Archinect
anchor

Strippers, Fast-Food & Serfdom ...

psymian

we've [almost] all found ourselves pressed to the brink as a result of working 80+ hours in studio on a shoe-string budget, so ...

what do you do [or have done] to supplement, augment, and supplant your income while in school?

Apr 6, 05 4:59 pm
stephanie

steal

Apr 6, 05 5:03 pm  · 
 · 
strlt_typ

signature student loan

Apr 6, 05 5:06 pm  · 
 · 
psymian

are there any entrepreneurs at large?

Apr 6, 05 5:16 pm  · 
 · 
ferplexion

renderings, websites

Apr 6, 05 5:31 pm  · 
 · 
momentum

work in computer lab at school...

sell a kidney

Apr 6, 05 6:49 pm  · 
 · 
arimae

websites & selling various artpieces (when the opportunity comes along)

Apr 6, 05 7:02 pm  · 
 · 

I'm with stephanie... when money got low I mastered the art of shoplifting. thats how I would get groceries and the occasional book from Barnes and Noble.

Apr 6, 05 7:14 pm  · 
 · 
liberty bell

Picked up visiting artists/lecturers at the airport for $20/trip. The department office set this up for me.

I went to school with a girl who would leave studio to enter wet T-shirt contests at the local bars, win a several hundred dollar prize, and come back to studio to work through the night. Hardcore.

Apr 6, 05 11:28 pm  · 
 · 
Ms Beary

i third the stealing

liberty - that's hilarious!

Apr 6, 05 11:30 pm  · 
 · 
Ms Beary

i stole an interior designer's textbook during finals week. almost $100 I got for it. she was an obnoxious girl.'

Apr 6, 05 11:33 pm  · 
 · 
Kai

I've made $7,000 this semester in online poker

Apr 6, 05 11:44 pm  · 
 · 
nervoussystem

yeah but how much have you lost....

Apr 7, 05 12:28 am  · 
 · 
LBG

I whore myself out to the interior architecture girlies.

Apr 7, 05 12:33 am  · 
 · 
psymian

word

Apr 7, 05 12:33 am  · 
 · 
c

ever tried those shopper services.. ghost shopping i think it is .you're paid to check out stores, and i maybe they fund your purchases too.. i've been wondering about them.

Apr 7, 05 1:16 am  · 
 · 
inkwray

i'm going to vegas the second the semester gets out.

Apr 7, 05 2:02 am  · 
 · 
inkwray

kai- online poker? tell me more

Apr 7, 05 2:03 am  · 
 · 
trace™

switched careers and life looks great now!

Apr 7, 05 8:44 am  · 
 · 
betamax

i did drugs and didn't worry about it.

Apr 7, 05 9:30 am  · 
 · 
cvankle

TA or work part time, if you can handle it.

Apr 7, 05 10:13 am  · 
 · 
LBG

lied to my doctor about having ADHD, got a prescription of aderaal then sold it for 500% of what I paid for it.

Apr 7, 05 12:44 pm  · 
 · 
A

I did the college favorite and donated plasma. Think I was raking in around $50/week doing that. Still got this hole in my arm to prove I could handle that giant needle twice a week.

Apr 7, 05 1:15 pm  · 
 · 
stephanie

A-
i'm in that club too!

Apr 7, 05 1:20 pm  · 
 · 
bigness

hey, my tutor offered me money to help with a pavillion for Architecture week...

then 2 days later he said he needed a website...

then today he said he needed a "few days of help" to finish a competition...

at the end of the afternoon he said that i should consider a period of about a month and a half encompassing all these jobs and that i would get paid at the end...

whatever you do dont work for your tutor, unless he's a huge commercial architect, in which case why the fuck is he your tutor?

Apr 7, 05 2:59 pm  · 
 · 
whodamantom

Ive got a buddy who provided financial backing for dealers on campus and raked in the loot while sitting at his studio desk, entrepreanurship isnt always ethical.
Also know lots of people who whore themselves out in the dating scene to be able to go out to dinner and stuff like that.

Personally, my parents have been great, it is so hard to work a typical college job when you have studio.

Ive had some luck picking up small jobs, like additions and garages, sheds, etc. Depending on where you live you can get away with doing these projects and having them signed off by a municipal engineer.

I understand that theres good money in posing for figure drawing.

As for stealing. Thats pretty low, use your creative skills to get what you want, dont take from others. For example I sell stuff on ebay; you can buy stuff you recoginze the value in and someone out there will give you money for it. i.e. last semester i went to the salvage yard ont he weekends to have some leasure time, pulled stuff out of cars that I had seen on ebay for $$$ and made myself mad coin. And when it comes to food, why not use your time constructively and grow some stuff. Also, you can get food that grocery stores throw away, and donut shops, and bakerys, tap the waste!

And youd be suprised by the stuff people give you money for. We all do stupid stuff sometimes. So take it to the street and collect some money, if you made me laugh, i would give you a buck.

Apr 7, 05 3:19 pm  · 
 · 
e

i used to pitch quarters at the bus stop.

Apr 7, 05 3:22 pm  · 
 · 
anonymouse

"As for stealing. Thats pretty low"

easy for someone funded by mommy and daddy to say

do you really think your alternative of selling the nice expensive things mommy bought you is going to make "youdaman"

as for real advice: i would say that my two years of working full time during school made me a better architect overall. and contrary to popular belief didnt interfere with school. it just made me super efficient.

another piece of advice is to just accept that student debt is part of your world. when i look back on my school years the amount i pay in loans each month seems insignificant. if anything, i would take out more money and do more while in college. a student loan is the only type of loan where you can postpone payment due to hardship. this really takes the stress off.

Apr 7, 05 3:35 pm  · 
 · 
A

Did I read that correctly? Are people suggesting that students eat garbage? That might be a new archinect low.

Apr 7, 05 4:14 pm  · 
 · 
meversusyou

define garbage.

by 'getting' the food from the gorcery stores, do you mean snorkeling in the dumpster, or politely asking the manager on duty?

if the food is in its own air tight plastic bag and is sitting on the surface of other pieces of refuse, is that garbage?

Apr 7, 05 4:19 pm  · 
 · 

stealing and not getting caught takes a lot of creativity... probably more than selling shit on ebay.

oh yeah, it also requires a very large courier bag

Apr 7, 05 4:28 pm  · 
 · 
stephanie

i would mostly steal things like, soap, toilet paper, small items that would fit into my pockets, food left over from meetings, lectures, or gallery openings. sneaking into movies. more recently i will enter in cheaper codes on produce while going through the self check-out like at the grocery store. i'm not talking about massive shoplifting, just saving a few dollars here and there, mainly on items of nessecity.

i've also had friends who have gone through the process to qualify for food stamps. and i've gone to the rescue mission to get food.

one time a kid on the street asked me for change to buy soap and i said "you can steal soap"

Apr 7, 05 4:37 pm  · 
 · 

Like mentioned above, groceries was my main scheme. This included the half gallon containers of soy milk, loafs of bread, jelly, peanut butter.... the typical college student meals.

Another great way to get free meals is to visit the local Hare Krishna center. They typically have weekly free vegetarian meals, the downside being that you have to listen to them talk about their religion. I got nothing against Krishnas, I've read some of their books and am a big fan of Shelter (post-hardcore joke, sorry Ray Cappo). But they kinda have the habit of preaching at times when all you want is a free meal.

Apr 7, 05 4:42 pm  · 
 · 

Learn the art of working the exhibit opening, lecture reception, or party, for just long enough to make it over to the food table and eat a whole meal's worth of cheese and crackers. There's always SOMETHING, that SOMEBODY's having a reception for where food can be scored if we're really talking about the neccesities here.

Shower in the school gym- that way your water bill isn't too high, and they usually have those dispensers of liquid soap/shampoo.

Otherwise, get a job. While you're at it, get an architecture job so that you expand your education a bit.

I've noticed that the school newspaper offers 8-15k for egg donations. If that's cool with you, it seems like a hell of a windfall.

Apr 7, 05 4:52 pm  · 
 · 
stephanie

i've done the hare krishna thing too!
they have really good food.

this thread is making me feel like a bad person.

but not too much.

tonight is first thursday i am going out for free wine, shitty art, and as many cubes of cheese and celery sticks i can find.

Apr 7, 05 4:53 pm  · 
 · 
Tim DeCoster

Stealing is quite low. I can't belive what I'm reading here. Our profession is ranked most respected among all of them.

Be responsible - no matter how tough things get. It's the only way.

Apr 7, 05 4:54 pm  · 
 · 
stephanie

okay, now i do feel like a bad person.

Apr 7, 05 4:59 pm  · 
 · 
Manteno_Montenegro

You and a spouse or good friend of the opposite sex can always get pregnant and sell the baby on the black market.

Don't say it hasn't been done!

Apr 7, 05 5:19 pm  · 
 · 
stephanie

or ladies can donate eggs.

Apr 7, 05 5:22 pm  · 
 · 
meversusyou

i was always scared to steal, it was the notion of getting caught and somehow getting kicked out of school... something rediculous like that.

but seriously, stealing is terrible. i lived a spartan existance through school. library has books, no need to buy them yet, thrift store has clothes, discount bakery, school cafeteria has food.

i always thought that people who stole didnt have their shit together. stealing 'little stuff' is the worst. pay the 2 bucks for the soap. sheesh

Apr 7, 05 5:55 pm  · 
 · 
stephanie

okay. i now feel like scum.

:( :(

Apr 7, 05 5:58 pm  · 
 · 

I gave up on feeling bad a while ago...

morals are for people that can afford new pants

Apr 7, 05 5:58 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: