Archinect
anchor

how much of a salary difference is there really...

ScottMSchultz

if you go to an ivy or another grad school? I would assume it would be easier to get a job out of school coming out of an ivy but will the salary be that different?

Mar 29, 05 6:36 pm
pencrush

I think there was a thread about this earlier.. I searched but couldn't find it.. I can't imagine any firm where the school you went to would make any difference about your salary. Some might consider you a better candidate for the job, but I doubt they would pay you any more money. Salary is generally based on skillset and experience level.

It's kind of like nobody cares what you made on your SAT after you get into college.

Mar 29, 05 6:41 pm  · 
 · 
Janosh

Not a lick of difference, honestly. For every firm that prefers Yalies over others, there is a firm that thinks GSD graduates have their heads up their poopers.

Mar 30, 05 12:43 am  · 
 · 

I'm not sure about the salaries but if you want to become a working architect IDP and becoming licensed is what you should focus on. I think firms base their prestige off of how many licensed architects they have...not if you have a college degree..because everyone has one

Mar 30, 05 12:59 am  · 
 · 
MMatt

Don't look at grad school as an investment into you starting salary. Really, it's not about that. It's about improving yourself in new surroundings with new peers and new professors pushing you along.

If there are professor who interest you at St. Copious of Bumblefuck University and a studio culture that you really dig, then you're going to get more out of the experience than trying to cram yourself into a Yale yachting jacket. And the more you get out of it, the more complete your portfolio will be and the more confident and clear you will be in your interview. And maybe that'll boost your pay. Who knows?

.mm

Mar 30, 05 1:00 am  · 
 · 
Shellaby

One thing that the Ivy's seem to offer in terms of career advancement is powerful networking.

Mar 30, 05 10:09 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: