Archinect
anchor

travel in europe

blackbird

I have 2 weeks I can spend in Europe.
I could go anywhere.

want to stay away from cities and buildings...
(just earth and sky and the feeling of old history would be good)
also want to avoid tight schedules and fixed dates

on a tight budget

any suggestions?

was thinking of scotland...

Apr 5, 05 7:09 am
johndevlin

SW Ireland: Co Kerry, Ring of Kerry, Valentia Island, etc.

Apr 5, 05 7:28 am  · 
 · 

hike up to arthur's seat above edinburgh

and if you're in ireland...hitchhike (a must) to the burren, adare, limerick.

the landscape in the netherlands is unlike anything i've experienced anywhere else: low, flat, , network of canals, trees shaped by the constant breezes.

small town of konigstein in former east germany not far from the czech border: ferry powered by the river's flow, bridges from the streets to the house entries, castle up on the hill overlooking town.

...actually, getting too far into germany's probably a stretch, but scotland, ireland, england, belgium and netherlands could all be within a smallish budget if you're comfortable with motor coaches, ferries, and hitchhiking (which is much more part of the culture in ireland than you might anticipate).

Apr 5, 05 9:00 am  · 
 · 
Marcus Trimble

London is good.

I think they have sky there...

Apr 5, 05 9:09 am  · 
 · 
tinydancer

if you go to Italy go to San Gimignano

Apr 5, 05 9:55 am  · 
 · 
CalebRichers

SLAVINIA, THEY HAVE THE MOST BEAUTIFULL MOUNTAIN RANGE IN EUROPE, ALL THE OUTDOOR ADVENTURE (KAYAKING, RAFTING, BUNJEE, SKYDIVING, ROCK CLIMBING, FLYFISHING ETC.) SWITZERLAND HAS BUT AT A THIRD OF THE PRICE (EASTERN EUROPE).....A LITTLE OUT OF THE WAY BUT THE BEST TRIP I'VE EVER MADE.

Apr 5, 05 10:35 am  · 
 · 
WonderK

Here's the thread about Edinburgh:

http://www.archinect.com/forum/threads.php?id=P15682_0_42_0_C

I will always recommend that you go to Scotland. It is gorgeous! And Ireland is as well, the landscapes in both countries are breathtaking....

If you are looking for something on the continent, there is a wee town in the Czech Republic called Cesky Krumlov that looks like something out of a fairy tale. It is very small and quaint and also very cheap because the Czech Rep. is still not as expensive as it's Western neighbors....also they have rafting (maybe not this early in the year) and horseback riding, although you should note that the horses don't speak English and don't understand when you say "stop". :o)

Otherwise, I'm not so good at recommending non-cities. But I could go on about Europe all day....

Apr 5, 05 10:56 am  · 
 · 
osnap

travel eastern europe if you wanna stay cheap... all the cities along the danube river are easy to get to.... budapest, bratislava, prague. You can get a train there from berlin for something like 40-50 dollars. and once your there, living is way cheap.

Apr 5, 05 11:05 am  · 
 · 
Medit

go to the Pyrenees.. lots of earth, lots of sky, beautiful unknown romanesque churches, start in the basque country then end in Catalonia, then either up to southern france or down to Barcelona by the coast... lots of sea, lots of beaches, beautiful towns -- but, huh, full of drunken hooligans in the summer...

Apr 5, 05 4:22 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: