Archinect
anchor

Interview Dress

harveylamar

Was wondering what people were wearing for job interviews out there. please specify large firm, small firm, design firm, corporate firm, etc.

Ut Austin's architecture school career website says a blue suit and white shirt. I find this completely amusing. Doesn't this seem like complete suicide?

Mar 27, 05 2:12 am
veuxdeux

jury attire is fine, blue suit and white shirt? try and look around the office before you go, scoiut it out check out the web site and see if they show any shots of people in the office.

Mar 27, 05 2:26 am  · 
 · 
harveylamar

yeah...thanks

Mar 27, 05 2:41 am  · 
 · 
siggers

If you're going to wear a dress, go for long and sassy.

Mar 27, 05 7:30 am  · 
 · 
Nell Lime

I would think what you would wear for a studio review.

Mar 27, 05 9:25 am  · 
 · 
siggers

and then wash it with waaaay too much washing powder, turn it inside out, and put it on, along with an insane grin!

Mar 27, 05 9:41 am  · 
 · 
alphanumericcha

Generically - Any current suite style you would find at S&K or the like if you are short on cash.
or
If you absolutely know the culture of the firm you are interviewing with then do as they do. (you should not interview with them if you are not comfortable in those particular clothes)
or
If you have the money, go for it, express yourself with the finest example of what you would like to work in.

Dress well and be respectful during the interview.

Your manner tells an employer a lot. Showing respect and a positive attitude sends signals that you will probably be accepted by the existing "family". For a large firm with a studio structure, or small to medium sized firms - good work is all about translating talent to paper and only people can do this - and these people need to be able to get along. This attitude may only be guessed at during an interview so present yourself confidently and pleasantly.

Listen and respond concisely to the questions asked. Make sure to get across the message you think is necessary to land that job. Hopefully you have done some ground work towards that end if this is the job you really want.

Good luck selecting your attire. Really just make sure it's clean and not wrinkled. The rest will fall into place.

Mar 27, 05 10:08 am  · 
 · 
cvankle

Good advice by alpha, as a general rule you want to be at least as well dressed, if not better, than the general attire of the office. I always wear a suit and tie to an interview (nothing too flashy usually) and make sure to take stock of what people are wearing in the office. If I am invited back for a second interview then i try to more closely match what people in the office are wearing. But as a rule of thumb I would say go with a coat and tie if you aren't sure, its hard to go wrong with that.

Mar 27, 05 12:55 pm  · 
 · 
eeayeeayo

It depends on the position you're applying for too. We're a causal office and have interviewed people for "part-time student intern" who were dressed in shorts and t-shirts. Yes, we consider this to be under-dressed, but not such a problem that they'd be disqualified for consideration. But if someone were applying for "Project Manager" dressed like that we'd see it as a much bigger problem. The student intern or the Project Manager could both be appropriately dressed in jacket and tie. A jacket and tie is typical for most men we see applying for fulltime positions at any level.
We interviewed a person for "CAD production assistant" who was dressed in a 3-piece suit. That level of over-formality was a little disconcerting especially considering our own fairly casual dress.

Mar 27, 05 1:24 pm  · 
 · 
WonderK

pinstripes, baby

can't go wrong!

Mar 27, 05 1:41 pm  · 
 · 
jbirl

suit and tie or jacket and tie. at least they can't focus on your attire. just be professional, whatever that means.

Mar 27, 05 1:45 pm  · 
 · 
plainjane

wear something you're confortable with. something that fits well and something that makes you feel confidence.

Mar 27, 05 2:02 pm  · 
 · 
beatmeofficer

my wife's underwear?

Mar 27, 05 7:08 pm  · 
 · 
plainjane

exactly beatmeofficer... exactly... that should really boost your confidence

Mar 27, 05 7:20 pm  · 
 · 
David Zeibin

I actually went shopping today for something dressy but not the three-piece wedding/funeral gear. Why is it that a suit just seems wrong for an architectural job interview?

Mar 28, 05 1:57 am  · 
 · 
pencrush

I think it depends on where you're interviewing, both firm-wise and geographic location. Read more here with portland as an example.

Mar 28, 05 2:44 am  · 
 · 
ferplexion

black suit, white shirt, no tie.

just my preference.

Mar 28, 05 3:40 am  · 
 · 
vado retro

go to nordstroms or your towns equivalent. buy their brands dark blue or black suit. one with a discreet pattern is fine. probably get by on four to five hundred bucks. get a couple of shirts blue, stripes whatever and some complementary ties. buy some nice shoes because really those are important. i personally always judge people by their shoes. take shower put on outfit get job. also, you need this suit for weddings funerals holiday parties etc. it doesnt matter where or for whom you are interviewing where the proper clothes.

Mar 28, 05 7:03 am  · 
 · 
e

be yourself. you don't need to be suited up if that's not you. you can still look good without the suit. i have never worn a suit, tie, or white shirt to an interview. i wear nice shirts that are not tucked in. it has never hurt my chances for a job.

Mar 28, 05 12:24 pm  · 
 · 
Colm

If you can pull off an interview wearing a dress: Go for the gusto!

Otherwise, as e suggests... be yourself: Birthday Suit!

Mar 28, 05 12:45 pm  · 
 · 
mwad

I think it definitely depends on firm culture. We prefer our candidates to be relaxed. When people have come in to interview wearing suits and I'm wearing flip flops and a Threadless Tee it just feels a bit wierd. I can't imagine someone coming in with the blue suit and white shirt attire...

Mar 28, 05 1:14 pm  · 
 · 
proFuse

I made a few alterations on my wardrobe depending on the office I was interviewing at. I bought a nice black suit and a few shirts and matching ties (brown,black,blue, white). I also bought two mock silk shirts (tan and grey) During my week of interviews I varied my dress by wearing suit and tie, no tie, no jacket, mock shirt instead of button up...etc. It worked well for me. In most cases I was overdressed, but that's how it should be.

To be fair, I wasn't being interviewed by anyone in flip flops. Had that been the case I would have disregared the suit altogether.

Mar 28, 05 1:22 pm  · 
 · 
harveylamar

alright so its between

1. flip flops and threadless t-shirt

2. dark grey pinstripes

Mar 28, 05 1:56 pm  · 
 · 
Bloopox

We find ourselves dressing up on days that we're interviewing, because otherwise both we and probably the applicant feel awkward when they're so much more formally attired. But we haven't gotten as casual as flip flops and threadless tees (a little cold for that here anyway.)

ProFuse: what's "mock silk"? Artificial fibers are too be avoided when they are attempting to pose as natural fibers. If they boldly announce their own artificiality then they can be a good choice in certain firms.
Suits with polyester in them trap odor and retain it forever. High-stress interviews + polyester = very bad combination.

Suits and ties aren't necessary for many interviews and are really overkill for some. Try to get a sense of what people in the firm are wearing and then dress one step better (but make sure to stalk them on a day other than Casual Friday, as that won't give you a good indication.)

Mar 28, 05 2:25 pm  · 
 · 
mwad

Reefs are an Austin staple...especially now that lake weather is on the brink. And I wouldn't wear flip flops to an interview...but since I'm already working...

HarveyLamar- are you in Austin? What firms are you looking at?

Mar 28, 05 2:26 pm  · 
 · 
cSquared

I just wear, like, whatever.

Mar 28, 05 2:29 pm  · 
 · 
harveylamar

mwad,

not in austin...but if I was I'd be looking at your firm...really nice work. I'm interviewing for a small firm in nyc and firms in the pac. norwest.

Mar 28, 05 3:06 pm  · 
 · 
duke19_98

mock refers to the type of shirt...a collarless buttonless shirt in long or short sleeves. Usually the nice ones are silk and look great under a jacket.

Mar 28, 05 3:16 pm  · 
 · 
proFuse

Bloopix,

brian frels pretty much said it. its just a collarless shirt.

Mar 28, 05 3:28 pm  · 
 · 
Suture

a black turtleneck and nothing else

Mar 28, 05 3:37 pm  · 
 · 
newstreamlinedmodel

I wear the nicer end of my everyday work cloths. I don’t think it helps you to be over dressed, especially by your own standards. Everyone can tell when you’ve got that teenage-Subway-manager-in-a-clip-on-tie effect going on. Better to let then know that this is just another business meeting for you and that you are relating to them a potential associates rather than your parole board

Mar 28, 05 4:11 pm  · 
 · 
harveylamar

the new silk mock sounds really 80's ...i keep thinking miami vice when i imagine what it looks like with a jacket.

Mar 28, 05 4:53 pm  · 
 · 
harveylamar

newsstreamlined....nice...teenage subway manager look is exactly what I'm going for!!

Mar 28, 05 4:54 pm  · 
 · 
David Cuthbert

you know having done the interview circuit and also being on a panel for interviews we all have an ideal within our subconscious. But the one thing i've found similar without a doubt, and needless of the type of practice black trousers/or staight skirt for the ladies and a button down long sleeved shirt or 3/4 for the ladies. men roll the sleeves us twice no more just below the elbow. The shirt should be matte and well ironed...a difficult taste as it is bound to get creases with all the figetting...but trust me it works. if its too dressy it still comes off as being professional if not enough, it comes off as you being within the know without trying to kiss their asses

Mar 28, 05 5:06 pm  · 
 · 
VanWinkle

people 'dress up' for final reviews, still?

Mar 28, 05 8:10 pm  · 
 · 
abracadabra

go wearing this, like you are ready to start on any project upon employment.

Mar 28, 05 8:20 pm  · 
 · 
harveylamar

that's sweet abra....

Mar 29, 05 2:59 am  · 
 · 

Thats what Paul should offer instead of T-shirts next time...

Mar 29, 05 7:08 am  · 
 · 
e909

what happened to "archs wear only black"?

but i woulnd't wear a white tie if all else were to be black. try a solid green chrome tie.

if anyone decides to wear their dress inside-out with their slip over, then don't forget to wear the pink bow in your hair, all wrapped in a nice hairnet (or cap).

Mar 31, 05 4:44 am  · 
 · 

depends on culture. i moved from japan (suits everywhere, oh my god its awful! sorta vibe) to london (why is that guy wearing a suit? I thought he wanted to be an architect!). took one interview to realise that suits are not part of the London scene when job hunting, at least not in the kind of places I was looking for work. The partner i interviewed with weren't in sandles but he was in the brit equivalent, no doubt bout that. He took me for a tof, almost got indignant actually. I have now developed an un-natural abhorence of suits and generally avoid them; rather tricky now i is back in Tokyo, but I get by on pretending to be a flaky creative type. Works so far but only cuz i is foreign.

Mar 31, 05 10:24 am  · 
 · 
fergus
http://www.designboom.com/interviews.html

I realy like these insights into the character of the designers interviewed here and one of the common questions is about clothes.

Apr 22, 05 5:44 am  · 
 · 
Ms Beary

Suture - can you post a picture of you in a black turtleneck and nothing else?
What shoes go with that? Gotta have shoes.

Apr 22, 05 9:59 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: