Archinect
anchor

Case Study Houses

BigAaron

Aside from just googling all day, does anybody know any good sources of information (websites, books, periodicals) regarding the case study houses? I am specifically looking for the remaining houses, and I am tying to avoid the large book of the entire case study project.

Mar 31, 05 11:37 am
A Center for Ants?

i've looked before and it's hard to find good detailed info...
greatbuildings.com has a few of them but not many.

i know you're not into the large book but Esther McCoy wrote a good one that's published by Hennessey and Ingalls. it'll probably be your best bet despite $$$. other than that, try finding the architects of the buildings you're interested in and looking for their monographs and such.

Mar 31, 05 1:34 pm  · 
 · 
Evan Geisler

Well, besides the Taschen book, there is the MOCA publication Blueprints For Modrn Living, and the Esther McCoy book, Case Study Houses. buy them both

Mar 31, 05 1:35 pm  · 
 · 
pencrush

That taschen book is awesome.. If you're avoiding it for cost reasons, you might try your local library. Depending on the size of the city you live in, they might have a copy. Or ask friends if their office has a copy..

Mar 31, 05 3:04 pm  · 
 · 

There's a book on Pierre Koenig by James Steele that covers the ones the Pierre did (including the most famous, #22)

Mar 31, 05 3:32 pm  · 
 · 
joed

well, the case study program was hosted by and featured in arts and architecture magazine, so you could try to pick up a few old issues. there are occasionally some for sale on e-bay.

Mar 31, 05 7:00 pm  · 
 · 
BigAaron

thank joed, i'll check on those.

Mar 31, 05 8:10 pm  · 
 · 
bothands

there's also a couple of monographs on Craig Elwood, with his couple of Case Study Houses; and a bunch just on the Eames House, plus a book reprinting much of Arts & Architecture magazine (by John Entenza. the Case Study pgram founder)...

Apr 1, 05 12:08 pm  · 
 · 
badass japanese cookie

my friend grew up in one next door to dion neutra. he was the nightmare neighbor for most of their lives.

Apr 2, 05 11:59 am  · 
 · 
BigAaron

thank you, that really helps my research

Apr 2, 05 12:21 pm  · 
 · 
raji

seriously, i'm so tried of these threds being populated by people that change the subject of the threads.
about your topic, John Entenza published a book about the CSH prior to his death. This book should have all that you need.

Apr 2, 05 12:48 pm  · 
 · 

chill, people. one aside does not a thread hijacking make. if you had gotten nothing else, THEN maybe your protests would be understandable. lateral was just making conversation...welcome to archinect.

Apr 2, 05 1:04 pm  · 
 · 
too degrading

If you have a copy of Guide to Architecture in Southern California by Winter and Gebhard, you can locate many of these houses or (sadly in many cases) find out what was built in their place. My favorite horrow show is the Entenza house (Eames with Saarinen) accross the meadow from the Eames house that was f'upd by a montrosity by Barry Berkus. That guy should really stop designing or only work in Rancho Mirage. I think it was Craig Hodgett who descecrated a Gregory Ain's Case Study House and was ripped a new one by none other than Esther herself. Ah, gossip and history.

Apr 2, 05 1:43 pm  · 
 · 
badass japanese cookie

hey big boy Aaron with two 'a's, why don't you check out the organization dion neutra runs at neutra.org

sorry- you'll have to cut and paste that URL by yourself. hope it's not too much work.

Apr 2, 05 5:23 pm  · 
 · 
too degrading

nice be-atch slap lateral. grrr.

Apr 2, 05 9:01 pm  · 
 · 
citizen

Um... you don't have to "google all day." Just look in an online library catalog, go to the library, and... voila! Right there on the shelves!

Apr 4, 05 7:27 pm  · 
 · 
BigAaron

yeah, i didn't need to start a thread to get that kind of information

Apr 4, 05 8:10 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: