Archinect
anchor

Teaching Autocad

dia

Hi,

It is my job to teach Autocad to a long-time hand-drafter, with little or no autocad experience.

What/where is the best way to start, and what are the crucial basics?

Apr 11, 05 5:37 pm
CalebRichers

GOOD LUCK, I HOPE YOU ARE GOING TO BE WELL COMPENSATED...I HAVE TRIED...LETS JUST SAY IT IS REAL HARD TO TEACH OLD DOGS NEW TRICKS...I ENDED UP BUYING A BOOK.

SINCE THE PROGRAM IS SO EXSTENSIVE TRY NARROWING THE TASKS YOUR STUDENT NORMALLY DOES BY HAND AND CREATE A CHECKLIST.

MAKE SURE HE/SHE UNDERSTANDS THAT ALOT OF PRACTICE IN FREETIME IS REQUIRED

Apr 11, 05 5:45 pm  · 
 · 

teach them the long versions of all the commands before the abbreviations- knowing the long version makes the command more memorable and make more sense. Also, don't act like lineweights are a foreign concept, emphasize that it's just like lineweights by hand, just that you can change them.

Apr 11, 05 5:50 pm  · 
 · 
TED

lesson 1:
teach them that when they post on archinect they need to turn cap locks off.

lesson 2:
teach them the magic of 'alt tab' so that when the boss man is approaching their desk they can switch quickly back from archinect to the project at hand.

lesson 3:
teach them autosave. make certain their file location is correct. have them copy the original file they are going to modify before they pick it up and f'ck it up.

Apr 11, 05 6:03 pm  · 
 · 
Ms Beary

I think teaching modelspace/paperspace and "drawing at full scale" then using viewports are very important initial concepts even if you don't get into page layout right away.
To teach paperspace, rip a rectangular void out of a sheet of paper. Take another sheet of paper with an image on it and use the ripped out rectangle sheet of paper as a "viewport" and show them how the full scale image is seen through the paperspace viewport. Make sense?
Nothing makes me pick up a computer program more than just using it.

Apr 11, 05 6:43 pm  · 
 · 
Saturn

Everything mentioned here is is a very good way of teaching autocad. My only thoughts is that you have to break it down into lesson plans. Like drawing and modifying for one lesson. Layers and linweights for lesson two and so on. Teach them the icons first and show them that placing the mouse over the icon reveals what the icon is (erase, line, offset, etc.) True scale is veryomportant because he will be used to drawing at a scale rather than using viewports. Other than that you should be good to go. One other thing though. After he has used it for some time, make a list of the standard keystrokes that are typically used. Let him know that they are there in case he gets tired of moving the mouse so much. Hands down this is the fastest way of drafting 2d with AutoCad. Good luck.

Apr 11, 05 9:23 pm  · 
 · 
b3tadine[sutures]

first dispel the myth that autocad is anything more than digital/electronic drafting, and that will go along way to easing them into it. it helped me alot. then you can move on to paperspace modelspace and then the granddaddy of all concepts, xrefing!

Apr 11, 05 9:24 pm  · 
 · 
dia

Good Stuff,

Today we learnt about the drawing environment, the draw commands and modify commands. But just getting used to the whole keyboard, pointer, right click thing is confusing...

Tomorrow its layers and Dimensions.

Our office doesnt use xref, its more about inserting and reinserting blocks, xclippping etc.

Apr 11, 05 10:26 pm  · 
 · 
TED

carring on from lesson 3

lunch. then return from lunch

lesson 4
start having them draw a basic plan. when they are finished, change it and have them draw it again. repeat this task say 20 times or so until its very clear they are really pissed off and ready to quit. then when they finally query you why didnt you have draw it correctly the first time, the lesson is done. [note this could take weeks!!] just responde in the same manor any manager would do....'well its on the computer and its just pressing a few buttons to make the changes....'

a small easy leason that they will soon appreciate the magic power of the computers ability to change or endlessly delay correct decision that need to be done to drawings.

new interns at diabase workstation awaiting next acad session!!

Apr 11, 05 10:50 pm  · 
 · 
b3tadine[sutures]

no xrefs???

oh no.

Apr 11, 05 11:06 pm  · 
 · 
TED

coping, pasting, inserting, reinserting, remaking blocks, etc are good technique to wean someone off hand drawings. no sense 'automating it' [you know, doing it once so you dont have to do it again like xrefs!!] until lesson 20. anyway, i am certian that technique keeps more people employed re-inserting their hearts out. dont mention standards like layer names until at least lesson 30! let them make up there own names, put anything and everything all over the place.

Apr 11, 05 11:12 pm  · 
 · 
ABlocha

Forget Autocad. There's so many more interesting programs now. Try Revit or some other intelligent building model program. this poor bastards just starting to learn Autocad and Autocad is just about dead. I won't go back to Autocad but I would go back to hand-drafting. Come to think of it i'd like to trying using my foot or other body parts with a mouse also.

Apr 16, 05 12:07 am  · 
 · 
TED

Hi

Nonesense ABlocha,,,,acad will make your life easier! using a mouse is so 60's.....

are u interested in some free lessons? i give gmail accounts when you sign up.......

let me tell you a secret. revit is acad and is made by acad. its acad with a profolactic. and it aint no mor in-tel-igent then da nex

Apr 16, 05 12:31 am  · 
 · 
ABlocha

Yeah. U right. I am just so sick o' foolin with the interface.
Copulating, pasting, inserting, reinserting. Makes you kinda nostalgic for a... never mind. Kids don't try this at home.

Let me rephrase. Why would you want to learn autocad? You'll never get to be a project manager that way.

Apr 16, 05 12:39 am  · 
 · 
dia

ABlocha, I can give you my bosses name and you can justify the expense of converting to Revit to him. In the meantime, AutoCad will have to do.

Apr 16, 05 12:44 am  · 
 · 
ABlocha

diabase. I hear ya. You're not trying to teach your boss autocad, I hope.

Beware this question. I wonder what platform they're standardizing on in the Chinese drafting production sweatshops...?

Here's my somewhat useful advice, however. If you're really trying to make that jump from hand to mouse, I suggest studying Uta Hagen and the basic object exercise.

"The purpose of this exercise is to help the actor understand that by endowing the objects and the conditions prescribed by the playwright with imagined realities, he can produce sensations at will. In part one, you will learn to test sensory responses to visible and tangible objects that have been imaginatively endowed with properties that cannot or should not be real on stage."

Try here...exercise 5
http://www.owlnet.rice.edu/~thea301/Rigdon/Uta_Hagen.htm
for example.

Apr 16, 05 1:02 am  · 
 · 
TED

do you mean life gets better as a project manager? is thats what its about?

Apr 16, 05 1:03 am  · 
 · 
ABlocha

TED boy. That means you get to go drink your bourbon, take your kids to soccer or whatever, while those buggers in production stay up all night "pumping cad".

http://www.coroflot.com/public/main_frame.asp?individual_id=6719

Aren't you guys done yet?

Apr 16, 05 1:07 am  · 
 · 
TED

fuck.

i dont got no kid.

Apr 16, 05 1:14 am  · 
 · 
ABlocha

You got lots o' progeny though.

Apr 16, 05 1:20 am  · 
 · 
barbaric

TED, you are correct my friend in saying that Revit is Autocad in disguise..........autodesk made it to make it look like there is fresh competition in the drafting market.......But I wouldn't argue with ablocha on this one, he seems very.....passionate about the subject matter....

diabase, good luck with your teaching. I have sympathy for your boss who isn't arrogant enough not to know that he needs to keep updating his arsenal of skills to survive in this world.....

Apr 16, 05 1:44 am  · 
 · 
vado retro

ted- no woman wants to be impregnated by a dude who uses double negatives.

Apr 16, 05 11:56 am  · 
 · 
biomec

alt tab......wow.thanks ted

Apr 16, 05 4:19 pm  · 
 · 
coolhaus

barbaric - Revit WAS the competition! don't you remember? Autodesk bought it. Why did they buy it? BECAUSE it was the competition... So now we have a choice right? You can be sure one day that, allthough AutoCAD will live, sometime soon ony ADT or Revit will survive (if one doesn't become the other first that is...)

May 10, 05 1:07 pm  · 
 · 
norm

diabase - no x-refs?
repeat after me - x-refs are your friend...x-refs are your friend...

May 10, 05 1:57 pm  · 
 · 
FRO

my boss wants me to teach him AutoCAD- I'm scared.

May 10, 05 2:00 pm  · 
 · 
vado retro

undo is your friend

May 10, 05 11:13 pm  · 
 · 
dia

norm - i have since left that practice and now, given the opportunity I will now be using x-refs, but not only that, also paperspace and adopting a cad layer standard! Looking forward to stepping into the 20th century!

May 10, 05 11:44 pm  · 
 · 
iZNOF

So long as youre not the "kid" anyone will be your student.

It's also very important to let them know that you hate it too, or else they wont trust you...

May 11, 05 3:12 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: