Archinect
anchor

Researching Grad Schools - A definitive Archinect Guide?

guiggster

I'm getting a bit frustrated as I try to decide on which schools to apply to. Throughout this forum it has become clear that even the idea of deciding based on ranking is detestable, so what are the best ways to find out if the school is right for you? I figure the easiest source is the internet and the schools' websites. Look at student work, look at course listings, look at faculty (though to be honest here, I have no idea who is who). But even these factors don't seem to really make it easier to decide if the school is a good fit. All statements on the school's philosophy sound exactly like every other school's philosophy statement.

I figure a ranking is a good way to judge, at the very least, competitiveness among schools and decide what MIGHT be your reach schools and what schools at which you might be a competitive applicant. Then do a web search. Then ideally talk to people who have been to the school and have been through the process of applying.

Well I've done two out of the three and I have to say that my choices right now are primarily based on location and (gasp) ranking. U of Oregon looked like a good match with its focuses on greener design and Japanese design. But it got thrashed in another thread (and I can't start a program in the summer).

I know others must be in my situation, and I know that these issues keep getting touched on over and over and people are burnt out from applications themselves. But I also figure that now might be a good time as people have completed the process are going to first choice schools or safety schools. How does one truly find the good fit that so many posters stress in this forum? Could we have definitive (opinion based but useful) guides to commonly mentioned schools? For example: "MIT - Definitive Guide" - "I would say this school has a strong progressive theoretical computer blobby thingy making focus...go here if you like blobs and hate modernism" etc...

Damn this got long. I hope it makes sense...I'm just getting frustrated here.

Please don't slap the bunny-with-a-pancake-on-its-head on me.

Apr 26, 05 8:53 am
kylemiller

You need to know what your specific interests are and then find a school that can best support them. Rankings can help to a certain extent as overall perception of where you get your degree may help you get your first job, but after that it's up to you to perform.

If you don't know what you are interested in and how a certain graduate school can benefit from you attending and not just the other way around... don't go!

I was just out at Oregon for work and stopped into the architecture school. It was one of the most depressing things I've seen... it honestly felt like a jail. Aethetics aside, I have heard a lot of great things about their program and if you are interested in environmental design, etc... that might be a place to consider. The campus is beautiful, but Eugene is lackluster.

Apr 26, 05 9:30 am  · 
 · 
guiggster

I know what my specific interests are. Whether or not I could properly articulate it here is beside the point. My frustration is that I can't find enough info on schools to give me a complete idea if it is the right fit. I like environmental design, but Oregon sounds crap...that's a good start. I looked at Columbia's student work, all blobs...not a good fit?

But is this the best I can do? It doesn't seem enough. I'm still basing on locatin and ranking and I won't be able to articulate to myself or the school why I want to go there.

Apr 26, 05 9:39 am  · 
 · 
kylemiller

Usually schools have student reps. Call the office and ask to be put in contact with a student who you might be able to email or call. Do the same with facutly. To a certain extent school is going to be what you make of it regardless of their ideologies and pedagogy..... but as i said, to a certain extent.

Ask for the school's register booklet with program descriptions and course listings/descriptions.

Apr 26, 05 9:59 am  · 
 · 
camo

43N88W --

are you going to ucla this fall?
i ask because i have a couple friends going as well; theyre psyched.

Apr 26, 05 1:01 pm  · 
 · 

I think 43N88W's plan is a good one. Be sure to ask about whether the school is in the process of making any major changes as well. You don't want to go somewhere only to find out that everything you loved is being scrapped, and you might end up considering some schools that aren't yet highly regarded for the things that interest you, but are making great moves in that direction. These are the sort of things that no brochure or ranking is going to tell you. Do whatever you can to get in contact with students there, through archinect or whatever other resources you can find.

Apr 26, 05 1:48 pm  · 
 · 
chadwick

I completely sympathize with your dilemma and have agonized for a couple years about this problem in my own vacuum. Half the time I was researching a program I left more confused than when I started. I also felt unable to articulate my interests and under-whelmed by the school's statements.

I wish that I had known about this forum when I was researching schools. I have found the student blogs to be particularly interesting. A definitive guide would have been welcome, but I suspect that it would be recieved with as much reservation as rankings.

At one point, however, (at an open house for prospective students) the school I am about to go to (CCA) gave a presentation that just... made sense. It fit so very closely with what I was thinking and why I was even considering the field of Architecture that I became excited and curious. It felt like the connection I had been searching for and led the way to further discussions and investigations into the program. This personal connection was key. for me.

Apr 26, 05 1:59 pm  · 
 · 
deluganmeisslfan

When it comes to the rankings, I would just look at about the top 20 architecture schools and see what fits for you. If the school got a good ranking then it would be a safe bet. Everyone says don't go by ranking but I say they are there for a reason. The important thing is that the school is accredited by the NAAB.

Where do you want to work when you are done? Think about what the school can do for you and the connections they have and if it is where you want to work when you are done.

You mention how everyone is going to really good schools on this board so I would say to you, try the same schools. Don't be intimidated by others because you never know, you could get accepted. Don't worry about going to a trendy school though, just find one that has a strong reputation from students and that you feel comfortable with their work and program.

Talk to as many people as possible and the better schools or ones that appeal to you will sift their way to the top.

Apr 26, 05 4:37 pm  · 
 · 
kylemiller

camo-

yup, headed out to cali in september... cant wait

Apr 26, 05 9:05 pm  · 
 · 
citizen

All of Guiggster's thoughts on this research process are good ones, but this is the best:

"Then ideally talk to people who have been to the school..."

Unfortunately, it may be the most difficult, too, since identifying and getting in touch with current or former students (aside from the administration-approved lackeys) may take some work. Still, those who have already trudged the road we hope to take are the best source of information.

Apr 26, 05 11:00 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: