Archinect
anchor

Another Illustrator question

harold

I'm trying to figure out away to enhance cad files (color, drop shadow, texture, lineweight etc.) in illustrator. Normally, I would create a pdf file in AutoCAD, import it into Photoshop and just use the bucket tool to color and layers styles for drop shadows and stuff. Can anyone tell me the steps that need to be done in Illustrator?

Apr 15, 05 9:29 am
kylemiller

use Tools > Quick select to bring in a certain layer into Illustrator. All you have to do is select > copy.... and in Illustrator, paste. Once you bring in these layers individually in Illus. you can edit them individually in terms of lineweights, color, effects (drop shadow), etc. Illustrator is vector based so you can edit all lines you bring in.

Apr 15, 05 9:39 am  · 
 · 
e

once in illustrator you can select lines of the same weight, color, fill, weight and fill, etc. to manipulate like objects.

Apr 15, 05 12:52 pm  · 
 · 
jaja

The problem with illustrator is that it could be extremely time consuming. You have to make sure that you have closed segments. So you either have to make tons of closed polylines in autocad or join endpoints in illustrator. To make matters worse you have to subtract objects to get open areas so you are always bound on making hundreds of steps before getting the desired results. I find photoshop much and much faster en very intuitive than illustrator. Just crank up the dpi and you will need a magnifying glass to see the jagged edged. That is probably the reason why there are tons of websites and books on enhancing cad files in photoshop and nothing about illustrator and cad.

Apr 15, 05 1:14 pm  · 
 · 
kix

Just import the CAD file from File > Place or just File > Open. There will be a dialog box that will ask you if you want to join lines. If you select yes you might be waiting a long time for this to work but it is worth the wait when you get the problem jaja was mentioning.

A badass CAD plug-in for Illustrator is called "CADTools". I think it is made by HotDoor Software or something like that. You can set a scale for the document or per layer. It adds the basic drawing tools and dimension tools that CAD has to the Illustrator "tools" window. I've used this for years and love it.

Apr 15, 05 5:13 pm  · 
 · 
harold

What version of Illustrator are you guys talking about, because I can't open any dwg or dfx in Illustrator CS. I get the "unknown format" sign.

Apr 15, 05 5:43 pm  · 
 · 
kix

Are you on a PC or Mac?

Apr 15, 05 11:42 pm  · 
 · 
Josh Russell

make sure you save it as 2000 .dwg

Apr 16, 05 2:01 am  · 
 · 
harold

Saving as 2000.dwg works does open in illustrator. Adjusting the lineweight is not a big problem. Doing the fills is a big problem. Only the closed polylines get properly filled. I would have to make closed plines in autocad before exporting which could take forever.

1. What are the benefits in importing dwg opposed to pdf?
2. Is there a fast way to join endpoints?
3. Do you put each autocad layer on a separate layer in illustrator?
4. How can you save time in illustrator if you have to do so many steps opposed to Photoshop?

Apr 16, 05 3:49 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: