Archinect
anchor

Frank Gehry on The Simpsons

4arch

discuss.

Apr 3, 05 9:07 pm
db

fantastic. concert hall / prison -- what IS the difference really?

Apr 3, 05 10:30 pm  · 
 · 
rls

American Center in Paris is bankrupt in part by irresponsible architect in 1995, parodies himself on cartoon in 2005...real funny

Apr 3, 05 11:00 pm  · 
 · 
heterarch

it was unfortunate they chose gehry for the episode. having an architect on the show would have been some good pr for the profession if it had been almost anyone else. the episode just seemed to play off of and reinforce the public perception of contemporary architecture.
with that said, there were several interesting (and certainly entertaining) points made.
the more i think about it, the more it sort of hurts my feelings though.. am i being too sensitive? :)

Apr 4, 05 9:18 am  · 
 · 
4arch

I can see how it might be seen as a playing to the disdain for contemporary architecture that exists among average Joes but I can also see it as a more direct parody of the gimmickry and lack of conformance to conventional programmatic archetypes pervasive in Gehry’s work.

The writers there seem to be pretty informed and pretty specific in their references. There was also an Oz/Adebisi reference last night that, while probably more widely recognized than some of the Gehry references, is still over the heads of a lot of people.

Apr 4, 05 9:36 am  · 
 · 
guiggster

dear god. Someone post some lines for people who have no access to "real" tv

Apr 4, 05 9:37 am  · 
 · 
3ifs

did gehry record his own voice for the show?

Apr 4, 05 9:44 am  · 
 · 

Marge: Think Marge think. Culture... vulture... birds of prey... pray in a church... the father, son, and holy ghost... ghosts are scary... scary rhymes with gary... that's it, Architect Frank Gehry!

Apr 4, 05 9:46 am  · 
 · 
BigGoron

Yes it was really him.
I enjoyed the show, thought it was ironic as well like db said. I too noticed the Oz reference. I gotta get one of those hats.

Apr 4, 05 9:47 am  · 
 · 
Marcus Trimble

I have been looking for some screen captures from this episode to put up on my site. Anybody know where I can find some? It will probably be six months before Channel 10 gets around to showing it here in Australia...

Apr 4, 05 10:28 am  · 
 · 
rutger

Think Homer uploaded
this...
FOA is mentioned as the designer of Bilabao...Doh!

Apr 4, 05 10:47 am  · 
 · 
citizen

Don't you think the writers were just making fun of the sanctimonious, pseudo-intellectual b.s. that some architects throw around in their disdain for the public's "lack of taste"? (Choose from almost any thread here on Archinect; there are lots of examples.)

Snobby elites are fun to lampoon, let's face it.

Apr 4, 05 11:15 am  · 
 · 
silverlake

lets face it, gehry is the only one to connect w/ the public thru architecture in decades and decades.... that's not a bad thing.

even though they poked fun at him (like they usually do w/ their guests) i think their point was that there is a general lack of culture throughout america.

Apr 4, 05 12:29 pm  · 
 · 
e

and let's not forget the brashness and arrogance of those with culture.

Apr 4, 05 12:37 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: