Archinect
anchor

Open source architecture

Cloutier

i read a few articles about open source architecture a while back. the idea comes from open source programming (unix, linux, firefox, pov ray), where source codes are accessible to everyone, and anyone can improve it. while i think its a really interesting idea, i never exactly understood how it would be used for architecture and i wonder how/if it could actually be used in the real world.

what are your thoughts on the subject?

Mar 23, 05 9:28 pm
do_arch

my current architecture studio at school considers itself "open source" and is structured in a non-linear rhizomatic manner. We do this by utilizing Blogger for a continuous dialogue relevant to the project. The studio has its own room at school which helps facilitate what we are doing. the last 2 months we have been researching the project and now everyone has become highly specialized about certain research topics. All findings and conclusions are pinned up in the room, and then connections between all the work is being made with string or whatever can be found. We also painted one wall in the room with chalkboard paint so ideas can be shared there as well. We have tried several digital methods of data organization, connecting, and sharing ideas, but we have found that the physical sharing of ideas works the best.

Mar 23, 05 11:56 pm  · 
 · 
indigo

Try M.I.T. Open Source Building Alliance, called House_N here. Really fascinating & detailed. It is an ongoing process, hope they continue to update & publish.

Mar 24, 05 1:38 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: