Archinect
anchor

Phone Interview

grain

I have a phone interview coming up w/ the office of a more notable architect this week. Now, I know this might be impossile to answer, but what can one expect from a phone interview for an entry level position?

The position is junior architect.

thanks

Apr 25, 05 12:24 am
Aluminate

You'll probably be asked about your previous experience, to name your strengths and skills, to describe your weaknesses, etc. A phone interview is often a preliminary screening to assess whether you're articulate, enthusiastic, knowledgeable, that you listen well, are thoughtful and can think on your feet...
You'll probably be asked about work you've done, so think about this ahead of time. Have you sent them any images? If so they may ask about those in particular.
A phone interview is sometimes tougher than an interview in person, because you can't judge the other person's reactions as well, don't know if they're expecting more from you or wish you'd stop talking!
Make sure to have lots of questions ready for them.

Apr 25, 05 12:43 pm  · 
 · 
grain

Thanks for your help Aluminate!

Apr 25, 05 6:08 pm  · 
 · 
b3tadine[sutures]

although i can say that its easier to ask tougher questions. asking about pay, benefits, role, advancement are easier to hit up all at once because of the nature of the interview...

Apr 25, 05 9:52 pm  · 
 · 
vado retro

make sure u dont put em on hold to take that other call

Apr 25, 05 10:07 pm  · 
 · 
liberty bell

Here's a dorky piece of advice that I totally believe works: When you talk on the phone to them, smile! Just the physical act of smiling tends to change the timbre of your voice and make you sound more engaed/engaging.

Also, can you answer "Where do you see yourself in 5/10 years?" and "What on-the-job mistake have you made prevously and how did you rectify it?".

Have copies of the images you sent them sitting nearby, so you can refer to them to refresh your memory on the spot. And keep a glass of water nearby - but hold the phone away from your chin when you swallow.

Good luck!

Apr 25, 05 10:25 pm  · 
 · 
grain

Good stuf, keep it coming.

Apr 25, 05 10:32 pm  · 
 · 
abracadabra

beep beep..
- yello..
- this is S.O.M.E. architects calling for a job interview..is this...
- yow. thats me.. hold on, let me turn of the TV..
- i am putting mr S. on, he'll be interviewing you..

- hello wcorco1. how do you pronounce that?
- just like you read..
- ehemm. ok. can i call you borco? i am familiar with that..
- yessirie..
- i am sorry too..
- hehehe.
- ......, lets start with this, how did you hear about us?
- long story, but i recently saw your name mentioned in Archinect International dot come..
- o-o you read archinect.., ahhimmmn..
- ja man yu'r busted..hehheh.
- ..? who's your daddy?
- i call zaha 'dad' she don't mind..
- i tell you what, looking to your 'my space blog' you might be the right person for the job. we are looking for a monkey who can jump to different trees on a short signal.. BTW, i liiike your friends..
- so can i call you bossman..?
- you bet.. this interview is over you are in for SOME..
- later dude..see ya this afternoon.

ps; i think the phone interview for a architecture job is really bogus idea..be really carefull..good luck finding a job.

Apr 26, 05 2:50 pm  · 
 · 
Archi-F

not neccessarily bogus - just pre-screening. If the office is big enough, they tend to do that.

Apr 26, 05 2:57 pm  · 
 · 
A Center for Ants?

reasearch the firm and go to their website. be familiar with a few projects that you like and be able to say even just a (intelligent) sentence or two about them. shows you're not just blanketing the town with portfolios.

Apr 26, 05 3:19 pm  · 
 · 
A Center for Ants?

agree with archi-f,

our office talks to people on the phone before inviting them for a tete-a-tete. gotta make sure you're not crazy

Apr 26, 05 3:19 pm  · 
 · 

Maybe actually have their website loaded onto a web browser as you're talking to them, if that's possible. Obviously, be somewhere where you can avoid noise pollution- tell your roomates to keep it down, close the windows, etc.

I actually think that phone interviews are a great idea for people who are relocating- saves a trip out there if it's going to turn out to have been a waste of time.

Apr 26, 05 4:11 pm  · 
 · 
abracadabra

i looked more into it and read some material as well as posts above, on the subject. my views are more balanced now.
however, i maintain that it is wide open for discrimination in the wrong hands.
not having the right voice pitch or ethnicity could cost a person a well qualified job. it disadvanteges some for the wrong reasons.
everything about the potential employee should not be all that proper and well etiquetted. otherwise everthing would be monotonous.

i had a japanese school friend who was a senior designer for morphosis for many years, i know with his english he wouldn't be lasting a new york second on the phone..
go figure.. there are cv's and examples of work for screening as well.
i guess, to add on the advices given, i would suggest you be relaxed and true to who you are if you must take a phone interview, that is true for any type of interview and the most useful one from my experiences being there on both sides of the situation.

Apr 26, 05 5:25 pm  · 
 · 
A Center for Ants?

i'm going to have to disagree with abra-

i don't dispute that discrimination either conscious or not occurs in employment, but a phone interview is ripe for the same kinds of discrimination as a straight face to face interview.

you could dress in a way that bothers the interviewer, breath might be a bit funky. who knows. it's been shown that attractive tall people are at an advantage in such situations. in that sense, the phone interview eliminates those kinds of triggers.

but i digress....

just don't worry about those things. be an intelligent, polite, and informed interviewee that's not afraid to ask questions. as much as you're being tested, you should see if they're a good fit for you as well.

Apr 26, 05 5:34 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: