Archinect
anchor

patrons / inheritances / trust funds

eddieP

does anybody have any insider information about specific firms around the country that are specifically funded by a means other than the design work that they do?

patrons / inheritances / trust funds

the underlying question is this:
can designers actually expect to do really good thoughtful work and make money at it?

Apr 19, 05 6:18 pm
g-love

yes, you can do thoughtful work and make money at it.

exhibit one: see foga - www.foga.com

Apr 19, 05 6:26 pm  · 
 · 
ferplexion

a few famous architects have been independently wealthy, if that's what you mean. No doubt this allowed them to build experimental projects, wheres others might envision similar projects but never build them. In particular, Philip Johnson comes to mind.

other architects have had the good fortune to find one patron willing to fund multiple experimental projects. Eric Owen Moss worked with developer Frederick Smith for years, designing all those buildings in Culver City.

Apr 19, 05 6:55 pm  · 
 · 
whistler

I always heard that the Patkaus' had family money to help out in the early years.

Apr 20, 05 7:18 pm  · 
 · 
Sean Taylor

Todd Williams comes from Sherwin Williams money.

Otherwise, yes. There is a long history of "famous" architects that either come from money or marry into it.

Apr 20, 05 7:21 pm  · 
 · 
trace™

Yup, Meier had money, I believe. Mayne built a house every 3-4 years for the early years of Morphosis, so some how he/they were living. I believe Hadid has money beyond her work.
Most likely, any of the stars had somekind of 'lucky break' to keep their ideals in place and allow them to pursue only what they wanted.
Not sure how much cash Moss has, but he sure lucked out with the clients!

It is a shame that it's so common. Basically, it shows us that rarely can someone get to the top without huge personal resources. It also doesn't hurt if your family is rich, so most likely their friends are too. I believe Meier's Smith House (that I just love, in New Canaan CT - one of the most expensive areas in the country) was a family friend.

I just get that occasional Power Ball ticket ;-)

Apr 20, 05 10:39 pm  · 
 · 
Janosh

Don't forget that PJ inherited Alcoa.

Apr 20, 05 10:47 pm  · 
 · 
abracadabra

The National Trust opened Homewood in Esher, Surrey on Friday. Built in 1938 for the parents of Patrick Gwynne as his first commission, it was recently renovated under his careful direction. He died last year and his ashes were scattered in the garden shortly before the public opening.

Apr 22, 05 5:56 pm  · 
 · 
miss representation

Though this is depressingly typical, it's not unlike any other 'creative' profession (Rick Moody, for instance, comes from a wealthy family), and there are also notable exceptions. Sam Mockbee came to lecture when I was a student, and I apologized for the modest transportation picking him up at the airport (my Sentra), and he said it was a bigger car than he had -- and he was not a small man (and this was after Mockbee/Coker had several good publishing credits). At dinner, he spoke of times when he lived in his office because he couldn't afford to rent an apartment. It is no doubt a challenge when you see those of greater means not make a effort (what a waste), but it's sometimes worse when they excel. And there is most certainly (if you are an American) someone, if not many, doing more with far less. If you don't have it now, you likely won't get it, so move along and make the most of the fortune you are graced with. Otherwise, you'll be bitter, which will be stultifying. Then you will be old, bitter, and have nothing to show for it.

Apr 27, 05 12:18 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: