Archinect
anchor

Grad School Final Decision...Where are you heading to?

dillup.

school: Rice
program: M.Arch. I opt. II
current locale: Cincinnati
undergrad: U. of Cincinnati - BS Arch.

Apr 16, 05 2:31 pm  · 
 · 
Nancy

school: columbia
program: MS aad
current locale: ithaca
undergrad: cornell-barch

Apr 16, 05 2:38 pm  · 
 · 
MMatt

Well, I haven't mailed my acceptance response yet, but I'm 85% certain that I've made my final decision.

school: SciArc
program: M.Arch 2
current locale: Chicago
undergrad: UIC - BArts in Arch

.mm

Apr 16, 05 2:48 pm  · 
 · 
Pimp Minister Pete Nice

School: Yale
Program: M.Arch 2
Current location: Cincinnati
Undergrad: B.Arch 05'

I haven't seen any other Yale M.Arch II's on here. If you are choosing to go there, like draftmonkey said, we should try to link up somehow and exchange e-mails.

Apr 16, 05 3:25 pm  · 
 · 
Luis Fraguada

Hi all, just stumbled on these forums. Pretty cool. I too have applied to many schools. I applied to seven in order to be able to chose from 2-3 . . . except, I got into ALL!

SCI-Arc M.Arch 2
Columbia M.Arch
Parsons School of Design M.Arch
Pratt School M.Arch
Bartlett M.Arch
Royal College of Art MA Architecture
Architectural Association DRL M.Arch

It was cool to go to London to interview with the Royal College and the AA. After a tough decision process (because I got some scholarships in the states), I have decided to attend the AA.

p.s. my undergrad was at University of Colorado Boulcer College of Architecture and Planning. Good luck to ALL!

Apr 16, 05 9:12 pm  · 
 · 
Luis Fraguada

sorry to double post right away but wanted to add . . .

Current locale: Boulder, CO

Question . . . anyone going to school in London?

peace

Apr 16, 05 9:29 pm  · 
 · 
re-evolve

school: sci-arc
program: M.Arch 2
current locale: Toronto

Apr 16, 05 9:30 pm  · 
 · 
apple79

school: uiuc
program: m.arch 3
current locale: chicago
undergrad: uiuc

Apr 16, 05 9:55 pm  · 
 · 
ehong

School: GSD
Program: MArch 1
Current Locale: Seoul, Korea

Apr 17, 05 3:19 am  · 
 · 
nervoussystem

hi curious_incident!

I remember you. That was a sort of weird scene with Toshiko there. It was bizarre how people kept asking her questions about her book and questions like "so harvard is the best isn't it?" except for rephrased 6-7 times

anyways post when you hear from the married guy. I ended up spending most of the time walking around with him so I am curious as to if he is going to MIT or GSD.

Apr 17, 05 8:23 am  · 
 · 
jenny4r

School: SCI-Arc
Program: MArch 1
Current Locale: Boston
Undergrad: BS Engineering '05

Look at that, my first post. Hi :)

Apr 17, 05 10:00 am  · 
 · 

sci-arc seems to be the popular choice on this thread. how many people does the m arch enroll there?

Apr 17, 05 11:39 am  · 
 · 
mpsyp

apple79> Has UIUC notified you of any fellowships yet? I was accepted but they've been dragging their feet on the financial aid...

Apr 17, 05 7:00 pm  · 
 · 
Guffman

School: Univ of Miami (FL)
Program: M.Arch (3 yr) + Masters in Suburb & Town Design
Current Locale: Detroit
1st Grad: MPhil in Planning, Growth & Regeneration: Cambridge (UK)
Undergrad: Philosophy, Politics & Econ: Notre Dame

Apr 17, 05 8:20 pm  · 
 · 
WonderK

Guffman, you like college, eh? :o)

Pimp Minister Pete.....I didn't think there were any BArchs left at UC...how many of you are there? Has it been difficult?

-emily

Apr 17, 05 9:27 pm  · 
 · 
pazdon

Jenny4r - i'm an engineer undergrad too, and im from new england, and i'll most likely be at sci-arc as well (havent committed yet), AND, my first name is also jenn.

i think we have un-earthed the preferred sci-arc student profile.

Apr 18, 05 1:37 am  · 
 · 
jenny4r

Pazdon - Whoa, parallel lives. If we both attend SCI-Arc the universe may implode. Being an optimist, I hope to see you there! Where do you go to school? I'm at Tufts.

Apr 18, 05 9:27 am  · 
 · 
Guffman

WonderK (Emily)- I figure I'll be a full-time grown-up soon enough. :)

Apr 18, 05 11:57 am  · 
 · 
WonderK

Guffman, I don't blame you....if I could go to college that much I would too! Being a grown-up is overrated :-P

Apr 18, 05 12:53 pm  · 
 · 
le bossman

bossman graduates in a week

just think about that, next year when you are in hell, i'll be sitting on a pile of gold.

Apr 18, 05 12:58 pm  · 
 · 
Pimp Minister Pete Nice

Wonder, there are about 16 left this year and one or two left next year.

Apr 18, 05 12:59 pm  · 
 · 
pazdon

Jenny4r - I went to carnegie mellon for civil, graduated in 2004. grew up in new hampshire and i was living there for a bit after school. are you goign to making meaning this summer?

the universe may indeed implode. but at the very least, we might confuse the heck out of people. youre not blonde and about 5'8" by any chance?

Apr 18, 05 3:28 pm  · 
 · 
jenny4r

Pazdon - Ha, no I am a 5'3" brunette, so it looks like our theory has some loopholes.

I'm unsure about the making + meaning program as of yet. I can't figure out if it is something that may be necessary and/or very beneficial, or if it's just a means of our spending more money. What do you think? Does anyone else know if it's worth it if you're about to enter grad school for 3 1/2 years anyway?

Apr 18, 05 7:33 pm  · 
 · 

Guffman--were you on a Rhodes?

Apr 18, 05 7:58 pm  · 
 · 
anotherquestion

i did M+M, thought it was fun, but did it to build a portfolio + think about attending school. if you dont have to, + have $$ constraints, it won't hurt you to skip.

Apr 19, 05 1:45 am  · 
 · 
ross

school: deferring to UT-Austin + Umich
program: M.Arch 1st prof.
locale: dallas
u-grad: umich

Apr 19, 05 8:58 am  · 
 · 
tinydancer

ross-what do you do in dallas? i'm in dallas too.

Apr 19, 05 8:59 am  · 
 · 
ross

tiny: I just switched jobs last week. I'll send you an email.

Apr 19, 05 9:04 am  · 
 · 
kazbot

school: gsd maud
currently: washington dc/princeton nj
undergrad: psu b.arch

ready to cause a little trouble. i hope there are some cool maud people out there. : )

Apr 19, 05 1:57 pm  · 
 · 
heller high water

School: Wash U in St. Louis
Program: M.Arch3
Current Locale: Wellington, NZ
Undergrad: Grinnell College, Physics

Apr 19, 05 6:24 pm  · 
 · 

kaxbot--you working on a degree right now?

Apr 19, 05 6:30 pm  · 
 · 
Guffman

Five: Naw, though I tried (for a Rhodes) and was dinged. The Rhodes is only applicable to that other British university, anyways, so I applied for various others (Gates, and departmental scholies) that were relevant for Cam and recieved some tuition relief through those channels. I did get a chance to meet the Rhodes kids - and yeah, was impressed by their sense of vocation and developed interests at age 22 (already published, founded organizations, helped build towns in the Third World, etc)

FWIW: Two of the most interesting archies at my old job (archie/real estate consulting firm in DC) were recent Cinny grads. They had nothing but great things to say about it.

Apr 19, 05 9:53 pm  · 
 · 
Guffman

"received" damn i worthless w/o spellcheck

Apr 19, 05 9:54 pm  · 
 · 
joed

so only one brave soul has chosen columbia's m.arch so far?

Apr 19, 05 10:25 pm  · 
 · 
ether

school: cranbrook
program: architecture
current locale: chicago
undergrad: auburn university

Apr 19, 05 10:33 pm  · 
 · 
curious_incident

nervous: So the man with the wife (henceforth known as TMWTF?) is headed to the GSD as well. We'll likely both be taking the required history of arch classes in August (offered by the GSD to fulfill the history pre-reqs) before fall semester starts.

About the scene with Toshiko, you're right, there were definitely some people who were *a little too excited* to be there. I personally think it's a good idea to take a good portion of what the faculty say at these open houses with a healthy dose of skepticism.

Apr 20, 05 12:05 am  · 
 · 
THREADS

school: GSD
program: MArch 1
undergrad: UIC, B.A Arch

It was between GSD, Rice, UCLA, Columbia, MIT.
this was the most difficult decision I have ever made.

In the end I brushed off what everyone was trying to tell me about the schools and let my gut directed by my heart fueled by my head make the final call.

Apr 20, 05 2:05 am  · 
 · 
pazdon

joed - i'm waitlisted. still interested in they call me. are you going?

Apr 20, 05 2:53 am  · 
 · 
nervoussystem

curious_incident: neat I thought for sure he was heading to MIT. I will see you guys in the post-ren to just yesterday history class

Apr 20, 05 7:50 am  · 
 · 
jenny4r

anotherquestion - Thanks for the perspective on the M+M program. I don't think I'm going to do it, Pazdon...

Apr 20, 05 9:18 am  · 
 · 
waterbug

nervoussytem and curious_incident: I don't really read this discussion group, but was avoiding some work that I have been procrastinating on and... Suddenly I discover that you guys are talking about me. I'm not sure how I feel about being TMWTW. Anyway, I might have gone to MIT but it came down to funding. For some reason MIT didn't offer me anything. Although I liked the program a lot it just seemed stupid to go without any tuition offset. Nervous, I thought you were going to end up at MIT too. I guess I'll see you two in the history classes. I'm a little bit bugged that I have to take both of them. I took one of the two core history classes at Columbia (Ken Frampton's modern arch.) last spring and it doesn't count for anything at GSD.

Apr 20, 05 11:25 am  · 
 · 
heterarch

kenny framp's not credible at the gsd?! that's strange and funny. well, not funny for you since you don't get credit for it.. but i'd assume at least that it was a good class and that you're a better person for having taken it. :)

Apr 20, 05 11:41 am  · 
 · 
curious_incident

threads: Right on. I'm glad that decision is over with.

nervous: Yep. See you in August!

waterbug: Well, not wanting to post your name publicly, I had to come up with something in the interim. But, you can henceforth be known as...waterbug! I'm actually still waiting to see if the GSD is going to accept my art history classes (western, modern, asian, including architecure, from my undergrad BFA days), but I'm almost certain they won't. I was bummed at first too, but it's at least susbstantially cheaper than having to take them where I'm at now.

Apr 20, 05 12:27 pm  · 
 · 
joed

pazdon - i'm finishing up my second year at columbia's m.arch. good luck w/ the wait list.

Apr 20, 05 12:39 pm  · 
 · 
simian

school: Columbia
program: MArch 1
undergrad: Berkeley, B.A. Arch

Apr 20, 05 12:54 pm  · 
 · 
nervoussystem

i got credit for one of the gsd history classes but not the other based on a syllabus I submitted from an MIT arch history course.

waterbug: I'm surprised you didn't get money from MIT! If I was going on money (and my gut reaction) I would have gone to MIT.

I'm signing a lease tomorrow for a 4 bedroom apartment .5 miles from the GSD. yikes!

Apr 20, 05 3:33 pm  · 
 · 
heterarch

joed: based on my understanding of the program, i'll be seeing you next fall (msaad). :) since you're there already, can you give us a little insight in to what to expect next year?

Apr 20, 05 4:36 pm  · 
 · 
raji

a whole bunch of work. stress.

Apr 20, 05 4:37 pm  · 
 · 
heterarch

mmmmm... stress. tasty, poisonous, irresistable stress.

Apr 20, 05 5:38 pm  · 
 · 
joed

i think raji's got it pretty much summed up. muahaha >:)

Apr 20, 05 5:57 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: