Archinect
anchor

Screen Resolution Problems

dia

Hi,

I know there are many tech-savvy people on this forum, so I thought I'd ask this question:

What can you do when someone changes the resolution on your monitor to a setting beyond what it can handle, and then accepts it, so the result is a black screen and you cant change it back? I have tried looking in the reboot startup, but to no avail.

ps: I didnt do this, and its not my computer.

Apr 16, 05 1:06 am
trace™

I'd make sure it'd plugged in. I don't think it should go black, it'd just shorten the lifespan of the monitor.

Apr 16, 05 10:41 am  · 
 · 
b3tadine[sutures]

i think when you shutdown and restart hit F8 or F10 and get into your system BIOS and set to default settings, i think that will take the monitor back to its default resolution...

Apr 16, 05 11:30 am  · 
 · 
Bula

Restart in Safe mode and reset?

Apr 16, 05 1:00 pm  · 
 · 
trace™

That's a good idea. If it doesn't work in safe mode, most likely it's a connection. What happens when it's on a long time? Does it go into a power save mode or do nothing?

I wouldn't think you'd need to go into your bios - too scary for me. Just do teh normal right click on the desktop > Settings and change it to something low, like 800x600, restart. Then, if it works, select 'hide incompatible refresh rates' (which would be the only setting that someone could over spec, that I know of).

Apr 17, 05 9:51 am  · 
 · 
Jeremy_Grant

just type commands blindly...you can figure it out.

this is how i fixed mine after someone screwed up my settings (might be different for yours depending on video card brand--i have an ATI):

right click key (opens right click dialog)
arrow up (selects properties)
enter
shift+tab (highlights tab)
arrow right four times (selects settings tab)
tab, tab, tab (selects resolution slider)
arrow left a few times (to select low resolution)
tab tab tab tab tab (select ok button)
enter

Apr 17, 05 9:41 pm  · 
 · 
dia

Thanks everybody, I am going to get her to start it in Safe Mode. This should fix it - should have thought of it myself.

d

Apr 17, 05 10:43 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: