Archinect
anchor

Translucent material? Plastic ?

dagger

I would like to get the information(detail, wall section, specific product) of the “sexy” translucent material which I can use it at the exterior wall as well.
(some of the plastic is not good for Exterior, right?)
I do not know about the case of Polycarbonate or acrylic material )

What about the price?
Is it extremely expensive?

Thanks

Apr 5, 05 5:42 pm

Well, there's Kalwall (sp?), if you want something thick and insulating. If not, you can use a sandblasted glass, a screenprinted glass, or a resin material such as 3Form (www.3-form.com).

Apr 5, 05 5:44 pm  · 
 · 
Jr.

GE Plastics makes polycarbonate suitable for exterior walls (used in greenhouses, for instance). We were looking at using some for interior use, but the deflection was to great for a horizontal application. However, we went to GE's website and asked for samples, and they sent us a bunch of different 3-walled samples--opaque, semi-translucent (in grey and blue), fully transparent, etc.

Apr 5, 05 8:25 pm  · 
 · 
evilplatypus

Have you looked into fiberglass?

Apr 5, 05 10:26 pm  · 
 · 
Janosh

Panelite was used by some Dutch guy at IIT. It's polycarbonate honeycomb in a sealed glass sandwich. Spendy at about $35 a foot.

Apr 6, 05 12:19 am  · 
 · 
pencrush
Panelite's website

. It is expensive stuff though. They have other products without glass on the exterior (basically cast resin, I think) that can be used for indoor applications, i.e. Rem's desks in the IIT.

Apr 6, 05 11:46 am  · 
 · 
Dazed and Confused

Apr 6, 05 12:07 pm  · 
 · 
Dazed and Confused
Apr 6, 05 12:12 pm  · 
 · 
fakeid

litracon. the translucent concrete that d&c posted. should be rather pricey.

Apr 6, 05 12:31 pm  · 
 · 
archie

LightBlocks® panels are a patented, durable, light transmitting medium that ...
www.lightblocks.com/main.html
this is exactly what you need, but expensive. Other alternatives would be to use frosted or colored plexiglas sheets behind regular clear glass surface, or just use clear glass with an applied film to the interior. 3M makes frosting films that re applied to the glass. you can also just sandblast or acid etch glass and make it translucent, although beware it makes it hard to clean. you would want to use the frosted surface inside. The frosting film is nice- you can apply it in patterns or designs. There are also many types of glass made with a 'scrim' sandwiched in between, that can by anything from a metal screen to rice paper. Again, they are expensive.

Apr 6, 05 12:59 pm  · 
 · 
fergus

what about polycarbonate "a la laban"-H+DeM its kinda the darling material of the moment.or glass planks.

Apr 6, 05 1:20 pm  · 
 · 

ooh, also channel glass ends up pretty translucent

Apr 6, 05 1:22 pm  · 
 · 
g-love

3form makes some colored translucent exterior sheets - about 1/4" thick and i wouldn't use them as the primary watertight layer. $5/sf too.

Apr 6, 05 10:42 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: