Archinect
anchor

PC platform on a MAC?

ice9

has anyone had any experience using a PC platform on a MAC? i currently use both PC's and MACs and would like to ditch the PC if at all possible. i've heard that autocad runs well on some OS X PC platforms, but i'm wondering about more complex modeling software (maya, etc.)

Apr 22, 05 11:44 am

there are multiple existing threads on this topic, do a quick search and you'll be golden...

but from my experience:

1. autocad in Virtual PC is alright for 2D work only, nothing else - not worth the hassle, get another program for your 2D needs.

2. maya runs beautifully in OSX, as does FormZ and Cinema4D.

3. Rhino really lags in Virtual PC.

Apr 22, 05 11:49 am  · 
 · 
Luis Fraguada

Yes, virtual PC emulates a PC, and is limited. Meaning that if your Mac has a 1.5 or 2GHz processor, the virtual PC still runs at 700MHz or something, can't quite remember.

If you have a lot of RAM (1GB+) then you should be able to do 2D CAD, but it will not be so fast.

There are other alternatives to autoCad including ArchiCAD and VectorWorks . . . probably others. Neither are AutoCAD, but if you want to ditch the PC, then you might want to look at learning a new program. I believe ArchiCAD 9 works with dwg/dxf files . . . need to double check that.

Also, another one you will not be able to run is Discreet's (division of AutoDesk) 3D Studio Max. That is PC only as well.

But with maya and formZ, along with some 2D drafting program (I do not recommend using formZ for drafting . . . has a drafting mode, but I don't like it too much) you should have everything you need. Get the Adobe CS and maybe some macromedia apps if you are into them.

I used PC all thoughout my undergrad, and recently got a PowerBook. While I miss the power of te PC I built, the PowerBook is portable, and pretty powerful if you max out the RAM. Also can get expensive.

I would not depend on Virtual PC for much of anything if I were you, although, if you run Windows 2000 it runs a bit better (w2k less RAM intensive).

Apr 22, 05 12:13 pm  · 
 · 
evilplatypus

What are the specific reasons you want a mac?

Apr 22, 05 12:49 pm  · 
 · 
ice9

specifically, i use vectorworks on a mac and have several on-going projects that i would prefer to keep in that format...but it is nice to see consultant's work in its native enviroments, which is why i currently use a pc as well. also, i recently began running open source unix-based gis applications on my mac, and i would prefer not to sell my soul to the man and go with ESRI.

then there is the os stability, lack of malignant viruses, and, of course, that good feeling you get when you have made an investment in something that is well designed. i mean, isn't that what we're asking our clients to do?

thanks for the help, everyone.

Apr 22, 05 1:11 pm  · 
 · 
evilplatypus

Having worked on the mac I can attest that OS is not any more stable than a pc. In fact my mac crashed more than my pc. As for viruses its really simple - more people use pc's thus the virus writers tailor them for them.

How is vectorworks? Ive never used it but am curious. Do they make it for pc as well?

Apr 22, 05 1:17 pm  · 
 · 
FRO

They do make Vectorworks for Windows, I think it's pretty much identical. I use VW 11 at home on a Mac, and AutoCad2000 on Windows at work. Personally, I like VectorWorks better. It has a class and layer setup that works well for me, along with hybrid 2D/3D objects, the list goes on.

The worst for me is accidentally trying to type ACad commands in VW, so I work right handed trackball at work and left handed (same model) trackball at home. Seems to keep my brain straight.

Apr 23, 05 11:09 pm  · 
 · 
inkwray

I use Maya on my Mac, the files are easily transferrable from PC to Mac, never had a problem.
For Vectorworks, Form Z other modeling programs, I save my files to iges unless the geometry is incapable\loses its integrity while transferring. Have not had many problems working on both platforms.
I wouldn't recommend using a program like Virtual Pc, nor would I use just one platform, mac and PC both have their benefits.

Apr 23, 05 11:59 pm  · 
 · 
NSJ

I have a 1.25GHZ PB with 1 G of RAM. I run AutoCad in VPC W2K. Runs fine for 2D drafting only.

Once in a while i also use Rhino to do section cuts on imported Maya models but that runs very slow.

Wouldn't recommend it for anything else.

Apr 24, 05 10:36 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: