectural work surrounding you. Rice is within walking distance to the Menil, ROthko Chapel, St. Thomas,etc...a nice area.

Austin is a nicer city than Houston as far as quality of life, but Houston owns Austin as far as design to be inspired by.

Apr 28, 05 1:46 pm  · 
 · 
Seven Costanza

U of H does not campare to Rice or UT. I would go to UT for the sole reason being that is would be VASTLY cheaper. This is undergrad right?

Apr 28, 05 6:11 pm  · 
 · 
EXCEAR

I had a talk with parents yesterday, and I have decided to go to Rice. UT is cheaper, but I'm from Maryland, so I get out-of-state tuition. I liked Austin as a college city though.

Thanks for the input!

Apr 28, 05 10:02 pm  · 
 · 
chupacabra

Well U of H seemed to have been great for Carlos Jimenez. It's just a difference of opinion. I think U of H is way underated, great resources, great professors, most diverse campus in the states...and a lot larger student and professor population to interact with. They also have Industrial Design now in the Arch building. I enjoyed it thouroughly and have visited Rice and UT (I grew up in Austin) but still think U of H has better upside than both - for undergrad anyway. For grad school I would side with Rice.

Ex - glad you were able to make up your mind. Houston is a great city for architecture be it at Rice or UH. Enjoy and good luck!

Apr 28, 05 10:31 pm  · 
 · 
deluganmeisslfan

Good choice. I will be starting Rice in the fall for grad school (option 2). See you there!

Apr 28, 05 10:33 pm  · 
 · 
ichweiB

For what it's worth. I am going to start my MArch at U of H. I too, after visiting, feel that the program is underrated. First, they have great resources and many professors who have done great things for Houston and other areas...one Architect, Donna Kacmar who teaches level I studio, is becoming more popular after winning several awards for her residential design solutions.I think after winning some award she got a grant and was able to actually start a firm that focuses primarily on the revitalization of residential design. They also focus a great deal on design build in which summer courses are dedicated helping the community. I sat in on the last bit of a presentation the level I March studio was giving to a school for an outdoor stage area. This is completely authentic to U of H, and was a big reason as to why I was interested. Anyhow, Houston is a great place for architecture. The Rice/U of H area close to the med center is full of culture and there is a lot to look at. Honestly, I have spent a lot of time in the DFW area and I liked Houston better.
I do have a friend at Rice who just finished up his internship time in New York. Obviously, there is more recognition at Rice; however, he as well as others have commented on the quality of Houston's program-it is somewhat small (I think the March I starts with like 16 students)and not known about, but I have witnessed some awesome things there, and I am looking forward to the experience. And also, with the size of the building, you'd think everyone knew about it...Philip Johnson designed it...sort of a rebrith of classical forms...all that weird stuff he likes to do...God rest his sole.

Apr 29, 05 12:33 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: