Archinect
anchor

Site Model Contours

Does anyone have any suggestions on materials for contours in a physical model? I plan on using wood for the pieces, so i was thinking about using cardboard (but don't like the rigid edge look), maybe chipboard (but it has too dark of an appeal). Is there anything else? Thanks for your help

Apr 23, 05 2:31 pm
JA|||ES

oh and bonus points if anyone knows where i can pick it up (NYC) or order it. Thanks "nectors"

Apr 23, 05 2:33 pm  · 
 · 
b3tadine[sutures]

homasote

Apr 23, 05 3:16 pm  · 
 · 
FRO

I'm using 1/8" masonite for contours in a site model

Apr 23, 05 3:25 pm  · 
 · 
Ms Beary

I wove yarn for a site plan once. Time consuming but cool. Not good for perfectly sculpted topography, more general.

Apr 23, 05 3:59 pm  · 
 · 
Ms Beary

site MODEL. not plan, sorry.

Apr 23, 05 4:00 pm  · 
 · 
cSquared

Some alternatives :

Museum Board- thin, medium-easy to cut, clean-polished look.

Wood/Masonite- need a bandsaw/jigsaw, looks great.

Cork- comes in rolled up sheets at an art supply store or train model shop. easy to cut, and looks good. I think it also comes with adhesive on one side too.

Apr 23, 05 11:41 pm  · 
 · 
vado retro

i make all mine out of ivory

Apr 23, 05 11:42 pm  · 
 · 
juan moment

gatorboard

Apr 24, 05 12:13 am  · 
 · 
LBG

make the overall shape, then take thin plexi and use a hot air gun to mold it to the shape try Pearl down on Canal st...

Apr 24, 05 1:43 am  · 
 · 
Sylvester

Use masonite - but separate the different layers by using pieces of cardboard. This gives a nice shadow effect to the landscape and thereby enhances the contours

Apr 24, 05 6:16 am  · 
 · 
David Cuthbert

3/16 plywood - really good if you get the one with the grained birch

paper...fairly thick layered sheet by sheet - that took the longest

Apr 24, 05 11:14 am  · 
 · 
trace™

you can always stucco over the card board/chip board if you want a smooth look (sanding optional). You can make it any color you want, too.

Depends on the model materials, really. Chip board looks great with bass wood. Musuem board looks great with museum board for the model. Basswood can look good, but I personally like some contrast with the model.
Foam core is quick, but the gloss looks bad, imo.

Apr 25, 05 12:03 am  · 
 · 
domestic

Milboard!!

Very workable; all you need is a mtl ruler and x-acto knife, comes in large 32 x 40" boards in various thicknesses (.4,.6,.8), good for 1:100.

In fact build your whole model out this as your building articulates its form most clearly in monochrome.

Apr 25, 05 2:07 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: