Archinect
anchor

theme park

naya

hey check out the followings. i m doing this project as my thesis design project. just go to the link and check out the details.

http://www.vibrantgujarat.com/Proposal_Tourism_4.html

FOR the kind information the area requirements of the project is not decided by the govt.. so can anyone help me out in finding the similar case studies to decide the areas, and help me out in deciding the image of such a project.

Mar 27, 05 5:00 am
naya

please some help!!!!!

Apr 1, 05 8:08 am  · 
 · 

Theme parks are tough - primarily because of the necessity of a 'theme'. Simple amusement parks, like those that existed in many cities across the U.S. in the 40s>60s offered a more wide-open opportunity for developing your own architectural themes/expression.

The current theme park approach in the U.S. seems to be in line with the brief that you linked us to: re-presentation/stereotyping of a culture for the purposes of 'education'. Examples, again in the States, include:

Epcot Center (which you should look at) - an expansion of the themes of the ever-popular Small World ride into a much more self-conscious multi-cultural learning environment. Cartoonish presentations of cultures from around the world all within walking distance and with lots of opportunities to buy sodas and souvenirs! For many Americans, unfortunately, this will be the sum total of their understandings of the various cultures on display - and they won't think that's a problem.

Busch Gardens - Several of these across the U.S., running a bunch of themes parallel. The central one, often, is German culture, in the form of a big Oktoberfest section. While this is still cartoon-y, it's not dissimilar from the way Germans themselves often present their culture - or at least the way Munich and other Bavarian cities have nurtured their tourist economies.

Six Flags - Also several of these around the U.S. These parks actually have very little thematic pretensions. Unfortunately, they have nothing at all which holds them together or suggests an image, an order, or anything else. They're merely a collection of 'attractions' connected by large expanses of concrete.

Personally, if you want to take this seriously as a thesis, I think you'll need to challenge the brief - bring a more sophisticated translation of 'Indian culture' as a theme than any of the standard fare that we see in most theme parks.

Sorry - I don't know about technical requirements or spatial needs. Would think that there are trade-specific standards out there if you run a web search. There is a whole (non-architect) industry built around theme/amusement park design.

Apr 1, 05 9:02 am  · 
 · 
Ms Beary

Roller Coaster Tycoon.

Apr 1, 05 9:10 am  · 
 · 
Ms Beary

I play that on my computer a lot.

Apr 1, 05 9:10 am  · 
 · 
vado retro

roller coaster!
of love.
say what???

Apr 1, 05 10:44 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: