Archinect
anchor

2012 M.Arch Applicants, Commiserate Here!

leathamj

@SkiSteve

Nice to see another Utah resident.  Based on the schools you mentioned being accepted to I just thought I'd recommend not choosing Newschool in SD.  I considered it until I made a visit and met with people last summer.  It wasn't impressive.  They seem to accept people too easy, and it's not as respected.  Although I'm sure many private schools are fine, this one acted more like a business than a school.  If your interested at all let me know and I'll tell you more about my trip. Congratulations on your acceptances.

Mar 9, 12 8:51 pm  · 
 · 
SkiSteve

@batman.  Yeah I was thinking the same thing about not getting an email.  Oh well, it was kinda a reach school anyways. top choice though.

@leathamj.  I applied to New School mostly because of the city, but I knew I could get in and it was a super safety school.  UNLV is the same. Was hoping they would give me a bunch of aid, but guess not.  I will probably end up going to Utah though, just cause I can get it pretty cheap for a decent school, no word on funding yet though.

Mar 9, 12 9:15 pm  · 
 · 
SN_Fan

@enmod

Did you receive email from Cornell today? None of my friends got emails from Cornell except from those who got Rejs two days ago.

Mar 9, 12 9:16 pm  · 
 · 
smwong

@batman & SkiSteve

I wouldn't fret about Berkeley just yet. On gradcafe, only two entries are listed today, and one of them is mine. I think they will be sending more acceptances out soon. Good luck! 

Mar 9, 12 9:21 pm  · 
 · 
batman

thanks! im so scared...someone hold me

Mar 9, 12 10:06 pm  · 
 · 
jason_sf

@smwong

Congrats! I also got the unofficial email today. My first acceptance--it was a great relief. Pretty excited.

@ batman

I agree with smwong...don't give up hope yet. The fact that there are so few responses on gradcafe and this site probably mean that there will be another round of acceptances.

Mar 9, 12 11:11 pm  · 
 · 
batman

^ thanks Jason_SF! fingers crossed. really want to move on with me life, but i am starting to accept that i can wait for another year if things dont go out so smooth

Mar 10, 12 1:05 am  · 
 · 
LUcive

Accepted to UC Berkeley! Does anyone know how good the program is from personal experience? There seems to be few discussions on the actual program lately...

Mar 10, 12 11:54 am  · 
 · 
tcbearth

So whats up at Berkeley, MIT and Columbia?

Anyone have an idea of when the decisions will go?

I know Berkeley sent out some <unofficial> responses - what does that mean? When do the rest of the responses go out and why do they send out a first round notifying only a few....?

Any insight would be appreciated.

Mar 10, 12 12:49 pm  · 
 · 
jason_sf

@LUcive

I think "good" depends on what you are looking for in a program. Generally speaking, the program is highly regarded, at least here on the West Coast. Historically, I think the program has been known as having a strong multidisciplinary approach with Urban Design and Landscape Architecture, focus on sustainability and social/cultural issues in design, strong on theory and more real-world application of design versus abstract. More recently, I feel like they are trying to branch out more and break away a little from the general stereotypes. It seems like they are really trying to push digital media and fabrication now--though, I suspect it is less about pushing the boundaries of technology like say an MIT or GSAPP, and more about trying to make their program on par with other top schools. Some former graduates have told me that they felt like Cal was kind of weak on design, but I feel like that is a bit abstract of a criticism, and perhaps a result of the students and not the program.

These are just some of my impressions--I could be totally off base here. It'd be nice if any current students or recent graduates chimed in. I plan on attending the open house to get a better idea of the curriculum and faculty, and meet some current students to hear their thoughts. Hopefully, you can make it out to get a better idea as well.

I, for one, have enjoyed attending their lecture series over the years and really like the campus and generally atmosphere (grew up in the Bay Area), so I am exciting about the prospect of attending UC Berkeley.

This is a good starting place:

http://arch.ced.berkeley.edu/galleries

Mar 10, 12 1:00 pm  · 
 · 
Seth Embry

I've briefly skimmed over the messages in this forum and would like to say congratulations to all those accepted, and 'hang in there' to those still waiting. My situation is as follows, and although I've essentially made my decision, I'm wondering what comes after.

I applied to GSAPP, Pratt, and Städelschule (SAC). I have been accepted to SAC, and must pay my deposit by March 15th in order to secure my place. Although I had hoped to hear from Columbia by now (I expected Pratt to be late, given their general disorganization, which also ranks it third in my interest level), I have every intention of giving SAC my deposit today, due to both my desire to study in Europe, the esteem of the program, and the fact that I won't likely spend the rest of my life in debt by going there. My only problem, though, is that I would still like to entertain the idea of being able to practice in America and be licensed, and I have been told that there are programs that will allow people with a European master do a supplemental one-year program (either within or separate from and MArch II Program) that would award an MArch degree that would be acceptable for licensing here.

I do see my career path as being that of a practicing academic, and given everything, I feel that SAC is the best school for helping me on that path. i just want to make sure I'm not working myself into a corner with both a pre-professional 4-year architecture degree and a European master, if there's an option to do an additonal year or so and have professionally accredited degrees in both America and Europe.

Any thoughts? I've heard rumors of both Rice and CUNY offering transitional degrees, but would love to know more about them.

Mar 10, 12 1:28 pm  · 
 · 
whyARCH?

@jordans99

congrats! WSU does seem like a well grounded program, and the staff and everyone was really nice/helpful like you said. UW will be my first choice, as it would save me money and I have more connections in Seattle, but it is a lot more competitive to get into, so I am glad I have WSU as a back up. I will probably visit WSU on my own time as I don't think there is an open house or anything.

Mar 10, 12 1:53 pm  · 
 · 
jpugarte1

@tcbearth,

From MIT admissions' website:

As of March 7, 2012, some admissions decisions have been made. Over the next several weeks the rest of the decisions will be made and notifications will go out in the form of phone calls, emails, and mailed letters.

So We'll have to wait

Mar 10, 12 2:06 pm  · 
 · 
idiotwind

abraxass: http://www.vignelli.com/canon.pdf

read the entire thing multiple times. it is very helpful. all of my friends and i who used it have been accepted to major league schools

dear soali,

nimet told me u have data sheet with my name on it and an x from a certain school in boston

Mar 10, 12 2:43 pm  · 
 · 
idiotwind

oh and did someone say anything about cornell?

i emailed admissions and they emailed me back saying letters are being mailed, so i should be notified in the next 2 - 3 weeks.

Mar 10, 12 2:44 pm  · 
 · 
soali

3 gold stars for mr. Cupps under UVA. Sorry to say you have been w/l at UTA

Mar 10, 12 3:19 pm  · 
 · 
utaustin2012

Anyone receive financial aid info from yale yet?

Mar 10, 12 4:15 pm  · 
 · 
Jord99

@WhyArch--

I agree about UW-Seattle. Despite UW-Seattle seemingly being a bit below the caliber of other top Non-Ivy' league schools such as UT, Rice, UCLA and Berkley, I've heard their admission rate is very low (Lower than some of these schools). I Don't know if that's true, but it seems very competitive. I think one reason could be that it dominates the Pacific NW. There are not any Ivy's and only a few other major schools to compete with and with UW being one of the best public schools in the world, and owning the region I can imagine it helps wit networking.

Mar 10, 12 4:44 pm  · 
 · 
whyARCH?

@jordans99

totally agree. UW offers a great city environment, which attracts a lot of students and it is so diverse here. The advisor told me that 225 applied to the 3 year program and only 24 will be accepted, so about 10% chance!

Mar 10, 12 5:18 pm  · 
 · 
Hays Office

I graduated from UW's undergraduate architecture program and loved it. The school has great professors, a great relationship with practicing architects in Seattle, great facilities (biggest woodshop I've ever encountered, recently renovated Architecture Hall), great travel abroad opportunities (Rome program, Japan, Scandinavia, etc), outstanding visiting profs (Murcutt, Kieran Timberlake, Juhani Pallasmaa when I was there), i.e. I would recommend it. Seattle is beautiful and international and the architecture school hauls five kegs of quality local brew into Gould Hall every other Friday after studio to end the school week. It's a no-brainer.

Mar 10, 12 6:22 pm  · 
 · 
arch16

just got word from the advisor at WSU that there were 16 of us chosen for WSUs 3+ track

Mar 10, 12 6:26 pm  · 
 · 
dawnchorus

@ nothing_engine

I visited SAC over the summer and it seemed like a great school. The only thing is that they offer a Master of Arts degree not a professional degree. I would recommend it as a school to attend in order to enhance your education after you have received an accredited degree. But if you plan on becoming licensed, I would go to a school (either in Germany or elsewhere) that gives you a professional degree.

From SAC's site FAQ:

CAN I BE REGISTERED AS AN ARCHITECT AFTER GRADUATING FROM YOUR PROGRAMME
SAC offers a post-graduate accredited Master of Arts in Architecture qualification which is an internationally recognized academic qualification. This means that the programme is 'post-professional.'
Thus, SAC seeks applicants with a previous degree in architecture. However, the programme is at a liberty to consider candidates with other, related backgrounds that would make a contribution to the programme.
This also means that a degree from SAC does not automatically qualify individuals in professional terms. Most importantly, since the requirements for academic training for a professional qualification varies from country to country and state to state, applicants are encouraged to consult the appropriate architectural authorities in the relevant country or state.
In other words, in order to practice as an architect, one needs to consult the relevant authorities where one intends to practice to find out what are the requirements for obtaining a professional practice certificate in this country/state. Someone with a SAC Master degree may have to individually apply and possibly submit a portfolio to the local / national professional authorities for the degree to be recognized.
SAC can provide an overview of the content of the programme as recognised by the German educational authorities.
Example: A SAC graduate wishes to study in Germany where the professional licenses are issued per state.In Germany, the academic title is different to the professional title as is the case in the UK with RIBA and as such this would be the case where ever you choose to study. If in the state of Hessen, the graduate would have to apply to the Hessische Chamber of Architects and submit a portfolio with work from SAC and previous education and practice.

Mar 10, 12 8:52 pm  · 
 · 
SN_Fan

Two of my classmates got phone calls from Cornell last Friday, something like an interview, saying that the decision will be made the next week.

M.Arch, not MLA.

Did anyone get phone call or any news from Cornell?

Mar 10, 12 9:20 pm  · 
 · 
LUcive

@jason_sf 

Thanks for the input and the link! I live in the Philly area and I'm having a hard time getting a good understanding of UC Berkeley's M. Arch Program. Most of the stuff that is on the dept. website are from 08'-10'. 

Does anyone have any links to current work from students or recent portfolios? Also, if anyone else has anything to say about Berkeley, feel free to chime in!

The other school I applied to is UPenn, decisions will be coming out in a few days!

Mar 10, 12 9:34 pm  · 
 · 
ARKISUCK

@LUcive

I got in Berkeley as well, and I really want to know more about it.

Like how big is their M.Arch program? Any great facult teach there? Hows the reputation of thier M.Arch? Employment rates etc...

Mar 10, 12 10:15 pm  · 
 · 
LUcive

@gsd110 and others:

here's some links i found around archinect of student blogs:

http://archinect.com/blog/21449059/uc-berkeley-michael

http://archinect.com/blog/21448992/uc-berkeley-nick

Also: the 1-year M. Arch program is having a pretty interesting symposium:

http://arch.ced.berkeley.edu/studioone/  

Mar 10, 12 10:42 pm  · 
 · 
LUcive

Also, can anyone out on the west coast comment on the University of California financial issues in regards to the architecture programs?

Mar 10, 12 10:46 pm  · 
 · 
nmgeller88

@gsd110 and @LUcive......

Don't mean to be rude or anything, but isn't this research something you should have done BEFORE applying? I mean some of the questions you are asking seem fairly basic, which leads me to believe you didn't do ANY research on the school before applying...

So did you just apply because of the name? Just doesn't make sense to me...

Mar 10, 12 11:13 pm  · 
 · 
jason_sf

@LUcive

It's no secret that the UC system is facing some serious financial burdens. I am not sure how this will affect architecture specifically at UC Berkeley, but at the very least I would expect tuition costs to go up (still cheaper than private school costs, and after one year of residing in CA, I believe you qualify for in-state tuition). I lecture at another UC, and I know that they had to cut some of their courses due to budget cuts, though I haven't seen so many changes that it feels like the overall quality of education has significantly decreased. Still, it is a bit depressing to think that tuition may go up, while resources diminish.

I would also be curious to see some recent work (I think those blogs are helpful). Most the people I know from Berkeley graduated roughly five years ago, and I feel like the program has evolved since then.

Also, good luck with UPenn! I also applied there. I think it's a bit of a reach for me, but maybe you can give me some local insight if I am fortunate enough to get accepted.

@gsd110

There aren't really any starchitect level faculty at UC Berkeley, but I think most are pretty solid design-wise. It seems like in recent years, some of the other California programs have started to stand out more with increasingly more renowned faculty (ie UCLA) and emphasis on digital design and production (ie. CCA, Sci-Arc). I can't help but feel as if Berkeley is starting to feel itself slip in comparison to competing programs, and trying to play catch-up in some ways, so to speak. It is still one of the most highly regarded programs (if not the highest) on the west coast, so I wouldn't really worry about it not measuring up to other programs post-graduation when you are looking for work. San Francisco has a lot of decent architecture firms--I think many graduates end up there or go the NYC route. Try giving them a call--I bet they can give you some stats on that kind of stuff and any specific info like class sizes (my guess about 30-40 students each year, but could be more???)

Sorry, I couldn't be more informative! I act like I know some things, but I am relatively clueless as well. I think the open house will be a good indicator of things to come. Hope you guys can make it out, and good luck on your other prospects!

Mar 11, 12 12:06 am  · 
 · 
whyARCH?

yep I've heard about their friday kegger's at UW! I did a summer program there and it was a blast. I met so many local architects. definitely would go there if accepted.

@arch16

Thanks for sharing how many were accepted, did they advisor state how many applied to the 3+ program?

Mar 11, 12 12:48 am  · 
 · 

@utaustin2012

I havent gotten the package from Yale yet. really hoping they send them out this week. 

Mar 11, 12 3:35 am  · 
 · 
litic

@utaustin2012 @James Petty

I haven't received my package from Yale. I think we'll receive them sometime this week.

Mar 11, 12 4:01 am  · 
 · 
Jord99

@Why Arch + Why 16. I think it's important to not get too carried away by how many people were accepted at a given program. It's crucial to understand that some programs are in a building phase. I think WSU is one of them, I would guess that they certainly accepted more than the typical 10-15% but under half.  I don't think that detracts from the program. Clemson probably accepts that to their healthcare track and they have (arguably) the best program in the country. 

Go to a school where you have the opportunity to learn under professors who care about your goals, and have the ability to help you meet them. Some schools are very design oriented, and others care more about pragmatics. WSU seems like the latter. I like that. From the get go, I was told by WSU that the most important thing was having a clear and succinct reason as to why you want to study architecture, and that was something I displayed in my portfolio and letter of intent. In my opinion schools get so fucking carried away with trying to find who has "natural abilities" as they pertain to design. My hook is that I worked at the AIA, and I know that being a successful designer and architect alike is about being a good generalist, having a nice,grounded philosophy on life is more important than your artistic skills...things like that can be learned, but the ability to think abstractly and logically simultaneously is a rarity and is a more important element than the ability to paint a pretty picture with little understanding as to how it makes sense contextually. If you have those skills, you will learn how to be successful in design--as it pertains to aesthetics and technical. 

Mar 11, 12 4:27 am  · 
 · 
k2886

ok again when is mit gonna release their results?? i am even waiting for ucla aud post professional the 2 yr program but somehow am more anxious abt mit!!

Mar 11, 12 4:49 am  · 
 · 
whyARCH?

it's no big deal, just nice to know. I'm not choosing a program based on admission stats, but I think everyone gets a little curious as to how many people are in your program. But yeah, programs love people who bring diverse backgrounds and that proves that you don't have show "natural" architectural ability in your work. I mean, I am living proof of that, I come from finance and I got into a program. WSU, is a good program based on former students I have talked to. Yeah, it isn't a school that is discussed all over these threads, but from what I hear, it gives students a leg up in technical skills.

Mar 11, 12 4:56 am  · 
 · 
Juno

Time to take a break from my thesis and see if I can answer a few questions about Berkeley's program.  To answer some basic questions -- In this year's graduating class, there are about 16  2-year program students and probably close to 25 - 30 3-yr program students.  I believe last year had about 40 students total who graduated.  As for the financial situation, all UC schools are struggling and it can definitely be felt here.  Tuition costs keep rising and funding for the CED is lacking, but like Jason said, after a year you can qualify for residency.  Being a GSI/TA is also a great way to make some money and pay for tuition.  I believe current TAs get in-state tuition and school healthcare paid for and a monthly stipend depending on how demanding your position is. 

As for the program, Berkeley excels at providing different focuses and allowing students to choose what direction they want to take in their 2-3 years here.  On the flip-side this might be due to the program being slightly unorganized =/.  While we might not have the BIG NAMES teaching here, most of the faculty is solid.  The great thing is the faculty is very diverse in what they are researching or focused on so you get some expertise knowledge in everything from theory, sustainable design, building science, digital design etc....   I have colleagues that have taken classes predominantly with professors like Lisa Iwamoto, Ron Rael, Paz Guiterezz etc who are combining digital / parametric design with building science, new materials development, formal / construction exploration etc.... To give an example of other classes, I am currently taking a class solely exploring and researching Louis Kahn's work and a class focused on the language of form ( how to see and describe the built environment around us through systems and different lenses ).  Last year I even did a real estate/designcompetition with the business school.  It was one of the most learning experiences I had so far in school.   Like I said before, the program is very student driven, so it's good to come in with a direction.   I almost forgot.  Tom Buresh, former chair at U Michigan has taken over this past year and is shaking things up a bit in a good way!  There have been some great visiting professors, Dan Wood / Work AC, Jordi Truco, Wes Jones to name a few, teaching studios lately.  I hope that helped a bit!  Good luck everyone! 

Mar 11, 12 5:33 am  · 
 · 
jason_sf

@Juno

Thanks for the info, and my apologies if it seemed like I was talking out of my ass a bit. There's a whole range of people here from the completely clueless, to the people like me who think they know a thing or two but it's solely based off of hearsay and internet research, and then there are the people like you who actually know from current experience. It's nice to hear that the program has such diverse areas of study and is very student driven. I am interested in the work of Iwamoto and Rael, so it's good to hear that students have the opportunity to work more closely with faculty catering to their interests, but there is enough flexibility to explore other areas that you might be curious about. I was also not sure what to expect with the new chair, but it sounds like positive changes.

Again, thank you so much and good luck with your thesis!

Mar 11, 12 1:54 pm  · 
 · 

I don't think it's wise to infer that "design" schools care only about "natural talent" rather than having a reason for studying architecture.

I would say that is untrue, and that can be proven by looking at how successful applicants identify themselves in their folios. Their are many many talented individuals who are unsuccessful and many less-than-talented individuals who gain admission. These schools are mostly concerned that you can take an independent direction with your career and studies, and pursue it intensely. This also means specificity; your design intent should be pervasive in your entire folio and it should be more specific than any statement about perhaps, energy conservation, etc.

Mar 11, 12 2:31 pm  · 
 · 
LUcive

@Juno 

Thanks for your input! It's much appreciated. How easy is it to become a TA there? I know it's sometimes a competitive process. Good luck on your thesis!

Mar 11, 12 2:53 pm  · 
 · 
Seth Embry

@ dawnchorus,

Thanks for the input. the more I research things and talk to people, the more complicated it seems to become. The american architects I've spoken to, both licensed and unlicensed, seem skeptical about NCARB and the licensing process in general, and I feel like I share their skepticism. The fact is, career-wise, I'm mostly interested in design research and cross-curricular practice, and while building buildings is hopefully an eventual by-product of this, I don't want to spend my life pouring over construction sets nit-picking potential liability items. Cynical, maybe, but given that I would prefer to practice in Europe anyway, and definitely in an academic capacity, I don't know that a 'professional' degree is necessarily necessary for me.

My biggest concern is that if I change my mind later, or work prospects are slimmer than I'm currently imagining, that I would be able to do a truncated program to receive an MArch. This is the question that I'm not finding an easy answer to, unfortunately.

Mar 11, 12 5:01 pm  · 
 · 

if you become licensed in another country, and practice there for several years licensed, then you can become licensed by the aia after undergoing a few exams and paying them lots of money. Last time I checked, you need to put in 7 years into another country though.

Mar 11, 12 5:46 pm  · 
 · 
Seth Embry

Thanks, James. I figured there were alternatives, and I know that in New York (where I currently live) you can become eligible for registration by working under a licensed architect for something like 5 years.

Mar 11, 12 6:26 pm  · 
 · 
nmgeller88

Just got an acceptance email from U Washington! was a little surprised to get an email on a Sunday but I'm not complaining!

Still waiting on Berkeley, Syracuse, Va Tech, IIT, and Wash U

Mar 11, 12 7:17 pm  · 
 · 
arch16

@jordans99: i agree with whyarch. it's not a big deal about admission stats but it's the sake of curiousity. obviously, regardless of how much the school is talked about in this forum is not indicative of how great the school will be for us individually. id definitely like to know how many students will be in my class, whether it's bigger or smaller than other schools. the professor to student ratio, etc...

Mar 11, 12 8:31 pm  · 
 · 
FederallyFunded

Just to piggy back on the discussion does anyone know anything about the acceptance rate at the gsd or Penn?? Anything about number of students incoming into the m. Arch I program???

Mar 11, 12 9:19 pm  · 
 · 
utaustin2012

For the GSD MArch 1 people, anyone receive both the $10,000 "Deans Merit Scholarship" or any other scholarship along with the GSD level 1 or 2 grant?

And anyone happen to know what the criteria are for awarding these other scholarships? Thanks!

Mar 12, 12 11:31 am  · 
 · 
enmod

@utaustin2012

did you get any scholarship besides grant 1 or 2?

Mar 12, 12 11:35 am  · 
 · 
Jord99

@WhyArch + Arch16,

I apologize if I came off a bit harsh in my last post. It makes sense to want to look at how many students are accepted to your program, what your class size will be, and professor:student ratio. I just wanted to stress that acceptance rates are not always the strongest indicator when looking at how at quality of school-- Something you both echoed. I too would be interested if anyone knows addition details regarding the program.

Mar 12, 12 11:56 am  · 
 · 
Anxiety

On the topic of the UC schools and finance, beginning the 2010/2011 school year, UCLA M. Arch's have a new annual "professional fee" of $8000 on top of tuition.

http://www.gdnet.ucla.edu/gss/library/1011proffeesarchsclwlfr.pdf

Mar 12, 12 1:29 pm  · 
 · 

I just got my acceptance letter in the mail from Yale. It was the same exact as the email sent out last week... sadly nothing else was in the envelope... still waiting on this package! 

Im so glad that email was sent though. Had I just opened the mailbox today and seen that flimsy little envelope with Yale  University written on it, I would have flipped! 

Mar 12, 12 2:00 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: