Archinect
anchor

NaaB Matters

redhead

a lot of ppl talk about naab , can someone tell me how important to get in to a naab affliated grad studies, im an aspiring undergrad. student applying for graduate schools, so should i follow the naab listed 113 schools of architecture for graduations as the best options or ives are the best , when u r out for hunting the job?

Mar 31, 05 7:00 am
A

It's a little early in the morning for me but I can't for the life of me remember what the difference is between the NAAB and the NCARB

Mar 31, 05 8:46 am  · 
 · 

ncarb has to do with registration. naab is the organization that reviews and accredits architecture schools.

if your school is not naab accredited - or if your specific degree within the school is not accredited - there may be some question about whether you're recognized by ncarb as eligible for idp and then the registration exams.

Mar 31, 05 8:50 am  · 
 · 
hannitect

Yes, and when you got a non-NAAB accredited degree, and try to get a NCARB certificate, NCARB will ask you to go through EESA (Education Evaluation service for Architect) by NAAB to see if your educational background is really up to NAAB standard or not. If yes, fine, problem solved; if Not, and if you are still trying to seek for NCARB certificate, then you will be needed to go back to school (NAAB accredited) to take courses to make up the credits you need for that standard, regardless what kind of advanced degree you've already have !!!

EESA - http://www.naab.org/information2657/information_show.htm?doc_id=46653

Mar 31, 05 10:10 am  · 
 · 
A

I knew they went hand in hand in some manner. At least I knew there was a reason why I went to a NAAB arch school.

Mar 31, 05 11:06 am  · 
 · 
Bloopox

EESA evaluation is more appropriate for a foreign degree holder.

If you don't have an NAAB accredited B.Arch degree then it's important that your M.Arch be from an NAAB-accredited program. There are some states that will still allow registration without an accredited degree - though your internship would then be longer (anywhere from 5 to 13 years depending on the state.) The biggest problem though is that you'll have trouble getting reciprocity in other states. More than half of all states now require an NCARB certificate as the sole means of obtaining reciprocal registration in other states. It is virtually impossible these days to get an NCARB certificate with only a degree from an unaccredited US school - the only exceptions left these days apply mainly to older people who have been practicing for many years as principals/owners of their own firms.

If you already have an accredited B.Arch then an unacredited M.Arch is ok - in fact "Post Pro" M.Arch programs in the US are not generally accredited by NAAB, even when they exist side by side in schools with accredited first-professional M.Arch programs.

As for which of the accredited schools are "best" - well there are plenty of other threads on this forum about that. It all depends on what you are looking for. Yes, you should look for an accredited school. All of the so-called top-ranked programs (the Ivies et al) are accredited except for the new 3-year M.Arch program at Cornell - and even that should have accreditation within a few years. There aren't really that many unaccredited architecture programs in the US - there's Cranbrook, Taliesin, etc. which are usually just options for those who already have accredited degrees.

Mar 31, 05 12:32 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: