Archinect
anchor

Fiberglass to make a model?

word!

Has anyone ever used fiberglass to make a model?
For our final project we have to make a 1/4 inch model and I've come to the conclusion that there's noway i can build my curvaceous building out of basswood. So the goal is to make wood mold on the 5 axis mill and use fiber glass to make a 2 piece shell.... does this sound feasible? or are there any better alternatives?

thanks

Apr 21, 05 5:02 pm
anotherquestion

fabric with plaster, draped on a mold (a bit heavier)

some kind of plastic over 1-sided mold, apply heat gun, beware toxic fumes. spray paint for uniform color.

Apr 21, 05 6:10 pm  · 
 · 
Carl Douglas (agfa8x)

fibrelass: its all about the mold. the better the mold, the better the result. the resin smells, and it's going to take a fair few practice runs to get used to it, but it can look really cool.

Apr 21, 05 6:28 pm  · 
 · 
siggers

Isn't it possibly dangerous to handle? I'm sure you should wear a mask anyway if you cut or melt it.

Apr 21, 05 7:01 pm  · 
 · 
Archi-F

It'll probably take yo ua few practice run - as stated - so just make sure you leave yourself enough time to try it out.

Apr 21, 05 8:40 pm  · 
 · 
zepplin100

I'm actually about to embark on a similar quest ... resin is a bit foreign to me so can anyone point me to a good internet reference to working with it? I'm sure i'll do my share of google-ing for info, but perhaps someone can save me some time.

Apr 22, 05 2:01 pm  · 
 · 
ether

there is a recent post on resin here.

Apr 22, 05 2:05 pm  · 
 · 
A Center for Ants?

um... if you're using poly resin (as i mentioned in the other post) don't use the heat gun to cure it. it might catch fire. the stuff is volatile and the fumes are frickin' toxic as hell. i use the stuff for surfboards and even on small repairs using a few ounces of the resin, it can make me light headed.

def. use a mask as suggested by signum and make sure it's rated for organic fumes (good for mexican food nights in the studio too).

but practice with it to get a hang of it. do a few tests. it's really fun i think.

Apr 22, 05 2:30 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: