Archinect
anchor

Denmark Internship Question

someguy22

Denmark has a policy that you can not do an architectural internship there if you have completed your education to a Masters Level, unless an internship is required within your studies or you have been accepted for a relevant post-graduate course.

I just finished my masters in April and have been offered an internship in Copenhagen. I am worried that since I am a graduate I will not be able to accept it. Have any grads done this before? Is there a way to get around this rule? Any insight would be appreciated.

Aug 17, 11 6:32 pm
Anders

I think the office has the responsibility of following the rules. Ask them about it. I know that some offices in Denmark pay small fees to interns to avoid this problem (500-1000 euro/month).

Aug 18, 11 7:38 am  · 
 · 
lescape

If you have already completed your education (no matter it is bachelors or maters level), you cannot apply for an intern work permit. But you can apply a regular work permit - you'll have to communicate with your firm and let them adjust your title.

Congrats!

Aug 19, 11 12:08 am  · 
 · 

Hi there,

I am interested in the topic because i am close to obtain an internship in Denmark. I would like to know the regular payment for an intern (with 3-5 years of work experience) please! And to "someguy22" : how things resolved in the end?

Thank you!

Jun 30, 12 7:50 am  · 
 · 

Not sure what the Danish law is but I saw this statement on a Dutch firm's website (UNStudio) "In the Netherlands a strict difference exists between a trainee position and a professional position. In order to apply as a trainee, you have to be in school or university. Dutch tax regulations only permit trainees (non-graduates) to receive a compensation of € 600,- a month on top of the expected study grant."

Jun 30, 12 3:01 pm  · 
 · 
accesskb

Just keep hush about your grad school and don't expect to be paid more than an undergrad intern ;P

Jun 30, 12 7:09 pm  · 
 · 

Thank you Amir,

I am still in school but I've been working for about 5 years now, and i hope it will count for something. I will lok for the danish law, but i think every architectural office has it's own specific payments for interns. That was what i was hoping to find out from someone with an internship experience in Denmark. 

Thanks for replying accesskb,

Nice advice :) i hope they evaluate my skills and experience properly.

Jul 1, 12 5:05 am  · 
 · 
someguy22

hi, just noticed your reply Nita. I think it depends a lot on the office, but where I am working it does not matter how much experience outside of the internship you have. All interns make the same, but your pay increases after 6 months if you extend your contract

Jul 10, 12 5:08 pm  · 
 · 

Hi,

Someguy22, I would like to ask you more questions.. Can we talk on private? here is my mail, please contact me.  [email protected] Some more information would be great for me especialy that you are already an intern there,

Thank you!

Jul 11, 12 1:43 am  · 
 · 
majkelecek

someguy22,

Have you finished your Masters in Denmark? I have done my BA and atm I am considering very much applying to Copenhagen or Aarhus for my Masters. If you have studied there, some information would be much appreciated!

Dec 2, 12 3:48 pm  · 
 · 
accesskb

problem is one is very unlikely to get hired if they've recently finished their school, but if one gets hired they must be an intern and be expected to be paid crap.  Lose either way

Dec 2, 12 3:54 pm  · 
 · 
Echoho

Hi, someguy22, I've recently run into the same situation as you do. I am going to graduate this June but the internship starts at August. Could you let me know how you've taken care of this? Thanks a lot!

Jun 9, 13 9:26 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: