Archinect
anchor

final $emester project

arri

How much are you spending on final semester project? I'm going to print 48"x96"at $4.00, about $130.00. I have no idea how much I'll be sending on the final model maybe around $30.00. Anyway how about you!

Apr 25, 05 5:42 pm
duke19_98

I don't think I've ever spent less than a 100 bucks on a final model. Most of my models are built using "museum board." However, we print in house here at school. A 36x96 would run you about 8 bucks on bond and 40 bucks on glossy. We can print 48" wide as well, but they usually only stock the 36" paper. Thinking back on all 5 undergrad and 4 grad studios...I've spent 2k+ on studio materials alone. That's ridiculous. Good luck, thank God for student loans.

Apr 25, 05 6:45 pm  · 
 · 
arri

Wow, $40.00 for a 36x96 thats a good, we are being charged $4.00 per square foot so a 36x96 would be 24 sq. ft for a total of $96.00!

Apr 25, 05 7:08 pm  · 
 · 

6'x10'x$3= $180. Then this perf metal that I wanted to use turned out to be $10/sq.ft., and I needed like, 10 square feet of that. I may have to reconsider this stuff, try to consolidate somehow...

Apr 25, 05 7:39 pm  · 
 · 
Ms Beary

most i ever spent on a model was $800. group project though, so $200 a piece. full scale installation.

Apr 25, 05 7:48 pm  · 
 · 
eeayeeayo

Printing and plotting have gone down in price so much from 15 years ago or so. At that time (when I was an undergrad) few people were presenting computer work yet, so on the one hand printing or plotting at all were somewhat optional, and even controversial. On the other hand, printing an 8 1/2" x 11" color image cost about $11 per page, and had to be sent across campus to only one lab in the whole university that had color printers (and the idea that everybody would soon be able to have at least a small color printer of their own, with their own computer capable of running CAD, 3D, photo-editing and layout software was beyond comprehension.) A 24" x 36" color plot cost $87.00. Since everything was sent across campus you wouldn't know how it came out until you hiked over there to wait for it to come up in the queue, collect and pay for it, and you usually wouldn't have time for a second attempt at it if it was less than perfect.
Even when everything came out beautifully you knew that you were sacrificing yourself/your work to a crit in which all discussion would revolve around the pros and cons of computers in design programs...

Apr 25, 05 8:12 pm  · 
 · 
NSJ

Model cost about 40 bucks.

Plotting is free (well, I consider it included in tuition) and about 40 feet down the hall. I have 11 36x48 mostly color boards.

Apr 26, 05 4:34 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: