Archinect
anchor

where is greg lynn @?

barbaric

I've noticed atleast 3 schools that mention Greg Lynn as a professor in their faculty this semester. UCLA, Columbia, and Yale. Unless he has discovered a way to clone himself (twice), how is this possible? Not to mention he has his firm, greg lynn form, to worry about as well.......so I ask you: where is greg lynn @?

Apr 9, 05 8:58 am
dlb

why does this situation with greg lynn sounds so unusual?

greg will be teaching in graduate programs at the various institutions. he is likely to meet the students every 2 or 3 week or so. 2 or 3 days at a time maybe. then off to another school.

email and faxing designs, sketches, texts, etc back to the office. and living in LA and being at UCLA means half the time is spent close to the office and the family.

hard work? lots of air miles? sure, but hardly the consequence of cloning. the same routine applies to rem, ben van berkel, zaha, j. herzog, nasrine seraji, and dozens of other architects at least.

is this efficient or valuable? ask the students who have had these tutors over the course of some years. enthusiasm and something worth saying as opposed to baby-sitting.

Apr 9, 05 10:50 am  · 
 · 
e

let's hope he's home just sitting on the couch.

Apr 9, 05 11:49 am  · 
 · 
pasha

God help us if we all design like Greg Lynn.. Let him roam the earth..(I'll be in UCLA this fall)
I am sorry, I really dislike majority of his projects.
I am basing my opinion on the projects on his website.
I know its natural shape and all, but its ooo-gly..

Apr 9, 05 11:52 am  · 
 · 
barbaric

dlb- I just mentioned Lynn because in my research, no other professor is found in the faculty list of more than two schools.........I find that peculiar to say the least. It was as if you'd scroll down the name of professors and think to yourself "wanna bet I find greg Lynn now"............that's all. And if that is the case, I find it amusing that Mr.Lynn collects checks from potential rivals.........now that's cool!

pasha- I'm not a fan of the guy by any means, but his criticism is refreshing and valid, and his work is different than most (even though I don't agree/understand most of it). That's a testament of how diverse and refreshing the architecture field can be.......

Apr 9, 05 12:15 pm  · 
 · 
dlb

fyi:

peter eisenmann - faculty member at: yale, cooper union, princeton

karl chu - faculty member at: columbia, pratt, u. barcelona

manuel delanda - faculty member at: cooper, princeton, columbia

Apr 9, 05 4:36 pm  · 
 · 
Medit

I thought he was at the ETH Zürich in Switzerland?

Apr 9, 05 4:51 pm  · 
 · 
barbaric

dlb- good points. But it's not as simple as that. You can pinpoint those professors usually. Eisenmann is, for the most part, a Yale regular. Chu, columbia. De Landa stays in NYC, is he practicing architecture? Lynn is all over the place............there's no gravity with him..........and he covers distances in 3 different cities.........

Therefore, I conclude that he has a private jet, which of course, he designed..............maybe that explains all those UFO sightings in New Mexico...............

Apr 9, 05 5:40 pm  · 
 · 
G-bot

I've experienced this style of teaching and it sucks! Emails and teleconferencing just don't match an studio instructor who is always in the school, doing side projects in the school, lecturing in the school, etc. Stars sound great when your chit chating with your mates in years to come but good solid teaching staff in a university setting can't be beat!

Apr 9, 05 5:43 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: