Archinect
anchor

Anyone use SketchUp?

Alaninabox

Anyone use SketchUp? ( www.sketchup.com) I've been using the demo for a few days, but it's expired now. (They only give you 8 working hours with the demo) I want to hear what other people think of the program, I love it so far, but I can see flaws. Is it worth the $100 a year price tag (On the website they say "Also, every dollar spent on EDU licenses counts toward the purchase of a commercial license later on, and upgrades of EDU licenses are always free.")

If you haven't tried it I recommend downloading the demo.

Mar 25, 05 11:58 pm
David Zeibin

There was a decent discussion about SketchUp a while ago:
www.archinect.com/forum/threads.php?id=P10456_0_42_0_C

I like it for really quick things, like massing models and light studies, and simple section cuts. Right now, though, I'm enamored with Maya. SketchUp is getting better all the time, but for the moment it doesn't offer anything near the capabilities of a full-featured 3D modelling program like Maya or formZ or the various AutoCAD 3D ilk. A formZ student license is about the same as the SketchUp one, so I'd recommend picking that one up instead, if you're looking for bang for your buck.

Mar 26, 05 3:21 am  · 
 · 
siggers

Also, I think the colours that I've seen people use are awful. I don't know it there is a way to use it tastefully, but I think it just does what it says on the tin, sketches for simple, non aesthetically minded clients :)

Mar 26, 05 8:29 am  · 
 · 
kissy_face

I personally LOVE sketchup. Its so quick-I had to quickly model a city block for a meeting and I did it literally in under 25 minutes. i always export the model to studio max if I want it to look nice-the program isn't really made for doing nice renderings. I love that I can export the line drawings with all the line weight already-it makes it easy to photoshop!
I guess it depends on what you are looking for out of a modeling program. I hate FormZ and find it to be the least user friendly program on the planet-and I would never use it for quick study models.

Mar 26, 05 10:12 am  · 
 · 
Alaninabox

Form z is the standard at Temple U. I hate it though. That is the reason i'm looking for another program that will fit my needs better. Sketchup is just so quick that I love it. It does seem limiting sometimes though, and for a very complex model I'd expect some problems. But when it comes down to It I usually use my 3D models for underlays of had renderings (at least thats what I like to do)

In response to the colors, They are about the same as any other program before you add materials. I haven't yet tried anything with materials in sketchup, and frankly haven't even figured out how to edit materials. I need some more time to play around with the program. The 8 hour demo is just enough to get you hooked, but not enough to get your fix. I'll probably bite the bullet and get the licence when my paycheck comes in.

Seriously though I'd recommend anyone who reads this thread to download the demo. I'd like to hear what you all think about the program. I'd also recommend watching the tutorial videos. They help quite a bit.

Mar 26, 05 1:58 pm  · 
 · 
mauOne™

its worth it , sketchup rules !

Mar 26, 05 6:18 pm  · 
 · 
alphanumericcha

garbage in garbage out sig.

SU is as garbage in garbage out sig.

Garbage in garbage out sig.

SU is as powerful as you need it to be to model. Not great rendering, but exports very reliably to most anywhere you want to go.

Use SU for the model building for sure.

Our office now uses from the very first sessions and cuts the professional rendering time in half because we send them at least the basics and sometimes very refined models which only require tweaking.

Mar 26, 05 6:47 pm  · 
 · 
alphanumericcha

sorry - my Tourettes acting up

Mar 26, 05 6:50 pm  · 
 · 
siggers

lol, I take it that was aimed at me? :)

Mar 27, 05 7:11 am  · 
 · 
siggers

Sketchup sounds way too much like Ketchup for me to consider using it.

You heard it here first!

Mar 27, 05 7:14 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: