Archinect
anchor

Do you think that architecture is more valued than before?

piero1910

I think that Architecture is more seen than ever. A lot of people travel just to see architecture in a city, such as Venice. Right now, more and more people travel to see and appreciate. Even when some old cities were built, people did not appreciate the architecture of those cities as today.  So I want to know what your opinion is about it. I also know that some people would say that architecture is not more valued or appreciated because architects don’t have good salaries yet, but I think that architects will have better salaries in the future because people are starting to understand that architecture is important. I also have another question for you. Are architects more necessary than ever? 

Aug 13, 11 9:58 pm
grid

Starchitecture, not Architecture

Aug 13, 11 10:13 pm  · 
 · 

Traditional architecture developed over centuries to deal with local climate and available resources has largely been abandonded in favor of ego, economic opportunism and technology that is often dehumanizing, faulty, unproven, resource intense or just plain destructive.

Aug 13, 11 10:45 pm  · 
 · 
remus + romulus

Just look at the employment numbers.  There you go.

Aug 14, 11 12:10 am  · 
 · 
piero1910

But that is a different reason. The employment rates are due to the recession, and it is not because people are losing their interest for architecture. Economical reasons are completely different. When I talk about if architecture is more valued is that people appreciate more the architecture. It is not that people do not like architecture for economical reasons. 

Aug 14, 11 2:27 am  · 
 · 
remus + romulus

You used the word "valued" so I think that implies economy. But I get what you are trying to say.  And yet why are architects only designing 2% of all new homes in the United States (re: Bryan Bell: Good Design, Good Deeds)?  If architecture was so appreciated, perhaps we'd be designing more.  I wouldn't factor out economy or recession all together.  I believe it's all quite connected.  

One question: How are people "starting" to understand that architecture is important?

Aug 14, 11 2:40 am  · 
 · 

And yet why are architects only designing 2% of all new homes in the United States

Except that architects are generally designing over 90% of commercial, institutional and government buildings. Buildings that are mostly hyper-inflated structures that consist of nothing but large rooms and hallways.

They practically draw themselves! Six to eight percent design fee for $100-a-square-foot detailed house is crap compared to $250-a-square-foot mostly empty office building.

Comparing modernism to the "Regime Anciene"  is a relatively futile pursuit. Yesteryear's elites were generally barred from participating in the regular economy and only gained income and status through real estate development. A successful aristocrat's domain was a prosperous one— dead unproductive people don't pay rent or taxes. And you need those swollen tax rolls to win favor with the monarch!

Aug 14, 11 2:53 am  · 
 · 
piero1910

However, are architects more necessary than ever? This Interview with Paul Goldberger discusses this point: http://bigthink.com/ideas/21033

Of course, some people would say that the profession is not in a good state due to the recession. 

Aug 14, 11 11:52 am  · 
 · 
metal

developer-architect-contractors is what we need

we can call them "master builders"

Aug 14, 11 1:14 pm  · 
 · 
trace™

Clearly, being an architect-developer is a solution to everything!

I do think architecture, on the upper-elite level, is more valued than in the past.  Thanks to Lexus ads and what not, everyone can see the crazy stuff out there.

That's a good thing, I think (mostly because I personally like more avant garde architecture).   There are more modern/contemporary developments these days, it seems, although I'd rate most as a "C+" in terms of design quality.

Unfortunately, the US is still ages behind the rest of the world, in overall appreciation of anything better.

Aug 14, 11 4:19 pm  · 
 · 

People don't travel to Venice to see the architecture.  They travel to see its historic culture, which is in strong ways encapsulated within its existing architecture.

I have a hard time believing that anything we are building now will be anything that people of the future will want to see, even if it survives that long.

Aug 14, 11 8:06 pm  · 
 · 

most of the built environment was crap 500 years ago too.  not sure interest has increased much, nor have tasted become much more refined, since then.

i've got thousands of pictures that i didn't take of the centuries ol streets of milan and genoa that i can't show you, cuz it was not worth photographing and probably would be better off torn down ( ! ).  ditto for london. 

architecture is not that important in the scheme of things.  like donna says people are mostly interested in other people, not so much in the buildings. planning maybe makes a difference in daily lives, but requires even less interest to work than archtiecture does.

does it matter if people are more interested in architecture?

Aug 14, 11 9:41 pm  · 
 · 
piero1910

Of course, people do not just travel for architecture, but architecture is part of their culture too because it is something that represents them. I just have a question for you. If architecture is not the reason why people travel. Why has Dubai increased their number of tourists in the last years? And, Why do people travel to Cambodia only to see the Angkor Wat? Because there's nothing interesting in that culture that you would like to see. In my opinion, it matters if people care about architecture because you do not want to work hard to do something which people would notice. 

Aug 15, 11 2:57 am  · 
 · 

piero1910

"And, Why do people travel to Cambodia only to see the Angkor Wat? Because there's nothing interesting in that culture that you would like to see. "

Ummm really? The only thing that makes Cambodia interesting is Angkor Wat? Nothing else redeemable about their culture?

Aug 15, 11 8:21 am  · 
 · 
piero1910

Maybe, I disparaged too much their culture but Angkor Wat is one of the main reasons why people go to Cambodia. Of course, there are other reasons too. 

Aug 15, 11 11:41 am  · 
 · 
Rusty!

piero, this might not be one of your dumber questions. Well done! Practice makes perfect.

The concept of tourism is not new but it does take off with advent of cars, trains and planes. Worker rights movements created better working conditions which lead to concepts such as vacation/leisure time, and middle class (disposable income). Need for support facilities also skyrockets in the middle of 20th century. Everything from hospitality to transportation infrastructure. 

When people travel, architecture may not be the focal point of their interest, but architecture does play a significant role. In some cases (like Vegas) the concept of 'branded environment' takes over. Design becomes a critical component.

So yes, any piece of architecture that is up today will have a better chance of being seen by as many people as possible than ever before. 

"Are architects more necessary than ever?"

Wrong question. There will always be a need for buildings, especially when there are 7 billion monkeys out there. Who designs them, or of what quality they are, is a completely different topic. 

Bonus: As the cost of transportation skyrockets, and as middle classes continue to struggle, the concept of tourism may get redefined. Focus on localized destinations is already happening. Coney Island wants your $10 vacation budget.

Aug 15, 11 12:27 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: