Archinect
anchor

Business Skills

JeffS

Which of you feel you learned your good business tactics somewhat from school (architecture programs or business minors), and which feel that you only learned it from experience?

Mar 27, 05 8:26 pm
David Cuthbert

bit of both

a lot from work, internship whilst still in school

Mar 27, 05 8:34 pm  · 
 · 

haven't learned them yet

Mar 27, 05 8:38 pm  · 
 · 
David Cuthbert

u will

Mar 27, 05 8:52 pm  · 
 · 
vado retro

i learned all of mine from the apprentice.

Mar 27, 05 10:59 pm  · 
 · 
JeffS

So you got implants and wear skimpy suits to work every day?

Mar 27, 05 11:03 pm  · 
 · 
trace™

some in school, some in experience, some in books

Mar 28, 05 4:13 pm  · 
 · 

My undergrad degree is in business economics, and I start my MArch in june. I'll let you all know how that combo works out, but I'm very confident.

Mar 28, 05 9:37 pm  · 
 · 
David Cuthbert

well my parents expect me to get a MBA despite already having my M.Arch - they say its a matter of principle

Mar 29, 05 9:50 am  · 
 · 
A

I got a business minor and have found it very helpful. In my opinion all architecture students should be required to take classes like HR Management. Since so many of us will be running a firm someday it only makes sense to have some business "book" knowledge.

I'm amazed at how many large firms are literally run by people with nothing more than a BArch or March. Major comapanies almost always require engineers to get their MBA's before getting into upper management. I'm not sure why large architecture firms don't think the same.

Mar 29, 05 11:17 am  · 
 · 

to be honest, I grew up in a family where my parents were reasonably high up in the office food chain, and talked business all the time at home, and I use the lessons I learned from them a lot more than I use anything I learned in pro-practice class. I'd say my on the job experience is finally getting to where it ties with my upbringing for relevancy to business knowledge.

Mar 29, 05 12:27 pm  · 
 · 
David Cuthbert

well A most grad schools have a management co-efficient to them. I know i had 4 semesters of it. From construction management to practice management- but it only took me so far. it took me being in the firing line to put those theories to the test and came out with my brand of solutions. I would like to take an mba, I know oxford was looking at doing one just for those within construction fields (similar to Whartons Emba)

Mar 29, 05 6:09 pm  · 
 · 
trace™

most grad schools have a management co-effecient to them? Really? None of the schools I looked at had any beyond a rudimentary professional practice class or two, and they were all top 10 or top five schools.

Nobody should rely on the arch degree for business advice, go outside to the business school or construction management, if there is one.

I've learned most from books and hands on experience. Just beginning, so lots to learn, but if you find the right books it's basically learning from the best, whereas classes, most likely, will not be taught by hugely successful professors (unless it's at the business school, perhaps).

Mar 30, 05 11:06 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: