Archinect
anchor

alt. careers w/arch degree

sanofiSYN

I'm assuming most of the people who are on this forum are in fact designers/architects, but I'm also sure for every one who is there are five others who decided not to go that direction. I know many people from university who opted not to pursue arch as a career. What are some careers that your former classmates who got fed up w/arch ended up with? Also, what's the best way to market an arch degree (undergrad) for switching careers, to let's say finance, for example? Or law? I know there is always the grad school route, but in terms of work experience prior to, what's some good advice to follow?

Mar 16, 05 10:50 pm
vado retro

"there's room to move as a fry cook." name that movie

Mar 16, 05 11:15 pm  · 
 · 
sanofiSYN

you got me. what's it from?

Mar 16, 05 11:31 pm  · 
 · 
Nancy

i heard many people who graduate with an architectural degree actually go into theater--designing stage sets and stuff

Mar 17, 05 1:23 am  · 
 · 
sharpie.

there are many people i know, who changed lines for a few years to experience another creative field. i for instance became a level architect creating the levels inside a computer game. its not becoz i got fed up... i just wanted to do designs, GRAVITY LESS designs for a different kinda world. i`m satisfied with the work, but will not continue. "changing ones line for a short time to gain more experience.." that`s it.

Mar 17, 05 8:32 am  · 
 · 
Ms Beary

I happen to be in on the gossip of my former classmates. You're in luck. Hope it's what you are looking for.

I have a friend that works for a truss manufacturer running computations through a computer. She gets paid 150% of what I do. She draws framing plans for cookie cutter houses and stuff.

Several have become commercial realtors. Our "most likely to succeed" classmate went this route. (We didn't really have a vote.) I am sure he will still be very successful, just not in architecture.

Two teach architecture at the university.

Two went into construction.

Several are now product reps. They needed the money, me thinks.

One is a web/graphic designer. He didn't really care for gravity either.

One of our class's best designers is a buyer of furniture for a hotel chain. He goes to shows and schmoozes a lot. He loves his job, gets flown all over the country.

Another of the top students is now an interior designer more than an architect. She got the second highest starting salary right out school from our class.

One works for a prefab houses manufacturer.

One is a musician in a small band in Seattle. And a wedding photographer.

Nancy, I heard that about set design too. Funny thing is, is that set designers have their own education. I have a friend who's husband went to school for that. They do post job offerings where architects can find them though.

One designs Sprint stores. Over and over again.

Mar 17, 05 9:21 am  · 
 · 
Manteno_Montenegro

I did not go all the way to getting my undergrad degree in Architecture, I changed majors to Advertising after 2 1/2 years out of, you guessed it, frustration.
I ended up with a Minor in Architecture. The knowledge and skills I learned in just 2 1/2 years (as well as two final upper level arch courses to complete my Minor) were incredibly valuable in learning graphic design, and applying all of that to web design.
It ended up being a great combination of things. Think about how much all the initial stuff you learn in Arch is completely burned into your brain, grids, proportions, color, etc, etc.
I enjoyed architecture, but became frustrated with the math side of it - something I never really excelled at.

Mar 17, 05 9:57 am  · 
 · 

I want to get into fabrication, and from what I've heard from others that I've talked about this route, its a somewhat common deviation. I've bumped into a couple people on this forum that have done so.

I want to move to somewhere warm where I can ride my bike to work and make stuff all day... but right now its not in the cards.

Mar 17, 05 9:59 am  · 
 · 
SpringFresh

maybe you could fabricate the cards, and then stack them in your favour..

Mar 17, 05 10:00 am  · 
 · 
innes

vado retro - that would be REPO MAN.
masterpiece.

Mar 17, 05 10:31 am  · 
 · 
A

Strawbeary - how does one become a hotel furniture buyer? Sounds just like the kind of gig I'm looking for.

Mar 17, 05 12:24 pm  · 
 · 
Smokety Mc Smoke Smoke

I'd advise against going to law school.

Mar 17, 05 1:39 pm  · 
 · 
Manteno_Montenegro

I work at a law firm. Great people, lawyers, but wouldn't for the life of me want those work hours.

Mar 17, 05 1:55 pm  · 
 · 
vado retro

the life of a repo man is intense!!!

Mar 17, 05 6:08 pm  · 
 · 
A Center for Ants?

also always can go the developer route. get to make more money and be the client.

Mar 18, 05 1:41 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: