Archinect
anchor

weekend sessions @ Yestermorrow

Has anyone participated in the weekend sessions at Yestermorrow Design/Build School? Are they worthwhile in what you get out versus what you pay? I'm debating on possibly attending one (once I get the catalog in the mail) and want to make sure I'm not wasting my money.

Any feedback would be appreciated.

Mar 21, 05 4:10 pm
eeayeeayo

You learn how to race tape measures down inclined 2x4s. Seriously. You'll get more out of a weekend seminar at Home Depot on building a bird house or installing tile.

Mar 21, 05 6:11 pm  · 
 · 
mad+dash

their programs aren't for people with formal design educations as it is geared toward novices. their week long courses are another story. if you are interested in natural building or some idea not normally offered in a regular setting such as timberframing or strawbale then totally go for it. the staff is great and it is an amazing experience in a beautiful and isolated setting.
this school is definitely a lot of money but weekend courses aren't so bad at the 200 to 400 range plus lodging. you could also do
work-trade...another option worth mentioning if money is a problem...you come a day or two before and pay for most of the tuition cost.

definitely good people at yestermorrow.

Mar 21, 05 6:22 pm  · 
 · 
buzz

I havent been to the tape rule racing class...but its a shame that eeayeeayo had a bad experience there. The staff and instructors are all very interesting people devoted to what they do. As an insructor there for the last three years, I have met with many many students. The vast majority have had a wonderful time and learned what they came to study. Obviously, not everyone can have a positive experience in all thry do. Yestermorrow is a great place to learn the design/build process, a rewarding way to take responsibility in the building you might be involved with in your life...you wont learn what Yestermorrow teaches at home depot, that I can assure you..As an aside, many of their classes are eligible for continuing education credit from AIA.

Apr 1, 05 8:32 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: