is an explanation really necessary?

Mar 16, 05 10:59 am  · 
 · 
oe

Yes.

Mar 16, 05 11:12 am  · 
 · 
siggers

Albert Einstein said some quality things, quite incredible really, I go for him too at the moment, though Plato said some good sh-t too!

Why?

"The most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the source of all true art and all science. He to whom this emotion is a stranger, who can no longer pause to wonder and stand rapt in awe, is as good as dead: his eyes are closed." Albert Einstein

Mar 16, 05 11:28 am  · 
 · 
Smokety Mc Smoke Smoke

Bertrand Russell and dragonflies

Mar 16, 05 11:41 am  · 
 · 
Ms Beary

smokety - is he the author of Why I am not a Christian?

Mar 16, 05 11:42 am  · 
 · 
Jr.

Sartre, because every time I arrive at a conclusion, it turns out he got there first; and gall wasps, because Alfred Kinsey studied them.

Mar 16, 05 12:03 pm  · 
 · 
Smokety Mc Smoke Smoke

Yes, but I prefer his other writings such as "The Problems of Phlisophy" and "The Conquest of Happiness"

And dragonflies are pretty darn cool ....

Mar 16, 05 12:05 pm  · 
 · 
c

p.virilio... actually not my favorite, but fond of him, as no one reads/assigns him here at school, so i throw him like a wrench into discussions just to be obnoxious.. my own private philosophher... i am sick of kids going on ab Foucault and Derrida when they haven't read em! at least i don;t pretend to have read them.
has anyone (succesfully) made some reference to an obscure philosopher who doesn't exist? i think i should develop one - would call him something like..Levanto or Hausenhoff

Mar 16, 05 1:50 pm  · 
 · 
Center for Ants

adam smith / fireflies

adam smith cause it's sorta funny how he never would've imagined Wal-Mart and fireflies cause they frickin' glow. mother nature's so strange.

Mar 16, 05 2:35 pm  · 
 · 
oe

/

Maurice Merleau-Ponty/Pseudomyrmex Ferruginea(acacia ant) While Hussurls breakthrough to the phenomenological reduction, eg, that consciousness is the self-recognition of phenomena existing through the body, rather than a detached, reflective, internal entity, handily corrects for inconsistencies in Kant and Descartes, I believe his impulse to once again focus on an internal sense of ‘being’ was not the most appropriate starting point. Merleau-Ponty masterfully draws his investigations first from pre-personal perceptions, and examines the ways in which ‘being’ rests upon, and exists through and as their ultimate truth, alora, il bel paradosso di vita, / Mutalism between plants and ants in space and form, c'est l'amour,

Mar 16, 05 7:23 pm  · 
 · 
instrumentOFaction

Oh, now i get it. this thread was an semi-overt vehicle for oe to impudently astound us...gotcha. at least oe continues to fill the 'landfill of words' he/she so eloquently labeled this forum in another thread. I call 'shenanigans'!

Mar 16, 05 7:46 pm  · 
 · 
Minimal Animal

Derrida and the Praying Mantis...
no difference between the two...

Mar 16, 05 8:04 pm  · 
 · 
dia

nietzsche.ants.

Mar 16, 05 8:10 pm  · 
 · 
Osl8ing

Nietzsche/firefly...live in the moment...

Mar 16, 05 9:33 pm  · 
 · 
oe
I call 'shenanigans'!

? astound ? I meant it in the most endearing way possible, sorry to offend ?
Mar 16, 05 9:39 pm  · 
 · 
oe

p.s. I like Einstien too, er like as a funny character, but I dont pretend to understand all the equasions and so forth. Less philospher and more math-poet?

Mar 16, 05 9:43 pm  · 
 · 
db

wittgenstein / ladybugs

flit about and do no harm

Mar 17, 05 1:38 pm  · 
 · 
garywg

"to be or not to be..............!!!" ~ Shakesphere
this is simple but DEEPPPPPP....!!

"I am not a player....but I crush a lot" ~ my Ex-Roommate
This is inspiring

Mar 17, 05 2:16 pm  · 
 · 
MiesvanderRice

oe, I would say that to purposefully posit oneself as "endearing" is contrived. Does anyone really say, "I was trying to be endearing."

Mar 17, 05 5:00 pm  · 
 · 
oe

we mean,t 'landfill of words' in the most endearing way, eqt

Mar 17, 05 5:34 pm  · 
 · 
Platypus

Nietzsche and those robust hairy bumblebees.

"Spirit is the life that itself cuts into life: with its own agony it increases its own knowledge."

Mar 17, 05 5:57 pm  · 
 · 
Jeffrey Chan

I always thought that this is one of the best analogy I can find for the work architects do:

"You may decry some of these scruples and protest that there are more things in heaven and earth than are dreamt of in my philosophy. I am concerned, rather, that there should not be more things dreamt of in my philosophy than there are in heaven and earth"

Nelson Goodman

Wittgenstein's Bettle; Don't think, LOOK!

Mar 19, 05 2:57 am  · 
 · 
badass japanese cookie

good god. i just realized i don't have a favorite philosopher!
or a favorite insect!

Mar 19, 05 11:21 am  · 
 · 
nicomachean

Kant: because my philosopher can kick your philosopher's ass.

Ants: because they seem alien...

Mar 20, 05 2:22 pm  · 
 · 
BOTS

Baudrillard: so much hyper-reality, so much more escapist

Makes our life cycle look bland...

At age 4...success is...not peeing in your pants.

At age 10...success is...making your own meals.

At age 12...success is...having friends.

At age 16...success is...having a drivers license.

At age 20...success is...having sex.

At age 35...success is...having money.

At age 50...success is...having money.

At age 60...success is...having sex.

At age 70...success is...having a drivers license.

At age 75...success is...having friends.

At age 80...success is...making your own meals.

At age 85...success is...not peeing in your pants

Mar 20, 05 3:02 pm  · 
 · 
optimk

Francis Bacon aka William Shakespeare because he invented science and said things like this:

"The corruption of philosophy by superstition and an admixture of theology is far more widely spread, and does the greatest harm, whether to entire systems or to their parts. For the human understanding is obnoxious to the influence of imagination no less than to the influence of common notions. For the contentious and sophistical kind of philosophy ensnares the understanding; but this kind, being fanciful and tumid and half poetical misleads it more to flattery. For there is in man an ambition of the understanding, no less of the will, especially in high and lofty spirits."

2nd place goes to Dr. Edward O. Wilson, author of the book Consilience and famous biologist. He says cool stuff like this:

"I believe that the Enlightenment thinkers of the seventeenth and eighteenth centuries got is mostly right the first time. The assumption they made of a lawful material world, the intrinic unity of knowledge, and the potential of indefinite human progress are the ones we still take most readily into our hearts, suffer without, and find maximally rewarding through intellectual advance. The greatest enterprise of the mind has always been and always will be the attempted linkage of the sciences and humanities. The ongoing fragmentation of knowledge and the resulting chaos in philosophy are not reflections of the real world but artifacts of scholarship."

Favorite insect? Praying mantis becuase its introverted like me.

Mar 20, 05 6:14 pm  · 
 · 
vado retro

robert zimmerman -locusts

oh the benches were stained with tears and perspiration
the birdies were flying from treee to tree
there was little to say there was no conversation
as i stepped up to the stage to pick up my degree
and the locusts were singing off in the distance
and the locusts sang such a sweet melody
and the locusts were singing off in the distance
the locusts were singing just for me...
robert bobby zimmerman-day of the locusts

Mar 20, 05 9:20 pm  · 
 · 

johny keats, though little robbie zimmerman is always up there

but john cuz he wrote

The blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere
The ceremony of innocence is drowned;
The best lack all conviction, while the worst
Are full of passionate intensity.

and

Give me women, wine, and snuff
Untill I cry out "hold, enough!"
You may do so sans objection
Till the day of resurrection

He had humanity down; and sums up our own little place in it right about now, sad to say.

oh, and ants are cool. that whole emergent organisation thing always blows my mind.

Apr 8, 05 6:28 am  · 
 · 
Carl Douglas (agfa8x)

derrida. there, i said it. i'm sorry. he's probably not even a philosopher.

crab-spiders. don't tell me they don't exist. i'm looking at one right now. It's standing very still on my bathroom mat. it's awful-looking, about the size of a dinnerplate, and seems pretty real to me.

consider this post as written under erasure, or under the influence.

Apr 8, 05 7:04 am  · 
 · 

wups.

that first one wuz by yeats. but is ok cuz i found an even more profound quote by someone or uther literary-like.

goes somehting like this:

[A less-enlightened personage once asked Ummon\\
what is the God-nature/Buddha/Central truth?\\
Ummon answered hum//
A dried shit-stick]

how much more philosophical can you get?

but really, why bugs and philosophy? This is one of those cosmopolitan personality tests isn't it? The one where you find out if you and your partner will stay together for life...

Apr 8, 05 7:20 am  · 
 · 
rabbits

deluze/eupholus beetles

deluze because he was overshadowed by deconstruction and yet put fourth the most coherant philosophical/critical method in response to the "post modern condition"

eupholus beetles because they have the most beautiful elytra on the planet and eupholus is also the name of a friend's record label. heh.

-andrew

Apr 8, 05 10:44 am  · 
 · 
MADianito

MARVIN MINSKY (not philosopher) and ANTS...

Derrida was a philosopher, like with tendencies to linguistic, but a total philosopher

Apr 8, 05 11:03 am  · 
 · 
liberty bell

agfa8x, your post made me look in alarm under my desk for a giant crab spider, just in case....creepy.

Eeeeeee-mmanuel Kant was a real piss-ant who was very rarely stable
Heidegger Heidegger was a boozy begger who could drink you under the table

someone help me out....

Apr 8, 05 1:18 pm  · 
 · 
rabbits

David Hume could out consume Schopenhauer and Hegel...

Apr 8, 05 1:22 pm  · 
 · 
ether

yeah, i'm looking at the time he posted that and thinking that's some scary ass shit... a dinner plate?! yikes

Apr 8, 05 1:24 pm  · 
 · 
LenaV

Jesus/Potato Beetles

Apr 8, 05 3:00 pm  · 
 · 
LenaV

No wait. Perhaps scarabs.

They're dung beetles, I know, but their religious implication and the reverence they received from the Egyptians is remarkable.

Apr 8, 05 3:06 pm  · 
 · 
MADianito

John Lennon/beatles

duh! soooo freshmen

Apr 8, 05 4:40 pm  · 
 · 
pasha

Jesus/love.

ants/work ethics..

Apr 8, 05 5:19 pm  · 
 · 
LenaV

pasha, I agree.

Jesus/love, hope for the meek
scarabs/life

Apr 8, 05 7:18 pm  · 
 · 
alphanumericcha

Plato because he was first and just made philosophy fun and popular darn it.
and
Dung Beetles

Without either we would be in a world of shit...#1at#2

Apr 9, 05 11:05 am  · 
 · 
architecturegeek

Paul Viriio, I feel his writings have more of a resonance now, the more I delve into digital stuff, as they act as warnings.

And slugs... which ironically probably has some relation to the philospher.

Apr 9, 05 7:20 pm  · 
 · 
oe

Oh, finally! A brilliant and unique reference, thank you my geek :)

Apr 10, 05 5:24 am  · 
 · 
apple79

ralph waldo emerson
ants

Apr 16, 05 10:20 pm  · 
 · 
oe
In related news

www.princeton.edu/~alexmk/adynatonism.htm

ha ha :)

Apr 29, 05 4:56 am  · 
 · 
batiment

can superstudio count as philosphers? if not, sartre. and as for insects, probably ants.

Apr 29, 05 5:08 am  · 
 · 
batiment

oe-

ive never heard of the comte, but he sure does have an odd name

comte d'nouille sans aubergines du momf

comte = type of cheese
nouille = noodle
aubergine = eggplant

Apr 29, 05 5:18 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: