Archinect
anchor

Routes to a M.Arch

qinzehao

I'm a Canadian student going to Waterloo electrical engineering next year. I want to be an architect, and of the schools that I applied to for architecture, only UT accepted me, and compared to my engineering offers, UT bachelor of art didn't really stand out. I also applied to Waterloo and Mcgill; I got passed the interview for waterloo but didn't do well on the Precis, and is on the waiting list for Mcgill.

Right now I'm wondering, can I finish electrical engineering and still be competitive for a prestigious M.arch school in the U.S/Canada? Or should I switch to an engineering field more closely related to architecture? (civil engineering)

Another concern is that for Waterloo arch, I can't transfer from another engineering field into it; I HAVE to reapply. Should I do this? I'm hesitating because if I do and I get in, I would be back to yr 1 instead of yr 2 in the program. 

Keen on hearing your helpful advices.  

Aug 9, 11 12:50 am
zeiji

There are a lot of schools in the US that have M.Arch programs that accept students from non-architecture backgrounds. Students from preprofessional programs occasionally get advanced standing for M.Arch depending on the program.

I'm not familiar with Waterloo's school of architecture, are you saying that if you want to get into the architecture major you'll have to reapply, meaning losing your first year's worth of work in electrical engineering? 

I'm in a BS Arch program right now, and from what I've seen from the M.Arch candidates  entering my school from non-architecture backgrounds, there's an extra year required or so that is added on.

Aug 9, 11 2:12 am  · 
 · 
Building

Most "prestigious" architecture schools have 3 year M.Arch programs for people with any undergrad major.  I had a friend get into some M.Arch programs with an electrical engineering degree (but turned them all down because he was making loads of money straight out of undergrad).  Anecdotal evidence aside, almost 50% of each incoming class at each program I looked at did not have architecture undergrad degrees.

Aug 9, 11 4:22 am  · 
 · 
qinzehao

@Zeiji

If you don't mind me asking, which school are you from? and yes, basically, if I reapply to Waterloo's arch program, I lose all my work I did for electrical engineering first yr. This is because Waterloo's program is very strict in term of their education. They want you to go through a series of courses that they believe are crucial for success. 

@Building, 

Also if you don't mind me, which arch schools did you friend get into? Thanks

Aug 17, 11 11:08 am  · 
 · 
tricks

the only problem with doing 4 years of electrical engineer and going into an M.Arch is that you'll have no portfolio built up. Unless you're passionate about art and do that one the side, I would recommend sacrificing that year if you're truly interested in architecture.

Aug 17, 11 12:44 pm  · 
 · 
willwclo

Compared to any of the BA programmes in UofT, the workload in Waterloo's ECE programme is extremely heavy from what I've seen. If you don't have at least a little passion for electrical engineering, you might burn out really quickly. Same goes for architecture school, I suppose.

UofT also has a combined faculty of arts and science -- so as long as you have the right course prerequisites and the GPA, you can freely apply to any available BS or BA major in your second year. What "stream" you're accepted into now doesn't actually matter that much beyond getting first dibs on certain course selections.

Aug 17, 11 2:49 pm  · 
 · 
qinzehao

Just finished my first year as an engineering student. I'm still hesitant on whether or not I should switch to architecture. Does any one from the following M.arch schools know anyone else that got in with a completely non-architecture/arts related engineering program? 

Bartlett, GSAPP, Princeton, GSD, YSOA

Any help is highly highly appreciated

Aug 14, 12 3:11 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: