Archinect
anchor

Relocating to LA...

James

anyone have a good lead on a nice place to live? West Hollywood / wilshire & la brea area seem like decent neighborhoods and close to my new job. I don't know the city well enough to find the coolest neighborhoods......I just don't want to be in the damn ghetto.

I've been doing the craigslist thing, just wondering if anyone else had an idea.

Apr 26, 05 2:13 pm

I've lived in Culver City for nearly a year now, and it's been quite nice, inexpensive, and if you live near the Culver Junction area, there are many shops, restaraunts, etc. within walking distance (which I enjoy). Venice is also very fun, if you can afford it.

Are you planning to visit anytime before the relocation? Just a thought, since some apartments won't rent to those who have not viewed it, being afraid of people defaulting when they finally do see it. This would also give you a chance to check out the different areas of the city for yourself.

Silverlake is pretty 'in' right now, and I happen to have an affinity for the Hollywood blvd. area, but other than that I don't know what to tell you. What are you looking to spend on an apt? Actually, I realize I'm assuming you're a renter like me. Am I correct, or are you looking to buy? Where are you going to be working at?

Apr 26, 05 2:26 pm  · 
 · 
James

rationalist....

thx for your input. I went down last weekend and checked out a couple of neighborhoods to get a feel for my comfort level in different areas. I'm working on the 6000 block of Melrose on the East side of Hollywood. I've found a couple addresses very close to work, but the neighborhoods too far East of that area seemed pretty shady. I'm really thinking Silverlake would be cool....no freeways to work.

Unfortunately, I'm still a renter. I'm trying not to spend more than $1000/ month + utils. But less than that would, of course, be ideal.

Apr 26, 05 2:42 pm  · 
 · 
citizen

"I just don't want to be in the damn ghetto."

Can you clarify this?

Apr 26, 05 2:45 pm  · 
 · 
James

let say the neighborhoods around Vermont and Normandie @ Santa Monica Blvd didn't feel like a safe place to be walking around at night.

Apr 26, 05 2:50 pm  · 
 · 
Archi-F

Good luck finding something on your budget. It looks like you're going to have to get a roommate.

Apr 26, 05 2:56 pm  · 
 · 
A Center for Ants?

$1000 is doable tho tough.

live close to work. commuting is a royal pain in LA. people drive while reading scripts (i've seen this several times including once just two days ago). drive on the phone. people here like driving 10 mph

but i digress... i'm living in west LA (just south of westwood) and it's 1595 for a 2 bedroom that i share with a friend (who's actually leaving in a month or two).

westwood has some decent deals if you dont' mind the UCLA scene. culver city is a pretty good bargain. downtown has some bachelors that you might be able to afford but you gotta live downtown... i liked West LA neighborhoods the best. they vary, but many are reasonably priced, and it's close to most things. neighborhoods aren't too bad if you're willing to look long enough.

if desparate, sign up for westsiderentals.com
act fast. be ready to hand down money right away. it's competitive.

Apr 26, 05 3:17 pm  · 
 · 

While I love Craig's List, I wouldn't advise using it if you don't actually get to see the places in advance. In looking for my current place, my bf and I viewed around 30 different places, and in that found only 3-4 that were actually any good, and two of those someone else got to first! But while there are some really nice places posted on Craig's List, there are a whole lot more that are pieces of shit. Maybe only respond to ones with pictures, or email the owner explaining your situation and ask him to email pics?

For perspective, my bf and I split a $975 rent on a one bedroom, $850sf place in the middle of Culver City. I bet you could find a Hollywood bachelor or 'Jr. 1-bedroom' for $700.

Apr 26, 05 4:06 pm  · 
 · 
James

Many thanks.

Apr 26, 05 4:17 pm  · 
 · 
R.A. Rudolph

I know a couple people in the silverlake/echo park area that have one bedrooms for $800 or so... if you have time to look around once you get here you'll do better. There are other posts that have talked about areas in LA, but it really depends on what you like and what kind of neighborhood you're looking for. For "cool", as in hipster, silverlake/echo park/los feliz is pretty much it. For "cool", as in hollywood(entertainment industry, bars/restaurants), the mid-wilshire area or west hollywood are nice, though pricey.
I personally would never want to live in culver city, or anywhere on the westside (lived in venice for 2-1/2 years when sci-arc was over there) - not much going on and I'm not into the feel of it (flat, more suburban mixed w/upscale), but obviously it depends on the person.
I would agree with everyone else that you want to be maximum 20-30 minutes away in traffic from your job - otherwise you'll hate LA. Can you ask people at your new work if they have any leads? That might be best...

Apr 26, 05 5:28 pm  · 
 · 
sameolddoctor

Hey James

Hit me up - the apartment I live in, on Los Feliz blvd, has a one bedroom for 950$ ...
great location, right on los feliz blvd between int. of griffith park and hillhurst

actually anyone hit me up...my manager would love to get someone asap

Apr 26, 05 6:42 pm  · 
 · 
abracadabra

hit him up james.. nice apts. right there. great location indeed. probably its a true 1 bedroom. large. (relatively speaking)

Apr 26, 05 7:02 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: