Archinect
anchor

The world's first LEED Platinum Pre-Certification

chinaLEED

I am so pleased to receive confirmation from USGBC that my project are reviewed and awarded the world's first LEED Platinum Pre-Certification!!! My project is named Xihu Tiandi Phase 2, which is located in Hangzhou, China. And I am the second LEED Accredited Professional from China. Anyone who is interested in my project, just feel free to contact me.

Mar 18, 05 5:35 am
Mum

You might want to let USGBC know about your success! Maybe they need to revise the article below.

http://www.usgbc.org/News/usgbcinthenews_details.asp?ID=1323&CMSPageID=159

Mar 19, 05 6:32 pm  · 
 · 
Janosh

And this one...

http://leedcasestudies.usgbc.org/overview.cfm?ProjectID=236

Mar 19, 05 7:43 pm  · 
 · 
Mum

Ooh! And this one too!

http://leedcasestudies.usgbc.org/overview.cfm?ProjectID=234

Mar 19, 05 8:15 pm  · 
 · 
chinaLEED

My project is still in the design stage and awarded LEED Core & Shell Pre-Certification at Platinum level. So it is just pre-certified but in my point of view it actually mean alot for China and the world.

Mar 19, 05 8:20 pm  · 
 · 
Mum

Actually, this is kind of interesting. I've never heard of this before but congratulations. And congratulations to China. Maybo you should have clarified a little what your project was. LEED people here would probably be interested to hear how this progresses.

http://www.usgbc.org/DisplayPage.aspx?CMSPageID=146

Mar 19, 05 8:28 pm  · 
 · 
chinaLEED

The contributions of Hangzhou Xihu Tiandi phase II pilot are not only its feedback to the LEED-CS but also its endeavor to explore the practical implementation methods of LEED in China.

Site Condition Brief

Covering approximately 20,000 square meters in area, the lot includes many 2 to 3-story 1940’s residential buildings, as well as “new” public housing units from the 1980’s.

The desired plan will be 2 new 7-storey buildings and 20 traditional Hangzhou-style houses within the site.

Restoration and Renaissance

With a meticulous effort to preserve the spatial and visual character of a large portion of an existing vernacular lakeside village, much of the village will remain exactly as it has been for generations.

In a renaissance a culture comes alive again. New artifacts are created, and like the old artifacts, they are expressions of art and architecture of their time.

Contribution of Sustainable Strategies

1. Earth Cooling & Heating
Through thermal exchange between air and soil, ambient air is circulated in the earth tube around the basement wall and distributed to the inner courtyards and public semi-open corridors.

2. Radiant Cooling & Heating
Pipes will be placed underneath the paving tiles in different floors to adjust the ambient temperature by radiant thermal transfer.

3. Free Cooling & Heating
Use the exhaust air of the retail areas as free cooling and heating for the inner courtyard circulation zones.

4. Photovoltaic Panel
Supply 80284 kilowatt of electricity per year.

5. Absorption Chiller
Use natural gas as heat source and lithium bromide as refrigerant agent.

6. Rainwater Reclamation
Rainwater at roof and terraces will be treated and re-used for toilet flushing, irrigation and road cleansing.

35% of energy use is reduced and 19,814 gallon recycled rainwater will be supplied.

LEED Implementation

One of the major challenges is how to rationally convert the two different design codes and obtain approvals from USGBC and the Chinese government for design and construction permits.

Parts of the educational purpose, translations into Chinese for contractors’ understanding and researches in local practices similar and comparable with the LEED requirements are important.

Material selection will affect about 10 credits in LEED-CS. Specifications from local manufacturers are in compliance with the Chinese government regulations, laboratory’s test reports are based on local practices, different from LEED. However, some local common practices are also beneficial to LEED credits.

Finally LEED always acts as a guideline for integrated design in the development.

Mar 19, 05 8:34 pm  · 
 · 
chinaLEED

I also submitted my presentation narrative to USGBC for the 2005 GREENBUILD to be held in Atlanta. I believe we could act as a model for Chinese projects and also benefitial for USGBC's strategies on China, the fastest developing real estate market in the world.

Mar 19, 05 8:37 pm  · 
 · 
Mum

Do you have any idea what the cost impact is on a project like this? One of the complaints I've heard about LEED is the increased cost, but a lot of the increase is in the finishes and other items that wouldn't apply to this project becuase it's only a shell. I'm not sure what actual percentages are but I've heard anywhere from 10% to 50% for a fully complete building.

Mar 19, 05 9:51 pm  · 
 · 
Mum

Oh, and I apologize for the negative response above.

Mar 19, 05 9:52 pm  · 
 · 
chinaLEED

In my point of view, the costs of LEED should be divided into two parts. One part is just for LEED, including LEED consultancy service, energy & daylight simulation, documentation and certification expenses. The other is cost for sustainable systems, actually which are depend on what strategies you choose. For pure LEED cost, it is only 1-5% of construction cost, for sustainable systems, should be evaluated case by case. In general, PV panel is the most expensive one. For our project, the earth tube is the most cost-effective measurement, its cost can even be ignored.

Mar 20, 05 12:19 am  · 
 · 
chinaLEED

It is also reported that if only for certified level of LEED certification, no additional cost could be achieved.

Mar 21, 05 9:36 am  · 
 · 
chinaLEED

My friend told me that my experiences of LEED could let me easily find a good job in U.S. Is it really?

Mar 22, 05 8:27 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: