Archinect
anchor

Linux-based design machine

Hi,

I'm wondering if anyone has tried or is currently running a Linux-based system for CAD/CAM/other design-related purposes. What are the best programs to use, and is it actually more stable than Windows or Mac?

Mar 27, 05 10:25 pm
David Zeibin

The only thing I've seen someone do this with is Maya.

Probably more stable, sure, but the software library is a tad, um, lacking. Also, in terms of stability, it's usually the apps you're using that cause problems, more so than the operating system. As an example, Mac OS X is pretty rock solid, but apps still crash under it. Point is, no matter how good the OS is, you still lose work now and then because of third-party software bugs.

(This, by the way, is Microsoft's excuse for their operating system: it's not us, it's third-party developers who make buggy software.)

As for CAM, I've only ever seen Windows or proprietary software systems.

Mar 28, 05 1:52 am  · 
 · 

Linux is still for hobbyists, unfortunately, as far as these applications. Still, may as well try breaking off a piece of the massive hard drives machines come with these days and try it on the weekends.

Mar 28, 05 9:40 pm  · 
 · 
Nell Lime

Linux is rather stable... just think of it, Mac OSX is based in Linux. That's why with programs like X11 you can run linux. I don't though know of any architectural programs for linux. I only use one program right now for it, Open Office.

Mar 28, 05 10:50 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: