Archinect
anchor

Free At Last

vado retro

April 4, 1968 a bad day

Apr 4, 05 7:28 am
TED

not free in any way.

but maybe some day the congress will get off their asses and think about real health care for all americans instead of wasting time on cases like shiavo.

Jackson, Farrakhan make call for activism
Education, health care and voting rights act emphasized at forum

By Glenn Jeffers
Tribune staff reporter
Published April 3, 2005

A crowd clamored inside Rainbow/PUSH headquarters Saturday as two of the city's most prominent civil rights leaders laid out the ills plaguing black America.

At a forum commemorating the 37th anniversary of the assassination of Dr. Martin Luther King Jr., Rev. Jesse Jackson and Nation of Islam leader Louis Farrakhan decried the state of health care and education for African-Americans.

More important, the two called on African-Americans nationwide to mobilize and actively deal with these issues. If not, Farrakhan said, they would be dealing with the same problems "on the 95th anniversary" of the death of King, who was slain April 4, 1968.

Health care and education were not the only subjects Jackson and Farrakhan delved into during the two-hour forum. They also spoke in detail on the coming reauthorization of the 1965 Voting Rights Act.

Jackson stressed the importance of renewing portions of the 40-year-old bill, scheduled to expire in 2007.

Despite having a legal right to vote since the 15th Amendment was ratified, African-Americans have had to contend with obstacles when it comes to voting, Jackson said.

Indeed, a U.S. Civil Rights Commission determined that of the nearly 180,000 votes that were invalidated during the 2000 presidential election, more than half were cast by African-Americans.

There also have been allegations that African-Americans were disproportionately disenfranchised in the 2004 election.

"These are new barriers to the rights of voters," said Dr. Ron Walters, a University of Maryland professor who studies African-American politics.

Jackson, who has been touring the South to rally support for renewing the bill, is planning a "massive" rally later this year in Atlanta, he said.

"No one should take the voting rights amendment for granted," Jackson said. "We want hearings and reauthorization."

Apr 4, 05 10:26 am  · 
 · 
citizen

Now if only these two civil-rights giants could overcome their anti-Semitism....

Apr 4, 05 6:47 pm  · 
 · 
ArchAngel

The Last time I looked, Black America disproportionately benefits from public health care and education grants.
Furthermore, that Blacks disproportionately voted for John Kerry and still lost does not mean the were disenfranchised. As a matter of fact, no group had coordinated a bigger effort to get out and vote exclusively for themselves. The election was not taken from Kerry or blacks. Farrakhan and Jackson ought to do something for all mankind instead of only blacks - they wouldn't come across as such poverty pimps. The last time I looked, racism did't exist anymore. Reverse dicrimination is something we all need to be weary of thesedays.

Apr 4, 05 9:07 pm  · 
 · 
A

AA - There is no such thing as "reverse discrimination." It's discrimination no matter who the affected party may be.

Apr 4, 05 9:11 pm  · 
 · 
A Center for Ants?

"The last time I looked, racism did't exist anymore"

ArchAngel- what are you smoking? cause it definitely does.

Apr 5, 05 4:47 pm  · 
 · 
ArchAngel

Give me one example.An example that wasn't created to compensate for a lack of individual, personal responsibility.

Apr 5, 05 6:27 pm  · 
 · 
A Center for Ants?

Living in southern california, I've found there are groups of people that honestly believe that "mexicans" are responsible for everything from increased crime, our bad economy, to spreading disease, and colonization and subversion of our "culture".

Here is a prime example:
http://library.flawlesslogic.com/aspects.htm

This is an article entitled "Our Race is Our Nation"

It's amazing that things like this go on but to claim this sentiment doesn't exist is blatantly ignorant.

Apr 5, 05 8:13 pm  · 
 · 
antipod

I get very concerned by anybody who starts comparing themselves to the Roman 'Empire'. Scary. If people like this don't want "foreigners" in their country they should stop encouraging their government to occupy other peoples countries. Stands to reason surely?

Apr 6, 05 8:42 am  · 
 · 
A Center for Ants?

Example B:

(From Today's NY Times)

http://www.nytimes.com/2005/04/06/national/06white.html

Apr 6, 05 12:34 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: