Archinect
anchor

Adobe buys Macromedia

I heard this today, and I am sure most have heard by now. What do people think? It was definately out of left field, or some other field . . . I just did not expect this.

I have mixed feelings about this, but think in the long run it might be better. I do not like the fact that one company will monopolize the creative software market. But on the other hand, it might be better for creative professionals' work flow.

I hope Adobe drops Go Live and uses Dreamweaver. I see photoshop, illustrator, and In Design staying the same, but maybe with some flash support? Acrobat will probably incorporate a flash plug in or something so that PDFs will have flash embedded into them. Also, maybe there is a hope for a nice combined version of Fireworks and Image Ready . . .

what do people think about Adobe buying Macromedia?

Apr 18, 05 6:38 pm
guiggster

Well, every time I want to run Dreamweaver I find myself looking through my Adobe folder wondering where it is. Then I remember that it's not an Adobe product. So, I welcome the thought, if only to save me valuable seconds. Honestly though, I know nothing about software makers but I do use Dreamweaver, Photoshop, InDesign, etc... quite a bit. I have found that Dreamweaver tends to be a bit buggy which gets frustrating after a while. The Adobe products are some of the most solidly built/designed softwares that I use. As Martha Stewart might say: it's a good thing.

Apr 18, 05 6:58 pm  · 
 · 
kissy_face

I dont' care about Macromedia...but if autodesk gets their hand on sketchup I will have a heart attack. I can't even imagine all the ways that they could screw up that program...

Apr 18, 05 10:13 pm  · 
 · 
raji

i think THAT would really be the end of the profession.

Apr 18, 05 10:21 pm  · 
 · 
alphanumericcha

lol kissy... don't give them any ideas.

Apr 18, 05 10:31 pm  · 
 · 
alphanumericcha

funny_

as if AutoCAD was scouring kissy's archinect posts.

Apr 18, 05 10:32 pm  · 
 · 
alphanumericcha

for
investmen t id ea s

Apr 18, 05 10:32 pm  · 
 · 

I think Adobe should merge with itself and release Illishop.

Apr 19, 05 1:22 am  · 
 · 

... and Photostrator!

Apr 19, 05 1:23 am  · 
 · 
barbaric

wow, I thought this was a joke first! 3.4 billion? hmmmmmm.......the good news is that programs like illustrator and fireworks can merge so we can focus on one..........the bad news? I wonder how much a CREATIVE STUDIO package would cost! Ohhh, and seeing how adobe 'updates' programs every single year, we can expect to hit CREATIVE STUDIO 5 by 2010.............

by then autodesk will have bought maya and rhino.......

Apr 19, 05 3:52 am  · 
 · 
crillywazzy

i'll miss freehand. sigh... we've been together since version 2.02...

Apr 19, 05 4:53 am  · 
 · 
trace™

I didn't believe it when I heard it. They are/were both strong companies and dominated each market.
Funny they didn't think about this way back when they sued each other over those menus! Can't remember who was on which side.

I guess it'll be good long term, they do kinda match up well. Go Live was doomed from teh beginning and Freehand has never been close to taking a large part of the market from Illustrator. If they combine the strengths, it will be good for all.

Apr 19, 05 3:38 pm  · 
 · 
crillywazzy

yeah, but freehand is a better program (imho)

Apr 19, 05 3:40 pm  · 
 · 
Luis Fraguada

I just heard from a professor that instructs flash seminars and content creation for the web that apparently macromedia was not very well run. Apparently the Flash crew was very solid, but even the Dreamweaver crew was pretty badly managed. He also suggested that the reason people like Dreamweaver more is because at one point they really took user input seriously, and integrated it into the program.

He was talking about how the head of macromedia supposedly used to be a big doper. Did not have financial records from like 1997-1999. So the Feds came down hard on them. He did not do a very good job of being the "head" of the company.

All heresay though . . .

Apr 19, 05 3:48 pm  · 
 · 
barbaric

yeah, them fighting in courts (forgot over what) then settling (big surprise there too) and now this..........was it masterplanned?

it's funny cos if autodesk were to buy adobe now, they'd single-handedly control the DESIGN industry...............scary.........

Apr 19, 05 4:19 pm  · 
 · 
cvoogt

I go on vacation for a week and look what happens. I think this can be very bad ... I hope Adobe uses some common sense and leaves Dreamweaver alone .. and ditches GoLive. InDesign is good, and Fireworks is IMHO much better than ImageReady.

Apr 21, 05 9:49 am  · 
 · 

actually the reason I started using Dreamweaver was that it offered a free 30-day trial download, and I didn't feel like going on campus to use the school's computers that ran Adobe Pagemill at the time (anyone else remember that program?). It would be nice if Adobe picked up the 30-day trial practice from Macromedia, but what are the odds?

Apr 21, 05 10:42 am  · 
 · 
barbaric

rationalist- adobe does offer trail/demo versions of most of their software in the form of 30-day trials. I personally prefer the 30-save demos (like rhino 3d), because you don't feel rushed to try this time bomb, and besides, one usually gets a couple of hours a day on weekdays at the most.........

Apr 21, 05 11:23 am  · 
 · 
macgirl

This is bad, bad, bad. So much for my beloved Fireworks. So much for the cool Macromedia website, logos and overall product design. Every product box will bear that hideous Adobe logo and those silly graphics attached to them (can anyone explain why they ad that stupid eye for the pre-CS Photoshop logo?)

Adobe is boring. Macromedia was cool. They will be sadly missed.

Apr 22, 05 2:11 am  · 
 · 
chupacabra

I hope Fireworks survived. One of the most utilitarian all in one programs ever...I do all my web mockups using it. As far as Dreameaver I always just used it in split view so I could instantly view what my hand typed code was doing...instead of using the old school method of notepad, then saving, then viewing it in a browser.

Apr 22, 05 1:38 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: