Archinect
anchor

The Bells are Ringing...

Well, the bells are ringing, the smoke is white.

Apr 19, 05 12:15 pm
Luis Fraguada

new pope?

Apr 19, 05 12:15 pm  · 
 · 
stephanie

that was fast.

Apr 19, 05 12:22 pm  · 
 · 
gillespie

HABEMAS PAPAM ... finally found a use for those four years of high school latin

Apr 19, 05 12:33 pm  · 
 · 
seim

Though there is definitely room for experimentation at IIT -- This is what SCI-Arch is known for. But I do see your dilemma as one of the reasons I choose chicago over LA was b/c I was really drawn to the city--and actually really fell in love with the city. When I visited SCI-Arch--though I was impressed with the school---LA was a bit of a let down--not as urban as I personally need.

Having said that, I don’t know if this will help but…….I believe that you can make a program what you want of it--only if you are a strong independent student that knows what they want. I think that if you are a weaker student (or just unsure where your interests lie) with no direction you can go through IIT and get a purely practical education—but I also think you’d be missing the point of the school (many do though). If you are stronger, and have an interest in experimentation—it’s definitely encouraged, and there are many resources for this.

If you’re just unsure where your interests lie—SCI-Arch is probably a better place, the experimentation would be less focused and would probably help you in deciding what it is about architecture that you really love…or hate.

Apr 19, 05 12:37 pm  · 
 · 
seim

oops--wrong post

Apr 19, 05 12:38 pm  · 
 · 
jitter12

Joseph Ratzinger is now...Benedict XVI

Apr 19, 05 12:47 pm  · 
 · 
jitter12

I wonder how he likes his eggs.

Apr 19, 05 12:47 pm  · 
 · 
stephanie

"THE ENFORCER"

Apr 19, 05 12:58 pm  · 
 · 
Marc Pittsley

So disappointing.

Apr 19, 05 12:59 pm  · 
 · 
stephanie

meh, what else would you really expect?

Apr 19, 05 1:00 pm  · 
 · 

IL PAPA über alles!

Apr 19, 05 1:19 pm  · 
 · 
barbaric

his name is cool, it rhymes with MAZINGER!

Apr 19, 05 1:26 pm  · 
 · 
WonderK

You know, I was already a recovering catholic, and this doesn't really do anything to change my mind.

It really is a slap in the face of anyone who thinks the church should progress into the 21st century. And what's the deal anyway? Only a day to decide? What a cop-out. That's just pure laziness.

Many think this guy has been running the church for years anyway, ever since John Paul became ill. At 78, I can't imagine that he would last that long....

Apr 19, 05 1:28 pm  · 
 · 
Luis Fraguada

yeah, there were many more exciting candidates than that, but I guess what can you expect from an ancient institution?

I remember as a little kid my grandparents would show the video of when the Pope came to Puerto Rico . . . people went NUTS!

I wonder if this pope will have the same effect on the youth as Pope John Paul II. It is weird, while I am not very "religious," I have this respect for the late Pope John Paul II. Not all Popes, because we all remember indulgances. But for this Pope especially, something made me respect him, even though I thoghroughly disagreed with him.

Apr 19, 05 1:28 pm  · 
 · 
form64

WHO CARES???

do the catholics still think we need a priest as a middle man to talk to our Higher Power?

the catholic church heirarchy is nothing but an archiac good old boys club.

Apr 19, 05 1:32 pm  · 
 · 
sweet em

With nearly every other societal institution being persuaded by the "trendy" opinions of the day traditional institutions including the catholic church are balancing forces. Granted - they might not be right but that applies equally to the most popular current opinions. This spectrum is valueable for the discussion it allows.

Although I am not Catholic I have watched this because the Pope is a leader of people across national boundries and so has a different influence than local or national politicians. And although some may believe that religion is the cause of great injustices it is also the cause of much good in the world and for both reasons shouldn't be ignored.

Apr 19, 05 1:52 pm  · 
 · 
toasteroven

I heard he was a nazi... claims he was enrolled in the nazi youth against his will...

Apr 19, 05 4:06 pm  · 
 · 
stephanie

i think your options at that time and place were enroll or die.

he left the party in 1945, which would have made him 18.

Apr 19, 05 4:11 pm  · 
 · 
WonderK

He deserted the German army (which he was forced into) in April 1945, which could have gotten him shot....when he returned home he was arrested by the Americans and put in a POW camp. After his release he went back to the seminary. Silly one-track-mind priests...

Apr 19, 05 4:16 pm  · 
 · 
barbaric

I think it came down to him and Martini (ex-milan archbishop). There was no other strong figure. Ratzinger would guarantee the continuation of Pope John Paul II doctrine, while Martini was calling for more 'openness'. They were both 78 so I guess it made more sense to go with continuation rather than a new direction........

Apr 19, 05 4:24 pm  · 
 · 
Manteno_Montenegro

Why couldn't he have chosen a cooler name, like lovable Seinfeld charector Kenny Banya?

Apr 19, 05 4:51 pm  · 
 · 
e

or sixith the sixth. there will never be another sixith.

Apr 19, 05 5:21 pm  · 
 · 
Luis Fraguada

Possible cooler Pope names:

Leo
Urban
Honorius
Lando
Formosus
Valentine
Sisinnius
Conon
Hilarius

for more names:
www.newadvent.org/cathen/12272b.htm

Apr 19, 05 6:14 pm  · 
 · 

I just heard on Action News that Pope Benedict XVI wished Cardinal Regali of Philadelphia "Happy Birthday!"

Apr 19, 05 6:19 pm  · 
 · 
antipod

The papers in London are calling him 'Gods Rottweiller'. Classic. How long do they really expect this guy to last? 10 years if they're lucky?

Apr 20, 05 4:06 am  · 
 · 
lizok

there was a choice between this guy, and a guy named Martini, and they chose THIS NAZI GUY??!!!

Apr 20, 05 4:16 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: