Archinect
anchor

form-z model to 3dstudio Viz

melvin

Our office is modelling in Form-Z and looking to render in 3dStudio Viz 2005. What's the best way to export your model from Form-Z? Ideally, we'd like to manage materials by layers, so a layer of all windows would end up as one object in 3dStudio. This is possible in Autocad, but not sure if possible in Form-z
thanks

Mar 24, 05 7:56 pm
Saturn

Hey Melvin. The best way to do this is to export as a .dwg file and import into Viz. Be sure your layers are correct and that your geometries are accurate. This should group the objects together per layer. Also, you could use the file link option in Viz to link the cad file to Viz. This way the layers would be grouped together.

Mar 24, 05 11:00 pm  · 
 · 
G-bot

Also then you can update the Z model and relink the DWG in Viz and you will retain all the materiality that you set up in Viz. DXF sometimes has less rubish lines for some reason. Good Luck.

Mar 25, 05 2:56 am  · 
 · 
trace™

go for .3ds if any of the geometry that comes in with screwed up normals (or go to sub object mode and manually fix them).

G-bot- are you saying you can save over the DWG (as you correct things in FMZ) and it'll update in Max? I've never used the file link feature. That'd be pretty cool if it did do that.

Mar 25, 05 11:58 am  · 
 · 

just remember to click "Force 2-Sided" when you render in Viz, in case anything you imported is facing the wrong way.

Mar 25, 05 2:02 pm  · 
 · 
Data

yes the file link manager lets you update geometry, and will update textures according to layers.

Mar 25, 05 7:05 pm  · 
 · 
melvin

Can't do file link manager in Max though, not in v.6 anyway. Another reason why we got Viz.
If you can in Max 6, can somebody tell me how?
thanks for the .dwg suggestion, by the way, worked great

Mar 25, 05 7:38 pm  · 
 · 
trace™

I thought that was one of the big improvements to Max 6? I have to learn more about it.

Don't check 2 sided unless you have to. It increases render time. But if you are using GI, most likely the plugin's materials will be 2 sided anyway (Final Render's mat's are all 2 sided).

Mar 26, 05 1:36 pm  · 
 · 
Saturn

Max has the file link option if you have a subscription from AutoDesk, so I hear.

Mar 27, 05 6:47 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: