Archinect
anchor

Looking for work in Australia

Jo

I am an architect (B.Arch) with four years of work experience and would like to work in Australia. I think there is some very interesting work happening there on a small as well as a large scale and would like to be a part of it. I would like to know which is the best city for us architects to work and live in and tips on how to job-hunt in Australia. Are there any websites that will help me out in this regard? Thanks.

Apr 20, 05 1:38 am
imagebytekid

Try Melbourne...great food, good people and some great architecture.
However you may find us rather provincial...but hey it's nice to know
people.
Interesting team designed this:
www.federationsquare.com.au/
http://www.federationsquare.com.au/index.cfm?pageID=56

for jobs:
www.seek.com.au
http://www.mycareer.com.au/
http://www.careerone.com.au/

you'll find agencies linked from jobs...although they prefer you to be in the country to get a foot in.

ibk

Apr 20, 05 3:09 am  · 
 · 
dia

Melbourne is hands down the best city to work and live in. Check out the RAIA for general info, but the website also has an attached jobs section. There is also information by state, as well as a comprehensive awards section where you can start to track down practices you might be interested in working for. it is worth spending some time on the site researching.

The architecture scene is strong, vibrant and varied, with 2 strong schools located in the CBD fringe, and most quality firms there also.

I studied and lived in Melbourne for 4 years and now live elsewhere. It is a constant temptation to me... I guess I am biased, but I think any objective person would agree with me.

Other cities to work in are Sydney [of course], Brisbane, Adelaide, Perth etc.

Apr 20, 05 3:11 am  · 
 · 
antipod

I'd have to pop in a vote for Melbourne as Australian city of choice as well. It's just a fantastic city to be in.

I do like Perth too but it is very isolated. Beautiful bit of country though if you like wine and surf.

Apr 20, 05 4:00 am  · 
 · 
Jo

Thanks guys for your help, melbourne is my city of choice as well, can anyone shed some light on the cost of living and the salary i can expect? Also which architectural practices would you say are the best right now (in melbourne or elsewhere in australia)?

Apr 20, 05 6:20 am  · 
 · 
dlb

Lab architecture studio
Wood Marsh
DCM
Minifie Nixon
(all in melbourne)

nice apartment - aud$800/month

salary for recent graduate with some office experience: aud$ 30,000/yr

Apr 21, 05 12:04 pm  · 
 · 
Ceee

i'm an american who is living and working in sydney. my experience is in small practices. i like it here and i wouldn't give up my community of colleagues. my suggestion is maybe to start with <www.butterpaper.com> and also the <www.raia.com.au>. regarding the contrast between sydney and melbourne. well their personalities and climates are different. i've heard that sydney:melbourne as los angeles:san francisco. you should be happy where you live. if you want to do beach things and have more warm days out of the year, then go to sydney. as an update: dcm is a closed shop. arm is good. but then you can find firms like six degrees in melbourne. are you looking for big firm or small firm experience? i'll try to check back to see if you have any specific questions. cheers.

May 25, 05 6:41 am  · 
 · 
icedragon

i'd like to work in australia or nz for that matter, but i don't have a arch degree. I work for the government, any oppertunities for me??

Jun 22, 05 5:52 pm  · 
 · 
icedragon

i'd pick berries to live in asutralia or new zealand

Jun 22, 05 5:52 pm  · 
 · 
dia
Pick this Icy.
Jun 22, 05 5:57 pm  · 
 · 
bUbBLe

___ AUD $ equal to ___US $?! how's the architecture market in AUZ or NZ?! inexpensive to live there?!

Jun 23, 05 1:19 am  · 
 · 
icedragon

he he he he diabase

Jun 23, 05 4:47 pm  · 
 · 
Jo

BettyBly,
Thanks for your response, I have worked with a small firm myself for four years and enjoyed the experience and I would like to work for a small firm in australia too if possible. But I am open to other options as well. As far as city of choice is concerned, Melbourne and Sydney are the top choices right now but am not closed to the idea of working elsewhere in the country if the work I would be doing is worthwhile. I think i will email you about this.

Jun 24, 05 3:23 am  · 
 · 
Carl Douglas (agfa8x)

$NZ currently over .70 $US
$AU currently over .77 $US

coming from a big city in the US, NZ's cheap.
AU?

Jun 24, 05 4:05 am  · 
 · 
belle

just wanted to add my vote for melbourne as well - i worked there for 6 months a few years ago and totally loved it - there are so many small and interesting firms there and the sustainable issue gets a lot of attention which is great.

the city is so interesting and in my opinion a much better option than sydney, which i found a bit shiny, if you know what i mean.

if i get the opportunity i will go back over there, for longer next time! good luck.

(i worked for h2o architects - they are lovely! you should check them out!)

Jun 29, 05 6:13 am  · 
 · 

What might be the chance for a B.ARCH grad who just wants to work (say in Melbourne) for a few months but without the work visa and all that, just get paid under the table??

I'm really interested in the architecture scene there, but I wouldn't want to commit to a year of work, or have an office go through the hassle of sponsoring me when I might go nomadic on them in three months. Are the Aussies really strict on work visas?

Jul 4, 05 6:12 pm  · 
 · 
belle

if you have a working holiday visa it means you can travel there for a year and work in one place for a maximum of three months without any trouble - at least that was the case when i went

Jul 7, 05 4:19 am  · 
 · 

well the working holiday visa is exactly what I need, but dammit I'm American. You can work if you're Maltese, Estonian, or even from Cyprus, but not if you're American...

Other options?

Jul 8, 05 4:40 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: