Archinect
anchor

In New York for one day only...what do i need to see??

jas

I'm going to be in New York for just one day. What do I need to do, eat, or see for that day only. This is the first time i'm there but I plan on returning.

Apr 26, 05 4:48 pm
norm

monster sushi.

Apr 26, 05 5:22 pm  · 
 · 
bdonn

There is an all day breakfast place at 52nd and 5th Av. East on 52nd.

Order a BLT with a fried egg and cheese. Unreal.

Oh if you have time, maybe check out the MOMA or something... but only if it doesn't get in the way of BLT eating.

Apr 26, 05 5:24 pm  · 
 · 
raj

personally, the folk art museum. just an amazing building that i have NEVER seen adequate pictures.

Apr 26, 05 5:29 pm  · 
 · 
larslarson

what are your interests?...if it were me...
the moma (53), the whitney (75th), central park (59th and up),
the chrysler building (42), the empire state (32), bryant park (42)
the guggenheim (85th or so?)...the met...

on 59th street there's the lever house and brasserie (diller and
scofidio)...if you're into the villages there's union sq 14th...
washington sq park (8th?)...and soho..

basically you need another day.

Apr 26, 05 5:44 pm  · 
 · 
jas

i figured i needed a week...but i have a free day from a business trip so i figured i'd take advantage...

I figured that the new moma would be a must but i'm sure there are places nearby that i shouldn't miss...

Apr 26, 05 7:44 pm  · 
 · 
jas

I will be in Washington, D.C. for 4 days however. What are interestng architectural (contemporary) projects that i must see besides all of the memorials and such.

Apr 26, 05 7:49 pm  · 
 · 
Maestro

Why do you equate architectural with contemporary? Is there no value otherwise?

Apr 26, 05 7:54 pm  · 
 · 
melivt

the new moma is hot, right next to the folk art museum (twbta), and just down from the seagram with the ds+r restaurant, brasserie mentioned above, inside. if you go to dc, DO NOT check out the american indian museum. it's hideous.

Apr 26, 05 9:20 pm  · 
 · 
AP

ya, MoMA, Folk Art, and the surrounding area may be all you have time for.

If you have an evening, go see Movin' Out, a broadway play set to Billy Joel music. seriously.

Apr 26, 05 9:43 pm  · 
 · 
Nancy

I second raj: the folk art museum (todd williams and billie tsien) is really amazing in terms of material--if I remember correctly, the bronze was sculpted/textured using concrete forms. Some might say it's chipboard architecture, but I say it's fabulous nonetheless.

Apr 27, 05 12:39 am  · 
 · 
too degrading

See New York... be a tourist, you can pretend to be a hipster next time... Stay above 14th for as long as you can stand it...Walk as far up and down Broadway as you can. Rizzoli's Book Store (pace Scribners), The Frick, The Plaza( if you can still get in and pretend you are Eloise) Get a dog in Rockefeller Center, visit the Lions in front of the Library, McKim Mead and White frisson at the Villard Houses(Palace Hotel on Madison), Grand Central and the Oyster Bar (with whispers in the groin vaults), skip the Empire State, get bagels on the Westside, use the subway for crapsake and pass out with exhaustion over looking the boat basin in Central Park. Screw MOMA, do the Frick.
And the Folk Art Museum is special. St. Marks Place late at night for the touristica hipster send off that will just make you want more and more. If you're a total snob, just take a cab to the Cloisters and spend the day there. Lovely Romanesque whatnots.

Apr 27, 05 2:41 am  · 
 · 
too degrading

Oh, and have a blast. I would love to visit New York for the first time again. It only happens once.

Apr 27, 05 2:42 am  · 
 · 
Smokety Mc Smoke Smoke

Koronet Pizza near the Cathedral Stop (110th and Broadway)

Apr 27, 05 3:08 am  · 
 · 
Medit

how about Raimund Abraham's Austrial Cultural Forum? is it worth a visit? and Kevin Roche's Ford Foundation?

Apr 27, 05 4:23 am  · 
 · 
Medit

*Austrian Cultural Forum

Apr 27, 05 4:24 am  · 
 · 
The Thriller in Manila

You need to stay another day

Apr 27, 05 4:29 am  · 
 · 
AP

the Austrian Cultural forum is ok, but not worth going out of your way for (because you have only one day, otherwise I would say go for it). Most of the bldg is private, but the public spaces often have an exhibition in them. The outside is what it's all about. Once inside it becomes clear in the detailing that Abraham has built few projects (and I understand and appreciate that he excels elsewhere; ie theory, education...).

Apr 27, 05 10:51 am  · 
 · 
PeteyPablo

Roche's Ford Foundation is THE best building in New York City

Apr 27, 05 12:42 pm  · 
 · 
hckybg

and when you are at st mark's place, go to the milkshake store (closes around nine, as I recall)
i am sure everyone here will get upset about my saying it, but the prada store is worth fifteen or twenty minutes. ask to see the dressing rooms, walk around. it is the only koolhaas space i had been in and i went there a few times when i lived in ny for a summer. it is unusual and I think well done. personally, I would start at grand central (inside) and walk up park avenue for about twenty blocks, to see the seagram bldg, lever house, the streetscape. you could cut over to the moma, but if you have limited time i would suggest going to the neue gallerie instead, at around 5th and 86th. the cafe has the best coffee in ny and the museum is amazing and amazingly detailed.

in dc, which is where i live now, you will have to be willing to see a wider range of styles. i would walk up 16th street from the white house to the area around U street, walk along U street and get some cake at cake love and see an interesting neighborhood, walk around the watergate (a much underrated building) and past the kennedy center, see the old executive office building and walk over to the mall. the classics are pretty good as architecture, as is the hirschhorn and the east wing of the national gallery, which has a fantastic 20th century collection (among others). if you want to get off the beaten track, see some charles goodman architecture in hollin hills, visit reston and greenbelt, and see dulles.

Apr 27, 05 5:18 pm  · 
 · 
norm

actually the best plan is not to have a plan -- just start walking.

Apr 28, 05 8:34 am  · 
 · 
zepplin100

my suggestion is to only plan two things. one pre lunch and one post. I've made the mistake of wanting to do too much before, result being that I spent most of that day in a cab. no bueno! traveling between locations eats up a lot of time as does stopping for different oddities you will surely encounter. That cracked out half naked man wearing only a garbage bag will be ignored by most New Yorkers, but it will surely peak your curiosity. After you run to the other side of the street you will loiter around pointing at him and taking pictures, eating up precious minutes. Its just gonna happen. Moma & Met will all take up a HUGE chunk of your time and even spending the whole day there will not do the collections justice. One day is simply not enough time to grasp anything so I think it would be good idea to listen to norm for a change (j/k), best plan would be not to have a plan.

peak at the new Hearst Tower by central park. Its looking mighty sharp if I do say so myself, perhaps you'll snap a few pictures to share with us.

Apr 29, 05 2:25 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: