Archinect
anchor

bevel and emboss in Illustrator CS

harold

I use to make presentation boards creating all graphics and even text in photoshop and afterwards placing everything into Indesign. People called me crazy so I decided to give illustrator a try. As i'm pretty much a novice to this program, does anyone know how to create the "bevel and emboss" effect in illustrator?

Apr 12, 05 8:36 pm
pencrush

there may be an effect or a filter to do that, you'd have to look through the menus... can you give an image of what you're trying to achieve? you should not be doing any photo manipulation in illustrator, however, that's what photoshop is for.

The people who called you crazy may themselves have been crazy, or you may have misunderstood their point. In general, any vector based drawing,(text, lines, etc.) will turn out better in illustrator or indesign. Any photo manipulation is all photoshop.

Apr 12, 05 8:43 pm  · 
 · 
e

the help menu is your friend. i found something on creating bevels but not embossing. i think the thing to realize is that each app has it's advantages and learn to exploit them >>

To add a custom bevel path to the Bevel menu:
1. Open the Bevels.ai file located in the Adobe Illustrator Plug-ins folder.
2. Create a single open path in the Bevels.ai file.
3. Choose Window > Symbols, and do one of the following to make the path a symbol:
• Drag the path to the Symbols palette.
• With the path selected, click the New Symbol button in the Symbols palette or choose New Symbol from the palette menu.

For information on symbols, see Drawing with symbols.
4. To rename the symbol, double-click the symbol in the Symbols palette, enter a name in the Symbol Options dialog box, and click OK.
5. Choose File > Save.
6. Quit Illustrator and then relaunch Illustrator.

The Bevel menu in the 3D Extrude & Bevel Options dialog box lists the bevel.
7. To apply the custom bevel, do one of the following:
• To apply the bevel to an extruded 3D object, select the 3D object, and then double-click the 3D Extrude & Bevel effect in the Appearance palette. In the 3D Extrude & Bevel Options dialog box, choose the bevel from the Bevel menu.
• To apply the custom bevel to 2D artwork, select the 2D object, and then choose Effect > 3D > Extrude & Bevel. In the 3D Extrude & Bevel Options dialog box, choose the custom bevel from the Bevel menu.

Apr 12, 05 8:45 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: