Archinect
anchor

what's after post-modernism?

abracadabra

"As soon as I understand the scale of the building and the relationship to the site and the relationship to the client, as it becomes more and more clear to me, I start doing sketches".
FRANK O. GEHRY

Mar 23, 05 12:49 pm  · 
 · 

3D-honeycombism...

Mar 23, 05 12:52 pm  · 
 · 
THREADS

informatics!

Mar 23, 05 1:04 pm  · 
 · 
THREADS

le bossmann...dazed and confused is not a douche.

Mar 23, 05 1:06 pm  · 
 · 
le bossman

he knows i'm just messing with him...

Mar 23, 05 2:54 pm  · 
 · 
Tim DeCoster

Archinectism

Whatever it comes to will be a result of interweaving so much of what is known today, yet architects have not had/spent the time to "hatch the egg" so to speak. We know so much about the way that people think and react to their environment. We have this info. at our fingertips.

We also know what trends are happening all over the world; not 10 years ago... we have today's news... today. I don't think it's ever been like this before. Just look at the existence of this message board. The world is a much smaller place suddenly w/in the last 5 years. I truly feel that another major trend will take form within our lifetimes, and hopefully it will include some of what I just mentioned. It's up to me/you/us to make it happen.

You heard it here first... Archinectism.

(wow, I sort of feel like an info-mercial now)

Mar 23, 05 7:04 pm  · 
 · 
Dazed and Confused

Don't mess with le douche

Mar 23, 05 7:51 pm  · 
 · 
Tectonic

LOVE

Mar 23, 05 8:11 pm  · 
 · 
vado retro

everybody's building ships and boats
some are building monuments
while others are jotting down notes
everybodys in despair every girl and boy
but when quinn the eskimo gets here
everybodys gonna jump for joy

LEDOUCHE-ITECTURE!!!

Mar 23, 05 8:22 pm  · 
 · 
rutger

Maybe...starchitecture-ism

Mar 24, 05 8:37 am  · 
 · 

Extreme Makeover - Architecture Edition: architecture as an assemblage of all the best Sears has to offer - finished in 7 days while you're on vacation.

Mar 24, 05 1:19 pm  · 
 · 
whodamantom

Hahaha, good Steven, I am afraid that is the direction we are going,
Home Depot Architecture.

Friedrich St.Florian, RISD proffessor and designer of the World War II memorial in DC believes that the end of Post-Modernism will usher in a new and glorious ...Neo Classicism. We can all hope that the world doesnt take such a terrible direction. I am not sure what he basis this speculation on, he speaks in such a way that would suggest it couldnt be any other way.

What's next, Ive heard it said that we wont be able to fully understand this period of "Postmodernity" until we are done, and have a Post-scope to view it. It seems that the folly of Postmodernity, will with the economy, change in reaction to "The man". People will realize that those things they dont even know are "Postmodern" dont make them happy, rather, make them numb to enjoy living.

Post-Post-Modernism could be great or terrible.

Mar 24, 05 4:56 pm  · 
 · 

I've always considered it both: a great theory which somehow produces terrible architecture.

Mar 24, 05 5:06 pm  · 
 · 
post-neorealcrapismist

i think it can be said that we are currently in a state of everythingism. (to steal from Phillip Johnson) I believe that the area I live in is currently in a state of suspension from real design. It seems to me that sense the empowerment of the "planning commission" in the 1960's joe and Jane smith have slowly smothered the ability of the architect to be truly creative. If you drive anywhere here (Detroit area) the sides of the roads are littered with strip malls and office buildings that resemble oversized completely out of scale homes. If it doesn't look totally familiar to the planning commission they reject it because of it's "obtrusiveness" to their "small town". There are some exceptions of progressive planning commission that do accept modern thinking of space when it comes to design but even they are plagued by uneducated members that get hung up on the mundane aspects of what a building really is. This might just be my frustration of the inability to design what I feel is the best solution due to the planning commission or "design guidelines". I don't know if I can design another office building or commercial structure to look "less contemporary and more French country (actual statement by planning commission member)."
maybe it is time to start a period of education-ism. I have always believed that the solution for the client is 80% education and 20% design.

Mar 24, 05 5:15 pm  · 
 · 
whodamantom

Maybe Architects need to take the power back, pack from planners, back from developers, back from the Governement, and back from the masses. We need a Scorge of Biblical proportions! Everyone has the ability to be apeased in Postmodern culture, why are architects, christians, and the middle class consistantly told that their opinions are unwelcome; how liberal is that!

Mar 24, 05 5:29 pm  · 
 · 

How 'bout this?

"Future Landmark" Architecture

Mar 24, 05 5:31 pm  · 
 · 
yoginfish

A stylistic representation that is lack of representation and concealing itself as multi-representation or quasi-representation. hmm.....

Mar 24, 05 5:57 pm  · 
 · 
citizen

One solution to the problem posed by Post-Neo is for architects to get onto local planning commissions.

Mar 24, 05 6:04 pm  · 
 · 
anotherquestion

>It was a very potent illustration of Janosh's point: these categories are >artificial, malleable, of very limited usefulness. This goes for newer work >as well, kids.

Janosh, citizen, you can pooh-poo terminology, but i don't want to shoot myself in the foot by not knowing the rhetoric to participate in the critical dialogue.

I want to be informed enough, at least, to make fun of it. ; )

Steven, you win: (>>Extreme Makeover) isn't that a bit like competition work?

Mar 25, 05 5:03 am  · 
 · 
Janosh

This is not a matter of specialized, technical jargon that you must know to participate in architectural culture, in fact quite the opposite. These terms, Post-Modern, Deconstructivist, Late-Modern, Modern, etc., are usually not even used by the individuals whose work is attributed as belonging to them, as they are limited to formal affinities and not the attitudes or processes that the architects would claim actually makes them as they are.

The reason why these terms exist at all is because they operate as convenient vehicles for monographs by architecture writers of limited critical ability (Jencks is in this group). AQ, I know your question was well intended, but the best thing for you to do is understand the work and architects that are supposed to be in these groups so that you know why they don't fit - architecture is more nuanced than that.

Mar 25, 05 10:39 am  · 
 · 
the righteous fist

not what, but who? after that night at ray's i was no longer convinced postmodernism was all she was cracked up to be..

Mar 25, 05 10:41 am  · 
 · 
post-neorealcrapismist

i think it can be said that the movement or styles of architecture that cover certian eras or periods in time are not limited to architecture. In most cases it was a social movement that gave way to a certain ideas of thought processes about built space. Modernism was not held solely to architecture, i covered many aspects of society. Thus i believe that janosh you are correct, many architects do get thrown into certian movements that they do not belong in. but at the time of their work a social movement was in place that they responded to making them a part of that movement. Isn't it venturi that says he is not now, nor has he ever been a post-modernist?

Mar 25, 05 10:46 am  · 
 · 
Nell Lime

Well looking at history, things go:
Return to historic ideas (ie - classicalism, renasance)
Play with the concepts and use them ironically (ie - modernism, or mannerist, neo-classicalism)
Abandon the concepts and go for completely emotional ideas (ie romantic baroque, post-modernist)
Then return to the historic and rational ideas and the cycle continues.

I might be wrong, but that does seem to be the pattern that historically architecture takes- so if you want to know what comes next, just look at history. I believe that history spirals-- humanity repeats things from the past. Summer always comes, winter always comes, demands for new buildings always come. People are born, people are married, people build houses, people hate their parent's architecture, people die. Everything cycles around the timeframe of the greatest architect- did you know that according to CS Lewis (I believe- although I am not certain it was he who said it), historically- especially in the middleages God was thought of as the great architect. As architects we're creaters, just like God created to universe- we create small universes in which people may live, work, and play.

So look at history if you want to figure out what comes next- I believe it would be the redefining of what architecture is by going back to the principles that historically architecture is?

Mar 25, 05 11:24 am  · 
 · 

Too easy. Yes, there are cycles, but you also have to note the period of those cycles. They're coming so fast now that we're not through one before the next begins and we end up with synchronous cycles in which everything is happening all at once. Some parts of the world/country/community are in one cycle; others are in another.

Or as William Gibson put it, "The future is already here, it's just not evenly distributed."

Mar 25, 05 11:28 am  · 
 · 
pix

post modernism offered a different branch of work, for those who strive to bring back some classicism into architecture again, with architects such as Ricardo Bofill, whose work i´m tempted to critizice and talk about but won´t..
modernism is still a period that we can say we are in, but these days, even architects try to avoid a specific clasification, because there is not just one movement that is followed... there are no rules,
how can you describe for examples Gehry´s work, Calatrava and Eisenman, so different in esence, but always equally magnificent construction wise.
Arhictecture nowadays is more what you make of it... inspiration can come from being socially active, politicaly active, nature friendly and many more... even music, studies of flows, numbers, take the stand of Ocean, Anamorphosis, even Asymptote,, all so different, all in the same period of time.

Mar 25, 05 1:02 pm  · 
 · 
Medit

according to Shuhei Endo, the next step, at least where he lives, is Paramodern architecture

or maybe we will go back playing with the golden number again and repeating the same greek axioms over and over..

as long as we have Geometry everything will be alright... don't panic

Mar 25, 05 1:04 pm  · 
 · 

if the new posts on the image gallery are any indication:

macaroni-modern

penne-modern

i like this stuff despite my recognition that it'll be a short-lived trend, evolved from the almost-gone-already rounded-corners graphic design trend that was itself recycled from the dating game/brady bunch era.

why is it so seductive when made into buildings?

Apr 5, 05 4:50 pm  · 
 · 
lizok

apres-guarde

Apr 5, 05 5:22 pm  · 
 · 
cyborg

The correct answer is post-humanism or in DeLanda architecture talk, New Materialism... just a fancier name for Poo-Mo

Apr 5, 05 6:18 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: