Archinect
anchor

U of Miami M.Arch (and gen grad school thoughts)

Guffman

This past winter I applied to several M.Arch I programs and would appreciate the insight of those on this board w/ regards to my school choice. I applied to: GSD, UMich, UMiami, Princeton, UVA & Yale. I was accepted to Miami & UMich but was dinged by the others. My application process was pretty brutal in that I experienced two major family tragedies in the autumn that, at the least, had significant impact on my M.Arch applications. So, I'm now trying to decide as to whether I ought to defer my acceptances and wait a year, improve my porfolio/retake GRE's, and reapply or to go ahead and enroll at Miami.

My background: Undergrad: Political Sci & Philosophy w/ 3.8 GPA & Notre Dame. Grad: Masters in Urban Planning at Cambridge (UK). GE 660 m 660 v 6 writing (though i had tested better before things went south). I've always been interested in new urbanism (gasp - i know its considered an anathama to the modernists out there) so I'm attracted to Miami as its the center of the NU movement. Of the schools I applied to, Yale was probably my top choice as it one of the only "elite" archie schools that offered any daylight for classical/traditional/new urbanist notions of architecture.

Miami's not ranked in the DI - in part b/c the survey of professional practicioners failed to include any new urbanist firms (DPZ, Calthorpe, ASG, etc). And I dont give much consideration to the concept of 'ranking' artistic style and education, but I would like attend school in the most rigorous & challenging environment possible. And I've heard mixed reviews on the quality of studio's there. Other the other hand, the 3.5 yr program allows for a combo degree of M.Arch + Masters in Suburb & Town Design.

Anyways- end to this monologue. I'd appreciate to hear your thoughts on Miami, etc. Thanks in advance.

Apr 6, 05 11:56 am
Guffman

Doooh! My apologies for the multiple misspellings...I click 'submit' prematurely..

Apr 6, 05 11:59 am  · 
 · 
urbs-in-horto

No expert in this stuff myself (I'm more or less in the same boat, looking for my next school) but I know that only two schools out there have an explicit New Urbanism philosophy- Notre Dame and Miami. If that's what you're interested in, and you're already accepted, Miami seems like a no brainer.

Dec 28, 08 11:28 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: