Archinect
anchor

Building with a twist

Sylvester

Anyone that knows some good examples of twisting buildings?

Here is the only one i know (Calatrava) http://www.turningtorso.com/

Apr 20, 05 6:53 pm
duke19_98

Calatrava is working on one right now

Apr 20, 05 9:50 pm  · 
 · 
b3tadine[sutures]

i thought Freedom Tower twisted?

Apr 20, 05 9:58 pm  · 
 · 
bothands

Check out Preston Scott Cohen's Tel Aviv museum competition winner. Also RoTo is building one in LaJolla at UC San Diego. There's also a whole book on the subject entitled "Twist & Build"...

Apr 21, 05 12:17 am  · 
 · 
pazdon

there's a building in germany called---can't remember the name---that features a huge solar panel on its roof. the whole house twists to track the path of the sun throughout the day and maximize solar exposure to the panel. the plumbing is all flexible piping so the toilet doesnt break everytime the sun sets.

Apr 21, 05 1:08 am  · 
 · 
bothands

isn't that solar example more of a rotating than twisting?

Apr 21, 05 1:37 am  · 
 · 
ScottMSchultz

that rotating house seems unreasonably impractical... COuldnt they just have the panel turn????

Apr 21, 05 1:43 am  · 
 · 
Sylvester

Thanks!

Here's some pics of the Preston Scott Cohen's Tel Aviv museum: http://skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?p=3314370#post3314370

Apr 21, 05 5:11 am  · 
 · 
rutger

H&deM's de Young museum in San Francisco.

see the image gallery for more, or check El Croquis 109/110

Apr 21, 05 5:34 am  · 
 · 
rayray

still jaded about the winner to the U2 tower competition in dublin,
but it does twist. Not sure if it's good though - but surely something
to learn from it.

http://www.craighenry.com/u2.htm

Apr 21, 05 9:49 am  · 
 · 
pazdon

the whole house turns/twists so that the living spaces are always subject to passive solar heat gain. the house is net zero energy throughout the year so it must be practical somehow. i suppose the building turns rather than twists....but the plumbing definitely twists around itself. how can we say that the building above "twists"? it is implied by the form but it doesnt move.

Apr 21, 05 10:12 am  · 
 · 
larslarson

twisting does not necessarily imply movement.

Apr 21, 05 10:50 am  · 
 · 
pazdon

no, it doesnt. thats my point: twist has a lot of meanings. among them:

5. transitive and intransitive verb - rotate something: to rotate, or turn something so that it rotates
"The lid just twists and comes off."

Apr 21, 05 12:23 pm  · 
 · 
larslarson

i've missed your point...

your question was:

" how can we say that the building above "twists"? it is implied by the form but it doesnt move"

we can say it 'twists' even though it doesn't move...the facade
'twists' around a central core.

Apr 21, 05 12:58 pm  · 
 · 
pazdon

my point was in response to the post above:

"isn't that solar example more of a rotating than twisting?"

i say, no, bc twist has a lot of meanings. among them:

5. transitive and intransitive verb - rotate something: to ROTATE, or turn something so that it ROTATES

I

Apr 21, 05 1:21 pm  · 
 · 
pazdon

my point was in response to the post above:

"isn't that solar example more of a rotating than twisting?"

i say, no, bc twist has a lot of meanings. among them:

5. transitive and intransitive verb - rotate something: to ROTATE, or turn something so that it ROTATES

I

Apr 21, 05 1:21 pm  · 
 · 
pazdon

continued: I think it's interesting that it seems one is more inclined to accept a building as twisting if the essence of the twisitng action is recorded in static vs real time physically turning.

Apr 21, 05 1:26 pm  · 
 · 
pazdon

continued: I think it's interesting that it seems one is more inclined to accept a building as twisting if the essence of the twisitng action is recorded in static vs real time physically turning.

Apr 21, 05 1:27 pm  · 
 · 
larslarson

pazdon...sorry now i got it...i for one think both are valid
although the form of the static building is probably more
interesting than that of a building that simply rotates..
or twists...

Apr 21, 05 4:42 pm  · 
 · 
instrumentOFaction

Both sides of the discussion, in perception and in purpose. http://www.archinect.com/gallery/displayimage.php?album=3&pos=51
http://www.archinect.com/gallery/displayimage.php?album=3&pos=161

I would really like to visit the DeYoung...that building really grabs me, visually.

Since it seems that this discussion has, in places, been about semantics and therefore perception, an interesting exercise for me was to just look up and follow the 'information tree' on m-w.com for each of these words and interpretations, hoping each one would lead me toward a piece of Architecture. It certainly reminded me how many times, throughout history, Architects have wanted our buildings to move themselves as well as move us, physically, figurtively, etc.

Apr 21, 05 4:58 pm  · 
 · 
e

i agree lars. while this one rotates, only the structure is interesting and not the aspect of rotation >>

Apr 21, 05 5:02 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: