Archinect
anchor

April Fool's Jokes?

Mum

I have a few projects under construction with contractors who have a good sense of humor. Does anyone have any good ideas for April Fool's jokes?

I was thinking about a stop work order for gnome abatement or a change order for skyhooks - kind of lame though. I'm sure you guys have some better (and legal) ideas!

Mar 27, 05 11:56 am
Nell Lime

It would be funny -- send them a danty tea party

Mar 27, 05 5:37 pm  · 
 · 
Mum

A what?

Mar 27, 05 6:46 pm  · 
 · 
JeffS

Yeah, I'd go danty tea party

Mar 28, 05 12:06 am  · 
 · 
Bula

Hmmm...so many possibilities….
Don’t try this unless you’re tight with your super & const. manager:

Call up the super and make up some MAJOR construction miss, such as..."Jim...the building appears to be incorrectly located! You DID receive Bulletin # 5 showing the revised location, right?!? We moved the building 20' away due to a major easement!!!!".... Then say you are going to get him fired for being so incompetent. If you want to push it even farther, call the construction manager and have him pretend fire him over the phone. Then follow up with the "you've been punked" call to your super. ;)

Mar 28, 05 12:51 am  · 
 · 
el jeffe

Not applicable to your situation, but I used to do this to the whoever was the newest employee on the first. Take a screen snapshot of the desktop, open in Photoshop, rotate 180, hide the pallettes. Always good for a few laughs...

Mar 28, 05 10:00 am  · 
 · 
dia

Same as El Jeffe, but set as wall paper and move all existing icons to one folder on the desktop and place it where it doesnt interfere with the dummy icons. Hilarious!

Also, using autocomplete in Word is always a doozy...

Mar 28, 05 5:04 pm  · 
 · 
Manteno_Montenegro

A rusty butcher knife, and an adbsurd amount of realistic looking fake blood could be excellent ingredients for fun any time, any place.

Mar 28, 05 5:58 pm  · 
 · 
David Cuthbert

in studio i did the supergluing of the xacto blades - really funny because april fools usually coinciding with the final prep for final projects.

also the gluing of the mechanical pencil too
also change the locks to the studio - at UT this almost got the kid booted apparently interfering with school property

Mar 28, 05 5:59 pm  · 
 · 
3ifs

to further the el jeffe/diabase concept...

if you snap a screenshop of the desktop and open in photoshop, save it as a jpeg and set it as the desktop. then hide the taskbar and right click on the desktop > arange icons by > uncheck 'show desktop icons'.

it will take them a while to figure it out... whats best is rebooting will do nothing!

Mar 29, 05 12:46 pm  · 
 · 
3ifs

on another note, i think this year i am going to encase my coworkers stapler in jello, ala 'the office.'

Mar 29, 05 12:47 pm  · 
 · 
ross

another fun trick for connected computing stations:

take all the mouse connections and plug them into different computers.

Mar 29, 05 1:46 pm  · 
 · 
duke19_98

if you have office chairs that you can spin the seat off of, then stick a few raw shrimp down the tube of a coworkers chair and spin the seat back on.

Mar 29, 05 1:47 pm  · 
 · 
el jeffe

ross's reminds me that i once swapped four keys on my podmate's keyboard. That was great - I had him convinced he had a virus or his registry was whacked. Only works for hunt and peck typists though...

Mar 29, 05 3:40 pm  · 
 · 
Manteno_Montenegro

Buy one of these, rig it so that the "pregnant" color is visible. Show it to the contractor and just say, "Look. Look at what I did."

The moment will be so incredibly awkward, no one will know what to say.

Mar 29, 05 6:01 pm  · 
 · 
Mum

Hmm. I wonder if it's possible to encase a construction trailer in Jello.

Mar 29, 05 6:41 pm  · 
 · 
Cloutier

i like monteno's idea. hehe

Mar 29, 05 7:04 pm  · 
 · 
Dazed and Confused

Eat beef and drink micro-brewed dark beer on Mar-31. Then have a pile of oats and a hard-boiled egg the next morning. You can't go wrong with that kind of firepower behind you. April fools is all you baby!

Mar 29, 05 7:34 pm  · 
 · 
b3tadine[sutures]

classic Dazed, i will try it!

Mar 29, 05 10:32 pm  · 
 · 
Gotan

Mouhahah!!
As a april's fool pilot preparation trick...
I just tried that trick of JEffe on a co-worker who was away

Take a screen snapshot of the desktop, open in Photoshop, rotate 180, hide the pallettes. Always good for a few laughs...
then set as Desktop background...

I asked him one hour after how he did it...
he told me he didn't found out right away and he tried the Ctrl-Al-Del and even rebooted!!
Incredible trick!

I recruited him and on April 1st we will do a massive desktop changeover!!

thanks

Mar 30, 05 1:11 pm  · 
 · 
mdler

drafting triangle to the belt sander, but only slightly...

Mar 30, 05 1:20 pm  · 
 · 
aeaa

i have been thinking about going to my boss's and giving them my two weeks and walking away. my office is only 5 people so they would freak!! unfortunately they will both be overseas on the 1st. SUCKS!!

Mar 30, 05 2:35 pm  · 
 · 
Organic9

aeaa

That has too many opportunities to backfire.

Mar 30, 05 2:43 pm  · 
 · 
Crumpets

I'd love to change the "hold" music over the phone system. Currently we have some kind of "pleasant moods" cd or whatever. It'd be funny changing that to an early NWA cd. Of course, with my luck, I'd probably get fired, so no tricks for me....

Mar 30, 05 2:46 pm  · 
 · 
Gotan

The other one,
one of my co-workers has his desk filled of pictures of his baby.
His Screensaver is a ''diaporama'' of DA' Baby in diapers, smiling, snoozing,etc...
His desktop background is a mosaic of various pictures of DA' baby in various stages of development...

I think I will hit his desktop and replace the pictures with another baby non caucasian this time...and then I''ll wait.

Mar 30, 05 3:28 pm  · 
 · 
e909

if you're going to hide icons & taskbar, regedit out the mouse menu, why not give your victim something nicer wallpaper to look at?

or

http://www.telesubjektiv.at/nonsense/publicbluescreens/bigimages/bsod_00.jpg

and don't forget to plug a hidden keyboard and mouse into the case, leaving the usual hardware disconnected.

you could also substitute a 'scary' image for the win splash. a blue screen with chineese haker engrish text:
_____kÊÊÑkÆHñ !! yor windew is my !!!! kÊÊÑkÆHñ !!___

open the case. see if you can disconnect some leads to the power buttons.

put a script in tasks. runs in background, calls 911 on the auto-dialer or fax program.

is that nasty enough yet?

PS. i'll be back in a few hours, some huge bulky mess jammed my disposal so bad, i've got to go out and buy a replacement.

Mar 30, 05 7:42 pm  · 
 · 
proFuse

tape five or six sheets of all black paper end to end and loop it through the fax machine. Send it after hours.

Mar 30, 05 8:27 pm  · 
 · 
e909

could be more reliable to schedule software fax to do your faxes of "673 pages negative space" (it's art). more reliable if the computer is reliable, not one of the computers described here.

Mar 31, 05 4:29 am  · 
 · 
Gotan

MOuhahahahaahah!!!!! More More !! More!!

Mar 31, 05 10:49 am  · 
 · 
Ms Beary
prank ideas

some of these are really funny

Mar 31, 05 10:35 pm  · 
 · 
doberman

biggest joke of them all: it's my birthday today. i hate birthdays...

Apr 1, 05 7:15 am  · 
 · 
Mum

I'll never click on a link that says "this page" again! That was really annoying, but clever!

Apr 1, 05 7:19 am  · 
 · 
Ms Beary

I decorated the men's room with fancy soaps, lotions, candles, potpourri, a music box, a wallpaper border above the urinal and a kids book about farting.

I also switched the administrative assissistant's grandkids photos with my niece and nephew's photos who are half black. She might not take that so well....

I put really cheesy old coffee table books on the CEO's coffee table about "How to do your own bathroom remodel" He usually has a fancy architecture coffee table book.

I wrote a few fake appointments in someone's calender for April.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Wanted to hide some fake reptiles amongst someone's papers but didn't get my hands on any.

Apr 1, 05 8:47 am  · 
 · 
Ms Beary

uh-oh. someone called security because there is "vandalism" in the men's restroom....

Apr 1, 05 11:32 am  · 
 · 
Ms Beary

Mum, I thought of it too late, but you can get butt crack spackle for your contractor. I have seen it in gag catalogs. Or you can make your own label and stick it on a bucket of spackle.

Apr 1, 05 12:00 pm  · 
 · 
David Brent

1. Take a jar of chunky peanut butter.
2. Fill your ass crack with it.
3. In the middle of the office announce that you had an accident.
4. Reach into your pants, pull out a huge handful of peanut butter.
5. Lick your hand clean, remarking on taste and texture.

Apr 1, 05 3:52 pm  · 
 · 
Mum

Strawbeary and David, I guess I should have said "tasteful" too. Ooh, bad pun.

Apr 1, 05 3:54 pm  · 
 · 
liberty bell

Strawbeary, keep us posted if you get in trouble over the men's room redecoration - I love it...

Apr 1, 05 9:57 pm  · 
 · 
siggers

I told all my classmates and put up a poster announcing that the concrete stairs in the entrance hallway at Strathclyde architecture despartment are being replaced with ecalators, and plenty of them have fallen for it HA!

The poster was as follows:
"DURING THE EASTER HOLIDAY,
THE REMOVAL OF THE MAIN
STAIRS WILL TAKE PLACE.
THEY ARE TO BE REPLACED WITH
ESCALATORS, THE DESIGN OF
WHICH IS TO BE AN OPEN
COMPETITION AMONG STUDENTS.
CHECK YOUR NOTICEBOARDS FOR
DETAILS. "

with in small text
"CONTRACTORS: LOOF LIRPA ESCALATORS"

:-D

Apr 2, 05 8:35 am  · 
 · 
siggers

*sigh*

*escalators and *department !

Apr 2, 05 8:36 am  · 
 · 
SPELLING BEE CHAMPION

Nell Lime ... it's "dainty", not "danty"

Apr 2, 05 12:18 pm  · 
 · 
3ifs

all in favor of banning SPELLING BEE CHAMPION say aye.

Apr 2, 05 6:57 pm  · 
 · 
siggers

aye

lol

Apr 2, 05 7:03 pm  · 
 · 
too degrading

Spelling Bee Champion rokcs! We can paraphrase him/her! it's "Dante", not "danty".... Hey, maybe I can become "Puncutation Prick" and torture more ignorant hicks. Or archi-ticks.

I see some problems with the B's last post. Quick! To the Strunk and White, Batman!

Apr 2, 05 9:20 pm  · 
 · 
Dazed and Confused

You punk ass bitches have way too much time on your hands

Apr 2, 05 9:24 pm  · 
 · 
LenaV

If I'm spelling anything to a stranger over the phone, I'd use really explicit or random anatomical words to emphasize the letters in the word I'm spelling...as in:

L as in labia, F as in foreskin. . .
then see how fast they hang up.

Apr 3, 05 1:53 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: