Archinect
anchor

Digital Photography

Hasselhoff

Does anyone know of a portable harddrive device that you can use to back up compact flash cards? I'm going to Japan for about 10 weeks this summer and can't carry a lot, so there is no way I can lug around a laptop. But I'm worried I will fill a 2 GB Compact Flash card pretty fast. I'm taking both an SLR and a digital point and shot, but I'm sure I will take 9283498234 pictures. Anythoughts?

Apr 6, 05 6:06 pm
joe

I beleive ipod has something that can do this for you:
linkhttp://store.apple.com/1-800-MY-APPLE/WebObjects/AppleStore.woa/70702/wo/xK5wjzJkhQMU2tkxkeF2ho86TkD/6.0.0.11.1.0.6.9.3.19.0.1.0.1.1.0.1.0.3
but I think you have to have a ipod photo.

Apr 6, 05 6:15 pm  · 
 · 
ovalle

man i know what you mean.. i had two gigs when i went to australia recently .. and my camera is 8megapixels !/.. anyways i wish i had this, The Hard Disk Drive - S-HD-100, when i went!.. i think its available in asia soon:

http://www.dpreview.com/news/0410/04101302oly_easyimsystem.asp

and here

http://www.olympus.co.jp/en/news/2005a/nr050301ir300e.cfm

buy the portable hardrive.... otherwise you can use a ipod

Apr 6, 05 6:16 pm  · 
 · 
pencrush

I found this
and this

I don't have any experience with either..

search in google, I'm sure you can find something better..

Apr 6, 05 7:33 pm  · 
 · 
SpringFresh

You can get a media reader for normal i-pods- not the mini ones and i think it just automatically sucks the images off and stores them in numbered files.

And by the way did you know that the real David Hasslehof can't have any alchohol any more- he goes a bit wild apparently...

Apr 6, 05 7:56 pm  · 
 · 
French

Just to use the thread for other purpose than its author, I have a quick question for our photo experts out there. I've been willing to buy a nikon coolpix 8400 both for professional and personal use. Has anybody tried it? Is it good? If not, does anybody knows about a good website with tests and comparatives including this camera?

Apr 7, 05 5:01 am  · 
 · 
RNNR

i was looking for the same thing a few months back - after some research i found that Western Digital offers an external HD (+160GB) with a built-in card reader (CF, SD, etc.). apparently it has a function that will back up your storage cards w/o the use of a computer.

here

Apr 7, 05 10:41 am  · 
 · 
WonderK

Can anybody recommend a good point-and-shoot? Nothing fancy, pocket size, quick turnover time (you know, just push the button and take a picture like a real camera, none of this delayed reaction crap)....

Not to commandeer the thread, just curious.

Apr 7, 05 1:33 pm  · 
 · 
Hasselhoff

#1 I ordered the i.Perris Super 20. I should have that in a few days. If I remember, I'll come back and let you all know how it is. I did some math and if I were to get a 2 GB CF card and take "a roll a day" (24 exp) it would be spent in 6 weeks, so there goes 4 weeks. Plus, I'm sure I'll take more than 24 a day. I also figured that a CF card is about 12 MB a dollar, where as the Super 20 is about 83 MB per dollar. Not a bad deal. Who knows if I'll ever get back to Japan again, I am going to just shoot high res pics nonstop.

#2 I highly recommend the Canon Powershot series. I have an A80 and it's totally solid. Fully automatic plus a variety of manual features (aperture priority, shutter priority, manual etc.). 4 megapixel. I think the newest version is the A95. Check them out. Everyone I know loves the cameras. I have a friend with an A75 and she loves it too. They are slightly larger than some of the 'sleaker' ones, but they use AA batteries (really nice), but a good size. Check them out. DO IT!

Apr 7, 05 1:42 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: