Archinect
anchor

how is the MUP in University at Buffalo, State university of New York

turquoise

how is the MUP in University at Buffalo, State university of New York?? i got the admission letter from the school these days and was only awarded 3000usd for the first year of study....could u guys give me some advise whether MUP of University at Buffalo worthy to go?!

Apr 4, 05 5:27 am
Smokety Mc Smoke Smoke

I'm assuming you are considering SUNY-Buffalo for urban planning? Without getting into the "my school is better than your school" banter that has been proliferating in the posts of late, I would say that the MUP program there is good, and the "known" programs are probably MIT, UC Berkeley, UNC-Chapel Hill, UCLA, USC, SUNY-Buffalo, and with a small smattering of Ivies.

That being said, just do your research and ask the right questions. If you are interested in a specific aspect of planning, make sure that your target school not only offers it, but offers classes in that area while you are there (very important!!!). In many ways, Planning school is like Architecture school in that some programs are known for their pedagogic trajectories (e.g., MIT, Harvard, Penn are design-oriented, USC is real-estate oriented, UCLA is a leftist theory-driven thinktank).

I think that its pretty hard to get everything you want in a planning school. I am currently a UP student at UCLA. Although the program was known in the 80's and 90's as the seedbed for the adored "L.A. School", I think UCLA is very weak on the design/physical planning aspects and strong on theory/policy analysis/regional-international development. As with other Urban Planning programs affliated with public institutions, UCLA's has succumbed to the maw of budget cuts.

As with any program, just research it, and make sure you can talk to current faculty members. An Urban Planning education is pretty standardized, whereever you go. Also, make sure that your program is AICP/ACSP-accredited (I am 100% sure the program at SUNY-Buffalo is).

Good luck!!!!

Apr 4, 05 11:10 am  · 
 · 
citizen

Smokety is correct, Turquoise. I don't know about SUNY's MUP, but research about particulars is very important. As said already, make sure they teach WHAT you want to learn (courses, faculty, areas of specialization) WHILE you will be there. Catalogs are famous for listing every course ever offered at the school in addition to every professor who's taught there since the 19th century. The very best thing you can do is to visit and speak with several students and faculty. Short of that, make phone calls and pin them down on specifics.

Apr 4, 05 1:41 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: